Author Topic: Hawken-half stock flint build (Finished)  (Read 4484 times)

Offline hudson

Re: Hawken-half stock flint build (Finished)
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2020, 05:15:42 PM »
Really nice build love it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2020, 09:26:54 PM »
Looks good!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2020, 09:27:24 PM »
Couldn't help myself.  Too nice a day and I really wanted to get this gun sighted in.  First two shots were for effect.  Adjusted windage and filed down the front sight some.  Next 5 shots all touch a nickel at 30 yards.  Next session, I take a sliver off the blade and get it more centered but for now, I', satisfied.

Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2020, 09:28:41 PM »
Could you show a pic of what you did to the Buttplate??

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2020, 09:29:37 PM »
By the way:  Use 75 gr of FFg with pillow ticking lube with bear grease.  Spit wiped barrel between shots. .490 Hornaday roundball.
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »
Could you show a pic of what you did to the Buttplate??
I was just talking to a friend of mine who does a lot of gun work and he was experimenting for my idea as well.  We both feel that I need more heat on the plate and that might warp it and I already have it fitted so I am thinking to just drop that part for now.  If I come up with a solution to put a copper bead on iron, I'll post it.  For now, "Don't mess with success!"
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2020, 09:34:20 PM »
What do the shot patches look like?

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2020, 09:44:35 PM »
What do the shot patches look like?
Funny you should ask.  I just took a picture of one.

Cheers, Michael Kuriga

greybeard

Re: Hawken-half stock flint build
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2020, 02:38:39 AM »
The build is continuing:  Yesterday, I couldn't stand it any longer and figured I would go ahead and "hand" file the end of the breech plug so it would alight with the top flat of the barrel and then even tackle removing some off the end of the barrel so the hook would seat properly.  Taking my time, I got it looking and fitted great!  Of course then I had to start inletting the long tang which I have never done one before.  Again slow and sure.  Finished that up this morning.  Please note:  I do know that I am doing a little of this build out of order and of course, you should get your barrel in and then the lock but with what I had at the time, I followed the beat of a different drummer.  Also yesterday, I did a lot of polishing of the metal parts.  And, so far so good.
This afternoon, I installed my lugs for the wedges and inletted them into the channel of the stock.  My method of for cutting in the lugs or sights is to cover the intended area with Dykem.  Mark out the position of the top of the lug minus the wedge.  For the depth, I take my calipers, measure the thickness of the base of the wedge and use the pond on the end of the caliper to mark the side of the barrel for depth.  Do a series of cuts and dress up with triangular file hitting the two ends just a little to get a wedge guide.  Then I take a #8 jeweler blade and cut the wedge deep enough so that I see about 1 1/2 blade widths have cut in.  Then taking a cold chisel peel up the wedge.  I usually dress that up with a few strokes of the file.  Lightly tap in the lug and with a flat punch push down the metal.  With care and after browning the barrel it almost looks like these parts were machined on. 

Wow!  A left handed monkey wrench.  Dont see one of them very often..

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2020, 04:49:55 AM »
Nice job gb. I like it very much. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2020, 04:59:01 AM »
Good group, a little scorching around the circumference of the ball, showing some blowby.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V