Author Topic: JACK DUPREY - SODDY DAISY & EAST TENNESSEE  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
JACK DUPREY - SODDY DAISY & EAST TENNESSEE
« on: May 02, 2020, 08:48:18 PM »
So, I finally received my two rifles from Jack. 11 days in the mail. Darned virus. I bought his very latest, and Jack says his best effort to date, Soddy Daisy School rifle in .36 caliber. Jack finished this one last year. I had to almost pry it out of his hands as he had decided to keep this one for himself. As you can see, I prevailed. At the same time Jack told me about a friend of his who had one of his Upper East Tennessee rifles in .40 caliber that he built 10 years ago (I think he was trying to steer me over to that one), so I scooped that one up as well. Saved me on shipping, right? I include in the pics my Kibler SMR in .45 caliber (Western North Carolina based on the work of Joseph Whitson) so those that don’t know can see the overall similarity in architecture between many East TN Mountain rifles and the North Carolina rifles made just the other side of the border.

20 or so pics coming. (The Soddy is center with no grease holes. Kibler on top. Upper East TN on bottom.)

..and remember to keep Jack in your thoughts and prayers...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:31:24 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: JACK DUPREY - SODDY DAISY & EAST TENNESSEE
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 08:49:37 PM »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 08:53:29 PM »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 08:59:59 PM »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 09:01:26 PM »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 09:02:58 PM »

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

LuVerne Schumann

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 09:18:06 PM »
Holy cow! That's the best comparison between a Soddy Daisy and East Tennessee iron mounted rifle I've seen.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 11:39:43 PM »
Bob: at the rate you are buying rifles and accouterments we may as a group on ALR have to do an intervention! You my good friend have fine taste in rifles. What great additions to your fine collection.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 11:50:42 PM »
Nice stuff. You have really become the big time gun dealer lately.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 12:30:39 AM »
Yep. I’ve been picking up a few. I’ve about doubled the value of my collection in the last year. Time to settle in and learn how to shoot these rascals.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 01:03:54 AM »
Close you eyes and jerk the trigger. That's how Stoner Creek does it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 02:41:56 AM »
Close you eyes and jerk the trigger. That's how Stoner Creek does it.
Whoa up there old buddy. That kinda sounds like a challenge. You want to shoot for quarters sometime?? I’ll show you how we do it on Stoner Creek!!! I’ll beat you with both eyes tied behind my back  ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:07:52 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 02:42:28 PM »
That's some fine looking pieces you got there. It's nice to see them side by side for comparison. As I've never seen a Soddy in person, I didn't realize they had such a prominent ridge down the side of the buttstock.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 04:31:10 PM »
It’s a very interesting feature terminating in a diamond shaped BP. It’s my favorite feature of these guns....

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 10:14:45 PM »
  Bob you did good an thanks for showing. I have a real appreciation for Jack's Soddys. They are a pleasure to shoot. He has over the year's let me shoot several. But sadly when he has one up for sale...it seems always at the wrong time...
  Thanks for showing...
Oldtravler

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 10:37:46 PM »
Thanks and you're welcome. I posted this mainly for you. They are gorgeous. It's as slim and trim as the Kibler. And with a 40.5" 3/4" straight barrel it balances very nicely at the pipe. I've been playing with it today. The hollowed out cheekpiece and sharp ridge along the wrist does give me a very nice reference point for consistent placement of my cheek. Shooting erect and across my body from the top of the bicep in the Southern style puts the ridge right in the corner of my mouth which is awesome, and it feels even better pointed up at a 45 degree angle towards those Limb Chickens... Very well thought out design I think. I'm going to like shooting this one...I'm glad it's in .36. I like it so much I called Catherine and had her send me a .45 barrel for the Kibler.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:51:21 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 04:31:59 AM »
  Bob sometime ago before Jack's late wife became sick. I was down visiting them. Of course Jack had just finished one of his rifles. SO we proceeded to his range out back. He shot the new gun a couple of times to get the sights set. Then he asked if I wanted to shoot an of course I said yes...well I drilled the center of the target. He looked at me took the gun an we walked to the house. Being the prankster that Jack is...he started throwing a fit when Mrs. Dixie walked in.. She said Jack what's wrong..? He said he out shot me with my own gun...We all had a great laugh..  Thanks Bob..much appreciated...  Oldtravler

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 04:38:14 AM »
Great story. Of course, for those who dont know, Jack is a fabulous shot. He sent me targets he shot freehand at 25 and 30y before he sent out the guns. You could’ve covered each group with a quarter.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 04:28:46 PM »
  Bob your right..for 80+ he's not to bad... Lol  neither Jack or I sight a gun in from a bench...Yeah can't take a bench to the woods can you...?  THANKS again Bob...Oldtravler

LuVerne Schumann

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 06:07:27 PM »
It’s a very interesting feature terminating in a diamond shaped BP. It’s my favorite feature of these guns....

Forgive my ignorance, but studying these two rifles makes me think about the main difference that makes an iron mounted Tennessee rifle a "Soddy Daisy" style.

1. Two sharp lines running from wrist to butt, with a sharp comb terminating in a diamond profile butt plate.
2. Cheek piece incorporated into the shooters side of the sharp line in the butt.
3. Lower profile grip on the trigger guard terminating in a whifferdill.
4. Blended forearm with no ramrod entry thimble
5. Long iron sideplate vs short oval
6. No nosecap

Is this correct?

These pics make me want to go all Soddy Daisy on my build....

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 06:40:49 PM »
Well, there are guys here who can really nail it down for you, like CCF and others but a distinctive, yet familiar TN style side plate and a distinctive swaged buttplate as well. There are some variations. This is a copy of a particular original.

A search will show you several rifles so you can see what they all have in common.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 06:43:07 PM »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 02:21:40 AM »
 :o :o :o... Bob,... you did very well to get these two rifles,... Jack's work simply never comes up for sale... !!! ... looks like you have gotten two of his best builds, too,....He's one of the BEST builders, and the BEST  fellow too,... treats everyone like he has known them all his life,... Proud to call him friend ... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,....

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 02:39:42 AM »
:o :o :o... Bob,... you did very well to get these two rifles,... Jack's work simply never comes up for sale... !!! ... looks like you have gotten two of his best builds, too,....He's one of the BEST builders, and the BEST  fellow too,... treats everyone like he has known them all his life,... Proud to call him friend ... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,....

He's an unbelievable fellow. From the day I met him, just like you say, he treated me like I was his oldest pal. They don't make em like that no more....

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2020, 06:19:44 AM »
Bob, you are simply getting too many fine rifles.  I think you could store a few of them here with me, and I will take fine care of them.

Envious of that Soddy Daisy rifle.  Looks like it would be a fine, fun, shooter.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.