Author Topic: Dr R Harley MacKintosh, Sr? South Carolina Longrifles  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Marcruger

Dr R Harley MacKintosh, Sr? South Carolina Longrifles
« on: May 07, 2020, 09:27:32 PM »
I was just curious if anyone is in touch with the family of Dr MacKintosh who died in 2000.  I hear that his collection of SC longrifles was superb, but that he died without publishing what he learned about them.  Is this the case? 

At the time of his death, his sons names and locations were listed as Richard Fewell Mackintosh of Greer; Robert H. Mackintosh Jr. of Columbia and John D. Mackintosh of Lexington.

Just wondering if his research is lost to the ages?

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Crow Boy

• Starting Member
Re: Dr R Harley MacKintosh, Sr? South Carolina Longrifles
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 01:01:10 AM »
John Bivins, in the Acknowledgments of his book "Long Rifles of North Carolina," gives acknowledgement to "Foremost of those who helped is Dr. R. H. Mackintosh of Rock Hill, South Carolina, who began pioneering research in the field of Carolina rifles some years ago and who is continuing this study in depth."  I would assume that Bivins consulted with Dr. Mackintosh at some point, so, by default, could not some of that research have been reflected in Bivins' book?   

In William Ivey's book there was at least one "Owner" reference to the "Mackintosh Collection" (see rifle #154.)

Others know much more.  Just my two cents. 

Caw.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 01:40:19 AM by Crow Boy »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 02:07:13 AM »
George (Shumway) mentioned him as well in RCA II, but that was early 1980s and I've never seen anything authored by him materialize. 

It's actually a bit excruciating to think about just how many guys I know (still living) who have undertaken years of research - and I mean, YEARS - in specific areas of interest, and have never published and probably never will.  It's not though lack of willingness to share, because I don't think I've ever met anyone who was stingy with sharing.  It's just a giant pain in the a$$ to publish anymore, very little money in it if at all, and many don't wish to just plaster it up online for free in consideration of the time and cost spent in research.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 02:47:39 AM »
One has to wonder what  became of the massive number of research files, photographs, and papers accumulated by Wester White up in NY State? If I recall correctly he was going to publish a book on the NE region to include PA. He passed away in the last few years with nothing more heard about his intentions.
Same thing appears to have happened with the Mackintosh materials. It may be that the rifle collection stayed in the family. The rest of the things, nada.
Dick

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 03:15:04 AM »
Mr. no  gold,    P M sent about Wes White
JIM

Offline HIB

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 07:09:39 AM »
Gentlemen, Can not assist re: MacKintosh, but Wes White's papers have been published by the Kentucky Rifle Foundation. They are available on a recent CD offered by the KRF.    HIB

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 10:12:41 PM »
Marc,

Dr. Mackintosh was a friend of mine and a fine gentleman.  He built an outstanding collection of North and South Carolina longrifles in the 1960 to 1980 period.  He had the passion to find these pieces and was able to afford to purchase them when few people could.

I met him in the early 1980's and always found him gracious with his time and willing to share with new collectors like myself.  He invited me to visit his home in Rock Hill, S.C. in the late 1980's.  At that time the only N.C. Longrifle School I had ever heard of was the Jamestown School.  I would not have known what a Rowan Christmas tree patchbox rifle, or a Kennedy, or even a Vogler was if he showed them to me.  He took me into his safe room and I had never seen so many rifles together in one space before.  It blew my mind.  He asked me what I wanted to see and I said his Jamestown rifles. I did not ask to see anything else.

He brought out three outstanding Jamestown patchbox rifles and one pistol.  (All of these are pictured in my current Jamestown book.) There was a silver eagle patchbox rifle with the names "Lamb & Stephens" engraved on the patchbox lid. There was a second eagle patchbox rifle with "W. Lamb Gun Smith" engraved on the lid. The third rifle was the most beautiful engraved Jabez Stephens engraved twisted star patchbox rifle I have ever seen.  The pistol was a flintlock signed with "A. & W. Lamb 50 on the barrel.

To my knowledge his sons Richard and Robert have kept the entire collection.  They have both been friendly with me and allowed me to access select pieces to photograph in recent years.  They provided me photos of an early engraved Moravian powder horn for my new Salem School book. I have occasionally seen both at KRA shows over the last twenty years and wish they were both more active.  They are both very private about the collection and I have respected that.

While Harley was very knowledgeable, I am not aware of any books or manuscripts he may have written on this subject.     

I hope that helps.

Michael
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 11:12:35 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs