Author Topic: 3 inch bore  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Tim May

• Starting Member
3 inch bore
« on: April 01, 2020, 09:57:09 PM »
Built a few years ago. Reasonable accuracy with shot and great boomer!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: 3 inch bore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 10:00:15 PM »
Built a few years ago. Reasonable accuracy with shot and great boomer!

Very nice. I was thinking of getting one of those to point down the driveway. To protect my toilet paper horde.

Love it.

Offline Tim May

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 10:28:20 PM »
It keeps tailgaters off your a## when trailering down the highway.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
Even if it's just poking over the tail gate of your truck.  :o
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:15:18 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline yip

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 02:28:57 PM »
   LIKE IT!!!!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 04:59:08 PM »
Longrifle versus shortcannon.   :-)  Love it. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 06:09:38 PM »
He looks a tough little chap!

Sort of a terrier version.

You should call him Dudley!  (After Colin Willock's Jack Russel...)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 07:31:07 AM »
Tim,

I love your gun.....and I love Pukka's suggestion for a name......"Dudley" !

When I was a junior in high school (~1970), I built this 3 inch bore iron gun.  (The whole thing weighs about 1400 pounds).  How the world has changed !!!!  Back then I used to fire it at all my high school football games.  I built a trailer for it and would come into the school with the cannon and 50 pounds of black powder.  Can you imagine what would happen in today's world if a kid showed up at school with an artillery piece and trunk load of powder !

I still shoot it....largest gun in my collection.......Here is the son of a friend of mine firing it not long ago......

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim May

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 03:24:31 PM »
Dave, Nice gun mine has a 25in. tube maybe total weight of 500 lbs . You must have good crew to move and fire yours .I did muzzleloader demos. Carried it on bus into school and back home. Now you can't even have a pocket knife .

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 10:11:02 PM »
Built it while a junior in high school - WOW. Amazing guns.
Daryl

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 02:33:57 AM »
Tim,

Even at 500 pounds, I'll bet that was a trick wrestling your gun into a bus !!  And yes, it takes at least 3 people (and 4 is much better) to transport and set up mine.  Not to speak of the amount of powder and shot it takes to feed it.  What I consider a standard "service" charge is a half pound of cannon powder and a 3" zinc cannon ball.  These days, that amounts to about $20 to $25 a round.  I have also made and fired chain shot, bar shot shot, and several rounds of canister.  I think the only thing I haven't shot out of it is red hot iron shot.... :o

Daryl,

Yes....the story of building that cannon is very entertaining.  From starting off making a giant carbide cannon to evolving into making the casting pattern for an iron barrel and almost burning the house down trying to build a home made iron furnace.....quite the adventure !
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 05:05:27 AM »
The barrel is one thing, but that carriage is a piece of art as well.
I am in awe.
Taylor built up a 3" gun back in the 70's, which was pretty good, on wheels and carriage
as well.  We used to shoot 1/3rd pound of  1F powder & a 3" iron ball from a gold mill. 
They were case, and had a flashing around them. Taylor ground that off and they became
 3" round shot.
A "shot" fired had to be over the SOSound (invisible and fast) and would make and almost
instantaneous 12' diameter  cloud of pulverized granite dust come off "The Chief" each shot.
The Chief was a granite rock face that was almost vertical up to 300 or more feet high out of
the ground at the end of the rifle range.  It was 300yards to the rock face's bottom.  We'd shoot
several "rounds" at it then go up, find them, clean them off and shoot them again. What fun for
2 young cops - lol.
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 06:30:10 AM »
DaveC2,

That is altogether Beautiful work!

And Yes, ..the world has changed!

Thanks for the photos and story.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 07:45:06 PM »
Tim,

Did you build the wheels for your gun?  And is the barrel one of the South Bend Replica products ?
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim May

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 01:19:05 AM »
Dave, The wheels are Amish made.The barrel came from Hern iron works. I made the trails, axle and iron trim.