Author Topic: Amount of shot needed for a 24 gauge  (Read 2469 times)

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

Amount of shot needed for a 24 gauge
« on: April 30, 2020, 05:37:48 PM »
Friends, I need a little advise:  I recently finished a build of #98 in the RCA books of a Beck .58cal  (The original was a .57 and like that gun, I have STRAIGHT rifling.)  So that also works out to be a 24 gauge scattergun.  My plan is to take it turkey hunting and later this year for Black Bear.  I have mostly used a 2 3/4 inch double hammered gun built in 1890 that has served me well and have taken now 49 turkey.  I would like to take #50 with this Beck.
I usually use #4 shot however, for this gun have #5's to get a few more out there.  I get a good pattern at 30 yards but , not that much shot in the vitals.  I know it only takes one in the right spot.
Currently I am using 45 gr. of both ffg and shot.  Powder, retaining card, wad, shot, retaining card. (Picked up the wading package at the Lewisburg show this past Feb.)
This is my first experience with BP shot and am I at the right loads?
Raining cats and dogs right now so only have tomorrow to experiment since Saturday is our opening day for Gobblers.
Thanks for any advise.

Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Amount of shot needed for a 24 gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 05:49:24 PM »
What kind of pattern do you get with your current load at your expected hunting range?

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 05:53:31 PM »
What kind of pattern do you get with your current load at your expected hunting range?
At 30 yards, I'm getting about a 15 inch pattern, fairly evenly spread out
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 05:59:38 PM »
At 30 yards, I'm getting about a 15 inch pattern, fairly evenly spread out

Pretty darn good.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 06:13:42 PM »
So do you all think I have the right load?
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 06:17:01 PM »
I would say 15” at 30y is a keeper.

Online EC121

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 06:22:40 PM »
That is a pretty good pattern.  Since you are going to experiment tomorrow.  You might do a search and read about the skychief load.  It is nothing more than an well-oiled cushion wad on top of the overshot card with two overpowder wads over the powder instead of an overpowder wad and cushion wad.  Doesn't sound like it makes sense, but anecdotal results say it works to improve a cylinder bore pattern. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:25:44 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 06:27:17 PM »
That is a pretty good pattern.  Since you are going to experiment tomorrow.  You might do a search and read about the skychief load.  It is nothing more than an well-oiled cushion wad on top of the overshot card with two overpowder wads over the powder instead of an overpowder wad and cushion wad.  Doesn't sound like it makes sense, but anecdotal results say it works to improve a cylinder bore pattern.
Worth a try. 
Hopefully Saturday night I’ll post a picture of a longspur!
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »
"""""""""Currently I am using 45 gr. of both ffg and shot.""""""""

Only a 45 grain charger full of shot??? That is a pretty light load!!!! Normally a "square' shotgun load starts at what ever the bore size is. I would start at least 58/58 grains, pattern it and add a few grains more shot at a time to fill in any holes. When You get a good pattern then see of you shot will penetrate a steel soup can or vegetable can at you intended range!!!...
Ed Hamberg

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 06:39:44 PM »
Square load is great advice. I’d not heard the idea to base it on bore diameter but I like it. Thanks, Ed.
Andover, Vermont

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 07:00:37 PM »
"""""""""Currently I am using 45 gr. of both ffg and shot.""""""""

Only a 45 grain charger full of shot??? That is a pretty light load!!!! Normally a "square' shotgun load starts at what ever the bore size is. I would start at least 58/58 grains, pattern it and add a few grains more shot at a time to fill in any holes. When You get a good pattern then see of you shot will penetrate a steel soup can or vegetable can at you intended range!!!...
I knew there was some sort of formula.  The gun was making just a little pop versus a nice report when shooting a round ball with 100 gr of ffg.
Can’t wait to try that tomorrow.
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 07:48:23 PM »
I used to use 7/8 oz #6 shot and 75 gr of 2F in my 24 ga fowler.  I once totally dusted a clay bird at 60 yards with it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 08:46:21 PM »
15" pattern at 30 yards is better than full choke performance, imho.
70% in 30" at 25 yards, is cylinder bore performance.
70% in 30" at 40 yards is full choke.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:50:47 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Standing Bear

Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 10:07:06 PM »
I know it doesn’t list loads for a 24 ha but24 is 1/2 way between 20 and 28 soooo....
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »
My 24ga likes 70gr 2F, hornets nest, 80gr shot, and hornets nest.  I keep my shots under 20 yds.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »
I'd be loading much heavier. Say 80gr 2FF and maybe 1 1/4oz shot. You aren't limited by a shot shell here so get serious about it. 
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 01:44:47 AM »
Well I kicked it up to 75 gr of ffg and .8oz of #5 and got a great pattern.  Problem though:  No gobblers heard or seen at all on Saturday!  did have three jakes and a hen come within 25 yards as well as a 100 pound black bear.  They just weren't talking at all that morning.  Here in Pa. we can only hunt till noon for the first two weeks and then all day for the rest of the month.  Also, there is no Sunday hunting.  So, I got to give this gun a try.  Wish me luck.
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 02:50:56 AM »
My cousin's daughter and her boyfriend went out hunting (near Toronto) on Saturday and 'collected' this one. Appears a young Jake (or not, just doesn't look like a 20 pounder to me).
If I were a betting man, I'd guess he used a 12 bore with a heavy load.
I would think a load around 65gr. to 70gr. 2f and 1oz of shot should be a good load for turkeys from a 28 bore. The length of the shot column will not matter much at all.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:05:48 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Joe S

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 05:40:46 PM »
Appears a young Jake

A jake will have the middle 2-6 tail feathers longer than the rest of the tail feathers. This is an adult bird.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 09:25:01 PM »
OK- didn't know that. TKS, Jose.
Daryl