Author Topic: Newest member of the family  (Read 4743 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Newest member of the family
« on: May 07, 2020, 04:48:38 AM »
Here is a photo of my latest addition to my collection of rifles.  It is a little Mike Brooks .58 caliber rifle paired up with a James Rogers double bag and a Mike Small horn.  I think each piece compliments the other rather well.  I have had the bag and horn hanging around my shop for about 10 years waiting for this day.
David

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Newest member of the family
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 04:57:21 AM »
Nice Dave! I know she’s going to like it there! Great looking setup, that little rifle deserves a nice Rogers bag and that Small horn looks pretty darn cool! Enjoy it!

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 05:08:58 AM »
Make that picture black and white and it could be from any time in the past 250 years!

Well done
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 02:38:02 PM »
Did you shoot it yet?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 04:40:00 PM »
Did you shoot it yet?
Yep,
I put about 30 rounds through it on Wednesday.  Lock is lightening fast and that was with using 3fffg powder to prime.  The flint showed no signs of wear when I was done shooting.  Trigger pull is super nice.  The bore on that barrel is very tight.  I was using spit patches and tried both .570" and .575" round balls.  The .575" balls were a killer to start.  I am going to try some greased patches before I throw in the towel and succumb to the larger balls.  I enjoyed trying the ghost ring rear sight but plan on changing it out to a V notched model.  I think the ghost ring would make a nice hunting sight but I am too used to conventional iron sights.  A very fun gun.
David     

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 04:42:32 PM »
BTW, got the Docs yesterday Dave. Thanks a bunch! That’s a super thing you did.

Offline David Rase

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 04:53:17 PM »
BTW, got the Docs yesterday Dave. Thanks a bunch! That’s a super thing you did.
I wish more people would do that kind of thing.  Maybe the topic would make for a good discussion on this site. 
David

Online Daryl

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 06:10:50 PM »
Nice bit of kit, you've got there, Dave.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 10:47:47 PM »
Ok I give what is Docs?   Nice rifle Dave. 
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 10:58:28 PM »
Ok I give what is Docs?   Nice rifle Dave.

The rifle Dave traded to me for the one you see in this thread was provided with letters from the builder to the first owner and so on to Dave. Dave continued that by providing a letter to me along with each previous letter. Pretty great and something that should be done on each of our Custom made Contemporary Longrifles, IMO.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 12:33:30 AM »
Did you shoot it yet?
Yep,
I put about 30 rounds through it on Wednesday.  Lock is lightening fast and that was with using 3fffg powder to prime.  The flint showed no signs of wear when I was done shooting.  Trigger pull is super nice.  The bore on that barrel is very tight.  I was using spit patches and tried both .570" and .575" round balls.  The .575" balls were a killer to start.  I am going to try some greased patches before I throw in the towel and succumb to the larger balls.  I enjoyed trying the ghost ring rear sight but plan on changing it out to a V notched model.  I think the ghost ring would make a nice hunting sight but I am too used to conventional iron sights.  A very fun gun.
David     
I started the balls with a short starter and hammer. But, I do that with every thing as I have alot of trouble with inflammation in my hands. I was "probably" shooting .570 and .018 pillow tick with wonder lube. Probably 65gr 2ff.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 02:13:44 AM »
That is a very nice combo!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 03:09:41 AM »
   David very nice set up...Everyone that speaks of a Brooks gun. All tell about how lightning fast they are...Nice..but a couple more pics would be nice...  Oldtravler

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 03:30:51 AM »
   David very nice set up...Everyone that speaks of a Brooks gun. All tell about how lightning fast they are...Nice..but a couple more pics would be nice...  Oldtravler

I owned that rifle for a few years and clacked the lock on it next to other guns that have Chamber’s Early Ketlands on and I still can’t figure out why Mike’s are so buttery and fast. They make half the noise dry firing as my other Early Ketlands. (Yes, I’ve Mic’d the springs) I’ll bet he plants them 4” deep for a year in that Iowa soil.....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:33:57 AM by Bob McBride »

Offline David Rase

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 12:51:39 AM »
Here are a couple of closeups of the James Rogers bag and the Mike Small horn for you Mike.  There is a great story from Mike on how this horn ended up with the hide patch.  I went back out and put another 30 rounds through this rifle this morning.  I decided to try some pre-lubed patches in lieu of spit patches.  I used a mixture of 50/50 beeswax and Neat's foot oil for the lube.  Using the same .016" denim patch and .570" round ball the difference was like night and day in the ease of loading.  I might have to give the .575" balls a test run next time out.  Came home and lubed up a bunch more patches for Tuesday.
David

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 01:08:48 AM »
Wow, Dave, that bag and horn set is fantastic.

Offline jim alford

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 03:03:51 AM »
Don't keep us hanging Dave. Tell us the the saga of the patched horn.

Offline David Rase

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 05:36:13 AM »
Don't keep us hanging Dave. Tell us the the saga of the patched horn.
Jim,
First off, let me tell you how I know that the horn was destined to be mine.  I first spotted the horn at the Lewisburg show in February.  I did not part with my cash at that time and passed on the horn.  Six months later, in Lexington at the CLA show Mike still had the horn.  A voice in my head said that this horn must be destined to be mine since it was still available after all that time.  As Paul Harvey would say, "Now for the rest of the story"  As you can see from the photos, the horn was fully engraved.  After engraving, Mike put a pot of water on the stove and commenced to dye the horn.  According to Mike, while the horn was in the dye bath Mike decided to seek refuge in his favorite chair.  While relaxing in the chair, Mike ended up dozing off.  When he awoke, the pot was dry and the horn was scorched on one side, ruining some the engraving in that spot.  Hence the leather/rawhide repair. Now you know the whole story.
David       

Offline jim alford

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 08:10:24 AM »
Good story.Personally ,I NEVER doze off when I sit in my chair.NOT MUCH!!!

Offline jim alford

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 08:12:27 AM »
Good story.Personally ,I NEVER doze off when I sit in my chair.NOT MUCH !!!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 05:04:10 PM »
I’ve loved that little rifle ever since Mike first posted pictures of it...nice to see it’s found a home. Now, go bust a big ol’ Roosevelt elk with it!  Super nice bag and horn setup, too. Congrats!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Online t.caster

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 07:45:50 PM »
I love those double bags! I have one from Don Rose and one from Beaver Bill Smith.
Tom C.

Offline David Rase

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 08:28:35 PM »
I’ve loved that little rifle ever since Mike first posted pictures of it...nice to see it’s found a home. Now, go bust a big ol’ Roosevelt elk with it!  Super nice bag and horn setup, too. Congrats!

Greg
Greg,
As great as the Brooks gun handles and as much fun as it is to shoot, I already promised myself to take the second newest member of the family, the Ryckman Family Rifle from Eric  Kettenburg out for the hunt first.
David

Offline David Rase

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2020, 08:31:03 PM »
I love those double bags! I have one from Don Rose and one from Beaver Bill Smith.
Tom,  I like the double bags as well.  This one from James Rogers is nice and small but still holds everything I need for a days shooting.  I put loose balls and patches in the front pouch and my measure and short starter along with an extra flint and flint wrench in the back.
David 

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 05:01:17 AM »
  David thanks for the extra pictures..You sure do have a great set up their...Oldtravler...