Author Topic: Never had this happen...  (Read 3022 times)

Offline stretchman

Never had this happen...
« on: April 27, 2020, 06:34:54 AM »
Getting ready to shoot this afternoon.  Ran a couple of patches through the bore to remove any oil from the last cleaning.  Popped one cap to clear the flash channel, went to pop another, but the nipple was gone...

russian image hosting

Offline walks with gun

Re: Never had this happen...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 06:57:08 AM »
   Wow, never saw that before.  time for a easy out I guess, least it's a cheap fix.

Offline steven baker

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 11:13:22 AM »
Try a drop or 2 of wd40 to allow it to penetrate before you start the removal ,it may help take care Steven.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 04:29:24 PM »
If you can't get an easy out to fit or work, maybe a small punch and just start trying to punch in the out direction?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 04:44:47 PM »
 I would try to get my hands on some AeroKroil instead of WD40. WD40 is designed to displace moisture, not loosen seized, or rusted parts. I also would try to get my hands on a left turn drill bit to drill the hole in the nipple. A left turning drill bit usually will catch, and turn the broken nipple out without the need for an easy out. Been there done that, go slow and don’t get frantic.

Hungry Horse

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 05:55:34 PM »
   Wow, never saw that before.  time for a easy out I guess, least it's a cheap fix.

Me either :o -- first soak the broken nipple with some penetrating fluid for an hour or three then before you buy an easy-out get an old small file that has a square tapered tang and lightly tap the square tang into the hole then give it a turn with any luck it will turn out. If not then go to the next step as was posted above.  Good luck!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 05:58:46 PM »
I had a poorly fitting nipple blow out a number of years ago. Have never seen one seperate like this.
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 08:45:41 PM »
I've never had that happen before, either and been shooting cap-locks since 1972.
As to loosening, I suppose, but my nipples are removed for barrel cleaning, every time
I've used the rifle. :D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 09:10:36 PM »
I’d hit it with a torch to at least completely temper the nipple so the easy-out can grab it. Plus itboften loosens things.
Andover, Vermont

Offline stretchman

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 11:48:08 PM »
I always remove the nipple after every shooting session. I learned from past experiences to apply a liberal amount of oil on the threads before reinstallation. Luckily, I was able to remove the threaded section of the nipple fairly easily. Just jammed a small three sided file in the flash channel and unscrewed the remaining section.  I have to admit I was thankful with how things worked out.  My thoughts are what would have happened if the nipple had separated while being fired?  Would the hammer/hammer cup have kept the nipple from flying back into my face?  Another good reason to wear safety glasses...

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 11:55:22 PM »
Soaking in mineral spirits works well for me then I reinstall with a dab of anti seize from the auto parts store.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 05:10:36 AM »
Convert it to a flintlock. You will be happier.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 05:10:48 PM »
stretchman,  I had just that happen years ago.  Blew the nipple and went through the tin roof above me.  Needless to say it was a frightful experience.  The ringing in my ear lasted a couple of hours.  The flinching a bit more.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 12:09:33 AM »
You must have passed on the Remington or CCI primers, and used some from Dynamite Nobel...…

Glad no one was hurt, and it was easily repairable.  I always use copper Anti-Seize - worked on my airplane plugs, works on my firearms.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 12:49:39 AM »

Left-handed drill bits make the job one step simpler. 

Center it up, start drilling, and the broken part almost always comes out on the drill before you drill it through. Once you try it, nothing else makes sense.  ;)

whoops, I see HH covered it already. Indeed:
I would try to get my hands on some AeroKroil instead of WD40. WD40 is designed to displace moisture, not loosen seized, or rusted parts. I also would try to get my hands on a left turn drill bit to drill the hole in the nipple. A left turning drill bit usually will catch, and turn the broken nipple out without the need for an easy out. Been there done that, go slow and don’t get frantic.

Hungry Horse

To that I would add that I never buy Aerokroil anymore-because it always quits spraying before the can is empty. I now only buy the non-pressurized can- Kroil (Kano Labs, Nashville).  14 bucks or so.  Lasts a long long time.  (of course I punched a hole in the Aerokroil can and dribbled out the rest of that juicy goodness).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:54:46 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 01:17:11 AM »
My thoughts are what would have happened if the nipple had separated while being fired?  Would the hammer/hammer cup have kept the nipple from flying back into my face?  Another good reason to wear safety glasses...

If the cup in the hammer is striking the nipple on an angle, that in itself could be the cause of fracturing the nipple. Another possiblibity is the neck, between the nipple boss and threads was turned
a little fine, making that section more week than normal. It appears to be quite 'thin' in the picture, above where the file entered the flash hole.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 02:43:16 AM »
Did it break where the thread terminates? That's a classic stress point.

Mike

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 08:04:21 PM »
 Daryl reminded me of what an old trader did to my old CVA mountain rifle when it broke a nipple off just like the one pictured. We got the threaded portion out of the drum, and the old timer said just what Daryl did after examining the hammer. I was a pilgrim with my first rifle, and figured he knew what he was talking about, so I left it with him to fix. When I came back he had removed the cup on the front edge of the hammer, I was appalled, but he explained that the inside edge of the cup was clipping the nipple. I shot it and it was fine. Wherever that old rifle is today it no doubt still shows signs of rendezvous surgery.

Hungry Horse