Author Topic: Source for pics of Crockett's first rifle??  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Source for pics of Crockett's first rifle??
« on: May 12, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
I think I'm going to build a copy of Davy Crockett's first rifle next year. 
Do you folks know of a good source for pics of the original?
I already ordered the plans MBS sells, and I have pics of Harrison's copy.
Have any of you gents built one? I'd like to see those pics too.
Thanks guys

Offline gibster

Re: Source for pics of Crockett's first rifle??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 04:15:11 PM »
I have a couple of pictures from when they had it on display at the Knoxville show in 2013 (?).  Not much, but hopefully it helps.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 05:52:42 PM »
 ;) ;) ;)... Tim Williams (williamsflintlocks.com) built an excellent re-creation of this rifle a few years back... contact him,... he might can help you,... also,... Townsends (townsends.us) has a great video of Tim discussing this build,.. I saw the original when the State museum in Nashville had it on display there several years  ago,...  I believe it is now on display in Knoxville at the ETHS museum there,... best wishes on re-creating this famous rifle,... !!! ... regards,.. CCF...

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 07:28:12 PM »
Justin,
Danny Caywood built a copy of the Crockett rifle on his web page.  I know you don't want to buy one but the photos might be helpful in the persuit of your future build.    http://www.caywoodguns.com/crocket-rifle2.html
David

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 09:12:42 PM »
Muzzleblasts had an article about it in 87 or 88 I believe written by John Bivens. It had the Houston Harrison recreation and pictures of the original that Hershel House had worked on.

Offline JPK

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 09:35:06 PM »
That must of been a $#*! of a horse for that trade!
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 06:23:59 AM »
Muzzleblasts had an article about it in 87 or 88 I believe written by John Bivens. It had the Houston Harrison recreation and pictures of the original that Hershel House had worked on.

I had the good fortune to hold and examine the rifle that Houston made many years ago just after he finished it.  Like everything he made it was top notch and I believe very accurate rendition of the original.
Unfortunately I have no idea where that rifle resides now.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 09:08:18 PM »
The Houston Harrison copy is a phenomenal rifle. Houston was in a league of his own, I am sorry I never got to meet him. 
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 09:21:35 PM »
The Houston Harrison copy is a phenomenal rifle. Houston was in a league of his own, I am sorry I never got to meet him.

Jim your right about him.  IIRC his first ever rifle was a Frederick Sell copy with the open sideplate and he made every part.  He also played phenomenal guitar and handmade at least one (maybe more) guitar and violin.

Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 06:15:55 AM »
Hi @J.Talbert

I've heard from a couple collectors that Henry Pickel made one of Crockett's rifles.

You ever hear anything to that effect?

Offline tomjanemc

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 11:18:22 PM »
Here’s the Davy Crockett rifle article from the January 1989 Muzzle Blasts written by John Bivins.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 02:22:23 AM »
Ats,

I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with the work of Henry Pickel so I can't offer any insight into whether he my have been the maker of one of Crocket's rifles.

Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 02:48:15 AM »
There aren't too many Pickel guns around to get much of a basis for comparison and his later pieces are somewhat different than his earlier work. I think that I have seen all of three of his rifles, so what I have to say may be taken with a grain, or two of salt. The 'Crockett' rifle is out of the York School, but has the profile of an Adamstown gun. Look at the work of the Sell's and the Ernst's and you see similarities. Also, the carving on the gun is very different from any other
'York' gun that I have seen. Wish we knew more about it. I cannot think of another rifle that this gun is close to in its decoration, and that is perplexing. It is obviously old and is a mighty fine rifle. Could be that it was made by someone who didn't stay in the craft, or passed away before building too many pieces. Many fine makers switched to masonry, farming, inn keeping, mercantile pursuits and the like, giving up their craft.
Dick

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 06:35:52 PM »
Thanks for all the help, guys.
Between these pics, the ones I have, and the plans from MBS  I should have all I need for the build.