Author Topic: GRRW Flintlock Hawken Rifles (Where Are They?)  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Daniel Coats

GRRW Flintlock Hawken Rifles (Where Are They?)
« on: May 14, 2020, 07:43:18 PM »
There used to be two 62 caliber flintlock  Green River Rifle Works full stock Hawken rifles at the factory. They had been to Alaska on a moose hunt prior to 1976 and we're hanging on the wall. Carney remembers them also.

Any idea what happened to them?
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Daniel Coats

Re: GRRW Flintlock Hawken Rifles (Where Are They?)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 03:27:47 AM »
Okay let me open it up a bit. Does anyone know where any Green River Rifle Works flint Hawken rifles are?
Dan

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 09:36:09 PM »
S.N 1 went to Steamboat Springs, Colo., then traveled to Alaska for several years and now is back in Steamboat Springs.

Leman short trade rifle full-stock flint went  also to Steamboat and the last I heard had moved to SW Colorado, also  S.N 1.

Have no idea where any others are.

Carney

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:43:35 PM »
I own a GRRW Flintlock Hawken rifle.  It was made by Gardell Powell in 1978.  It's a .58 caliber.

I know of another five in various collections around the country.  At least one of them is a .62 caliber.

How confident are you about the 1976 date, Dan?  As you can see in this notice about guns that were stolen in May 1976, they had made less than 10 at that time.  According to the information that was given to me by the GRRW smiths making these rifles, none of the first 9 full stock Hawken rifles were .62 caliber.  The notice says the two that were stolen were .58 caliber and according to the records the rest were .54 caliber.

If you are correct on the date, could your recollection of the calibers be off, and the rifles you saw hanging on the wall be the two that were stolen?

Phil Meek

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 09:50:04 PM »
By the way, none of the guns stolen from GRRW were ever recovered.  A person was caught, charged, and convicted for the theft, but the guns may have been dumped or destroyed before they caught up with him.
Phil Meek

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 01:24:24 AM »
I talked about the trip to SLC for a rock concert with my brother a couple weeks ago. He remembers stopping by GRRW and seeing the two flint Hawken rifles on the wall. My impression at the time was they were owned privately and I remember being told they were 62 caliber and just got back from an Alaskan moose hunt. I know they were not for sale because I asked.

I can't believe I still have the ticket stub for the concert but it documents the day I was at the factory and saw the rifles.

Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 01:33:50 AM »
Either way on the caliber question I'm confident the mystery of what happened to the two flint Hawken rifles is solved.

Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 04:11:20 AM »
Many thanks to Carney and Phil for replying to my post. I'll see you both at the Collectors show later this year.
Dan

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 07:39:34 AM »
Cool that you still had that ticket stub.  Must have been a memorable concert.  Growing up listening to country music, I had never heard of that band.  Had to look them up on Wikipedia.  Seems they're still performing.

We both may have learned some from this exchange.

Ed Trump has shared the information from his personal record for the time he spent a GRRW.  He made the prototype full stock Hawken for GRRW and production FS Hawkens number 1 through 7 and number 9.  All but one were flintlock.  Trump's notes indicate that two of the flintlocks were Allen locks and the rest were Siler locks.  Number 8 was made by another smith, maybe Ron Paull, but I'm not sure.

FS Hawken #9 was finished on 5/5/75.  Plenty of time for it to have made the trip to Alaska and back in time for your concert.

But it always made me wonder why #'s 8 and 9 were still in the shop a year after they were finished and part of the theft?  Trump made those eight FS Hawken rifles almost one after another over less than a five month period.  I had assumed most were built on spec, and #'s 8 and 9 just hadn't sold.

Your remembrances provide another explanation in that they were privately owned and just kept in the shop for display purposes.
Phil Meek

Offline AZ Muzzleloaders

• AZ Muzzleloaders
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2023, 11:27:46 PM »
Full stock flintlock Hawken by Ed Trump.  Top flat stamped "6".

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2023, 12:30:14 AM »
What caliber is this one?
Dan

Offline AZ Muzzleloaders

• AZ Muzzleloaders
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2023, 12:37:10 AM »

Offline flinter49

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2023, 04:11:37 PM »
Did GRRW produce a lot of rifles?

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 03:24:32 AM »
Forgot all about Uriah Heep.  During the custom van craze, there was a conversion van around that tried to recreate the Demons & Wizards album cover.
Kunk

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2023, 04:57:52 AM »
Forgot all about Uriah Heep.  During the custom van craze, there was a conversion van around that tried to recreate the Demons & Wizards album cover.

Yep had it loved it and burned a phonograph needle through it! Nice  someone else remembers!  ;D

Dan

Offline BigSkyRambler

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2023, 02:53:42 PM »
Also have UH ticket stub from 75. No recollection of being there. Wish I could have afforded a GRRW rifle in those days, but I guess I spent all my money going to concerts I don't remember.  LOL!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2023, 09:27:27 PM »
Bill Large trained a man from GRRW in barrel making and sold a rifling machine? They did not want my Ketland lock which was a fine performer and looked good on that style of rifle.I sent most of those locks to Germany and Switzerland and no squabbling about price.
Bob Roller

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2023, 11:39:18 PM »
Tanyu Howard went back to Bill Large's shop and was taught how to use the rifling machine and drill.
Right after the machines were set up, I was hired to do the barrels.

Tanyu and Les Holt were killed in the GRRW powder plant explosion.
Les ran the stock duplicator in he  GRRW shop.

Carney

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2023, 02:08:14 AM »

Yep had it loved it and burned a phonograph needle through it! Nice  someone else remembers!  ;D

Remember and still listen when in a rock mood. Rainbow Demon, one of the best on the album.

Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA