Author Topic: Early Wing Shooting Reference Books/Sources  (Read 998 times)

fishlein

Early Wing Shooting Reference Books/Sources
« on: May 01, 2020, 04:52:10 AM »
Note I'm not new to the forum but it's been a while. Feel free to suggest other areas of the forum for this request.

I am a writer who dabbles in traditional muzzleloading as both a hunter and a writer. I am looking for some accounts, personal stories, diaries, etc from early wing shooters/upland/waterfowl hunters - preferably East Coast, even better if in the Virginia/Shenandoah River Valley area. Preferably those who used flintlock fowlers/smoothbores. A many times removed Great Grandfather (Jacob Rinker) was a officer in the Virginia militia during the Revolutionary War. I''m looking for experiences similar to what he may have had during that period - say 1750 to 1800. My main need is to add some personal historical reference to my writing.

Note that I have the typical reference books like Tom Grinslade's "Flintlock Fowlers." I really would like to find some personal accounts of their use - not their overall history. Of course it would also be nice if such material was not in the form of rare books that would cost me more than my next fowler project.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Offline Carl Young

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Early Wing Shooting Reference Books/Sources
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
I,m thinking Col. Hawker if I remember right. Might have the name or spelling wrong though.

fishlein

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 03:37:10 AM »
Thanks - those give me a few leads. Will see where they take me.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 10:41:36 PM »
The Book of Muzzleloading #6 has an article by Chris Gilgun entitled " Wing Shooting with a Flintlock Shotgun "   This is an extremely informative work for those who are serious bird hunters.
From a historical perspective, I think you would well to contact Chris as well as Paul and Mark Daiute .
There are references to original writings re wing shooting in Chris Gilgun's article.