Author Topic: Smoothbore guys Question...  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Smoothbore guys Question...
« on: April 27, 2020, 08:35:11 PM »
Just wondering....when shooting out of the bag...what do you keep your lubed patches,nitro cards, and wads in...for easy access ? Thanks ! Pics are always welcome.

Offline Daryl

Re: Smoothbore guys Question...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 08:48:41 PM »
For hunting or trail walks, I use Sucret's tins, or Track's snuff or tinder boxes.
I use all of these, except for the candle-holder/tinder box, bottom left or the
oval strike box B.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/107/1
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 09:31:53 PM »
what do you keep your lubed patches in
Run a string thru the center of them and tie it to your bag or horn strap.  Then just pull them off one at a time.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 12:47:24 AM »
Haven't used any of that stuff.
Psalms 144

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 02:06:41 AM »

This is an old photo. Lubed felt wads, uncut thin "overshot" cards and "overshot" cards with a slight cut in the edge to allow air to pass when seating. I build the whole load at the muzzle now so don't need the cut cards.
This is for squirrels and small game. For turkeys I have the thin uncut cards, thicker "nitro" or over powder wads, and some cushion wads soaked to saturation in olive or coconut oil in another tin for the "Skychief" load.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 02:41:28 AM »
My answer is the garbage can, but thats just me. I don’t use patches, and use hornets nest, or paper cartridges, for shooting shot.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 03:27:56 AM »
My pouch has an interior pocket that I carry my wads (scrap leather) in. I just fish out whatever I need when it comes time to load. I'm finding more and more that simpler is better... No digging out individual containers for each element of a load. Just a pocket or two to keep everything in it's place.

I'm not setting any speed records that way... But I'm not in the midst of a fight with the Shawnee either.

I'm still working on developing loads for this gun so things may change as time goes by.

Edit: Figured I would add a picture or two since you mentioned it...

I started out cutting wads off of pieces of scrap leather... Easy to find those pieces of leather in the bag.

Last time I went out I used an arch punch and made up a handful of 5/8" discs out of scrap leather before I left and just tossed them in the interior pocket...

Not sure which method I will stick with. Time and performance will tell I guess.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:39:39 AM by Mike from OK »

Offline Skychief

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 04:35:25 AM »
My method looks like brokkennock's above.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 02:27:26 PM »
This is a really good post, especially if you have tried different approaches.

My two cents is this...you end up using the best kit for what the gun shoots best. 

This little fowler for some reason only groups well with the paper cartridges shown in the photo.  I was careful to cut the paper pattern and roll the paper around the ball for a snug fit and lube with one of the cleaning waxes.  I had to up the charge.  I also have to swab every fifth shot or so.

I still don't know why it shoots best with with this cartridge arrangement, but am glad I can get away with a belt bag and a cloth envelope full of them

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 12:22:52 AM »
I carry 5 or 6 lubed patches in an ancient cap box.  Cards and fiber wads are either loose in the bag or in another, larger tin.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 02:40:39 PM »
Shooting ball, just a tin with greased patches.  When shooting shot, hornets nest.  That all u need.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »
I carry all that $#@* in my hunting vest pockets unless I'm shooting round ball.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?