Author Topic: tool repair  (Read 5129 times)

Offline 490roundball

tool repair
« on: August 02, 2009, 05:38:32 PM »
This nipple wrench has seen some use, it came with a well cared for percussion double and I would like to see if I can replace the split brass collar and keep them together.  I found a matching turnsrew to complete the accessories set.

any one have a source for these, are they available anywheres?  otherwise i'll scrounge through a flea market and cannibalize some other tool that fits.

thanks
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
Re: tool repair
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:42:24 AM »
I got some from Lee Valley Tools here in Canada. Truex Corp in Pawtucket Rhode Island has a good selection as well.
If you google 'brass ferrules' you'll find lots of suppliers.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:55:44 AM »
thanks - duh - never thought to call it a ferrule, 
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 03:25:27 PM »
 Try going to Lowes or a pluming supply and get a brass fitting about the same size, you may find one with an ID that will fit, if not drill it out and turn it to the shape you want. Just an idea.

Tim C.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:35:47 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Longshot

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:31:27 PM »
Take the measurement you need and make your own from a short length of brass pipe or a nipple.  Check thru the Plex fittings at the Depot.

omark

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
Take the measurement you need and make your own from a short length of brass pipe or a nipple.  Check thru the Plex fittings at the Depot.
                 nipple???          wouldnt that hurt???   ;)

Ole Doc

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:39:11 PM »
  You may also try going to a welding supply store and try to find hose repair ends .. they come in many sizes and turn down over the one end.
 They are a b-metal and a bit harder than clean brass so you may want too glue on and maybe lightly punch the sides in place.
 Nice to keep old tools working and looking good.
Good day ... ::)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:40:58 PM by Ole Doc »

bountyhunter

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 10:12:08 PM »
I would try to find a cartridge of the appropriate size and cut a piece off of it.  It is difficult to tell from the photo what the diameter of that is.  I save cartridges that I pick up, or ruin some way, and then if I need a ferrule or band, I just cut a slice off.  You can get nickeled cartridges in .32, .38 and on up.  I have some file handles with what was originally bases from 20 ga shot shells.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 02:19:34 AM »
I make tools like this one all the time, from miniatures to full size.  I often need to make odd sized ferrules.  Most hobby shops (and McMaster Carr) carry a selection of brass tubing from K & S Engineering.  The tubes are made with a 0.015 inch wall and are made to telescope together, so they come in a large range of sizes from 1/16 inch up to about 1 inch in diameter.  Here is their web site - they have a local distributor finder, but , as I said, the tubing is available at many hobby shops and hardware stores.  The tubing is sold in 1 and 3 foot lengths for a couple of dollars.  I have repaired tools like yours by removing the old ferrule and replacing it with a new one made out of this tubing.  Or, I have on occasion, simply pressed a new ferrule on right over the damaged or broken one.  If you need to round over the edge of the ferrule, as the one in your picture show, just anneal the piece of tube before you install it and burnish the edge over.  Or, instead of sawing off the short piece of tube for the ferrule, cut it with a tubing cutter.  That will automatically put a rolled over edge on one end.  Hope this helps.

http://www.ksmetals.com/products.html

or

http://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-alloy-260-tubing/=3e2lg5

P.S.  These guys also sell tubing in aluminum and copper and sheet brass, copper, and aluminum, etc. in small pieces and strips.  Very handy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:42:07 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 03:16:57 PM »
Or you could form and solder on together from sheet brass!

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 04:13:33 PM »
Looks like a 7mm mag case (or other) cut before and after the bottleneck would work.
Rick
I just noticed the previous post. You gotta be quick.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 04:17:09 PM by Rick Sheets »
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Ole Doc

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 03:07:08 AM »
 years ago in a real hobby shop picked up a decent sized bag of brass peices n scrap ... mostly round tubing and some square stock ... to this day have it in a big coffee can for "projects" like this ... figure by the time I kick the lid may go on the can.
  The brass has come in handy for projects like rods n starters and measures n such
nothing like good junk.