Author Topic: Don Brown Alexander Henry Rifle Replica  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Camino

• Starting Member
Don Brown Alexander Henry Rifle Replica
« on: April 20, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »
I inherited this rifle from a well known gunsmith and collector it was my privilege to know.  He got it to participate in long range muzzle loading competition in Sacramento but found it was too difficult for him with all the position changes required to clean, load and shoot.  It remained one of his prize possessions and he was a highly competitive benchrest shooter till his mid 80s.  I took these pictures with my Nikon Z7 and 24-70/4.0 lens.  The lighting was with Profoto strobes.

I am just looking for information regarding these replicas.  I do not know who actually did built the kit.  I hope you enjoy the pictures.

lexus lfa 0 60

Offline T*O*F

Re: Don Brown Alexander Henry Rifle Replica
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 09:00:40 PM »
I am just looking for information regarding these replicas. 
See the current thread on Alex Henry in Gunbuilding.

I do not know who actually did built the kit.
I would say that Don Brown built it.  It has his initials on the barrel.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Camino

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 09:21:33 PM »
That's very interesting.  I didn't know Don Brown built many of his rifles, but the initials are certainly prominent enough.  Thanks for the information.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 11:14:33 PM »
I didn't know Don Brown built many of his rifles, but the initials are certainly prominent enough.
That's his sporting rifle model.  It has an octagonal barrel, and under rib, and ramrod.  I don't know what the twist was on those.   

The Long Range model had an octagon to round barrel and no under rib.  They were 1 in 18' twist.  Ken Owen made some of the early barrels, later ones used Badger until Ernie sold out.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline 45-110

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 11:56:43 PM »
Very fine rifle indeed! At 1:18 twist is it a roundball rifle? The muzzle has a fairly deep crown. What caliber is this one? I thought these where bullet guns.
kw

Offline Camino

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 12:25:12 AM »
I'll have to check the twist but it was purchased to shoot .45 caliber heavy bullets, so I believe the twist should be 1:18.  It would be considered .451 I believe.  I'll take some measurements when I get a chance.  Maybe the heavy countersink on the muzzle was to make it easier to start the bullets. Keeping the base pristine would be essential to good accuracy.  I'm pretty sure he was shooting a 500+ gr bullet with a heavy load of Swiss No.1.  I don't recall if there is a mould in my stuff or not.

Interesting to know it's a hunting rifle, not a long range gun.  This is all great information.

Offline snapper

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 12:47:46 AM »
It is a bullet rifle, not a round ball gun.

Both of my barrels with my Don Brown rifles had/have the crown finished that way.   My first one, a buddy that was fitting the sights cut the barrel off flush to remove it thinking that it would give better accuracy.  The second rifle was not cut down and still has the same crown finish.   I cant say which rifle shoots better as they both give acceptable accuracy.  Neither one is difficult to load.

As I stated on a different forum, this rifle could be a long range shooter, but with the ramrod the style is more for hunting, not for target work.  Also the rear sight is not tall enough for 1,000 yards, might get you to 500 yards.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline ScottH

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 01:06:27 AM »
Sorry you lost your friend.
You have a very fine muzzleloading rifle from his collection!

Online Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 06:14:10 AM »
Mid-range tang sight, for sure.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 08:20:59 PM »
It's a beautiful rifle...exemplary in its class.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Camino

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 10:01:13 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  It's a very nice in the hands, too. 

Offline Kynoch

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 05:52:27 PM »
First, sorry for the loss of your friend.  It's a very lovely rifle that you will enjoy.  I really love the style and the way these rifles feel in the hands and to shoulder.  This was very well put together, but I don't believe that Don built this particular rifle.  The examples that I've seen, Mr Brown had put his full name on.  I also believe that his middle initial was "H". No slight meant, and regardless, it really is a great example that you should be proud to own! I have one built from a kit in 16bore (.66 cal) that is my go to hunting rifle and a bullet rifle like yours built by Don.  I reall enjoy them both and feel fortunate to have them.  Congrats again and enjoy it like your friend did.

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 10:09:17 PM »
  I also believe that his middle initial was "H".
Kynoch, apparently you are correct -