Author Topic: Ol' Plugs FINITO!  (Read 4090 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Ol' Plugs FINITO!
« on: May 04, 2020, 06:20:33 PM »
Here it is. As I said before, this was an experiment in Lehigh architecture. I dropped the comb down to 1 1/2" drop. Unfortunately it dropped the tail of the lockdown which ended up locating the vent on the lower part of the side flat instead of the high part. ::)  The cure here would have been using a different lock such as the Dale Johnson with the droopy tail which would boost the lock location up....live and learn. The Albrecht lock from Zornes would have worked well too for this drop.
 The patches are kind of disapeared....better than worm holes. I left more file marks on the mounts than usual, didn't want to jack up the price more than I had to. All the carving is in  simple relief, same old pattern I always use. Need to draw out a new pattern for the next one, getting lazy. ::) This is the most "uncurled" piece of maple I have ever used, hard to get stained the way I wanted, really hard wood. Stained with Klein's orange toner which is mostly sanded off. Then a coat of Brooks' Canary Yeller, followed by 3 coats of LMF something or other followed by Klein's dark brown. Finished with Minwax tung oil.
 13 3/4" pull and weighs just under 7lbs.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Ol' Plugs FINITO!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 07:18:35 PM »
Neato! Cool sideplate. Turned out great. I really like the color as well. Patina spot on. She's a dandy!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:56:55 PM »
I like the rifle MIke.  Your carving looks nice and clean.

Is the hammer screw turned in all the way?  In your last pic, it looks like the screw isn't bottomed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 08:05:26 PM »
I like it MIke! I only see 2 plugs. A very folksy Lehigh! I am doing one right now too and should be done in a week or so. Some similarities are unavoidable.
Tom C.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 10:01:27 PM »
Turned out nice Mike.

Jeff.
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 10:07:50 PM »
Very nice Mr. Brooks. Looks like a shooter to me!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 05:51:09 PM »
   Mike as I said in a different forum...there are fancy rifles an there are rifles that have character an soul this one has Both an that folksie side to it also....YOU nailed..it...!!
  Oldtravler

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 09:40:03 PM »
That's just dandy!  You can patch wood with the best of them.  Little steam will go a long ways towards fixing all those dents though. ;)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 10:50:59 PM »
That's just dandy!  You can patch wood with the best of them.  Little steam will go a long ways towards fixing all those dents though. ;)
;D
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 06:12:09 AM »
Mike, you made a great looking, very usable rifle that anyone would be proud to own and shoot.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline old george

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 03:27:22 AM »
Nice looking smoothie Mike.
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline EC121

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 06:45:00 AM »
Mike:  Will the next one be rifled.  A Lehigh is on my list.   
Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 05:05:58 PM »
Mike:  Will the next one be rifled.  A Lehigh is on my list.
Yes, but I hope to keep it. It's a hoyt super light swamped .44 cal.  There will be others.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 02:41:05 PM »
This gun works!.70gr 2ff .480 ball and .018 pillow tick prelubed with some sort of wonderlube stuff. ended up with a 2 1/2" 5 shot group @ 25 yards off hand.  No slap, no kick. Boy am I wobbly. ::) I don't think I have shot a rifle since 06/15/17. Got done with the session and decided o take the trigger creep out and lighten up the trigger pull. Another session coming up, I expect better results with the improved trigger.
 The Buffalo gnats picked me up and moved me sideways 10 feet at one point. Must have swallowed 10lbs of the pesky things. :P

Offline LynnC

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 06:39:29 PM »
Hi Mike,

Your Lehigh turned out great. I have much more to learn of their architecture before I attempt one.

I’d be interested in how you take out the trigger creep and lighten the pull weight. Thanks.......Lynn
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:45:31 PM by LynnC »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
Hi Mike,

Your Lehigh turned out great. I have much more to learn of their architecture before I attempt one.

I’d be interested in how you take out the trigger creep and lighten the pull weight. Thanks.......Lynn
To eliminate creep I reduced  the height of the full cock tumbler notch. To reduce the weight of the pull I reduced the width of the sear spring.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 02:46:18 AM »
Thanks Mike. I will file that away for future trigger tuning.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 03:49:03 AM »
I like the antique look to the finish.  Looks great.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 02:53:42 PM »
Thanks Mike. I will file that away for future trigger tuning.
I have no idea how the pros do these  sorts of things so I may not be doing these things right. Has always worked for me though.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 04:54:51 PM »
Ive only built about 20 guns and certainly wont approach your near 400. I’ll take your advise any day 😉 Thanks for the tips.