Author Topic: 18th century horn powder flask  (Read 2617 times)

Offline backsplash75

18th century horn powder flask
« on: May 16, 2020, 05:02:03 PM »

brass spout, back side is flat.

Governor John Page of Va.

Offline Clint

Re: 18th century horn powder flask
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 05:55:43 PM »
Powder flasks are usually made of metal and powder horns are usually made of horn. Looking at this flask and my last post 'copper horn' reminds me to not use words like "never" and "always" when talking about flint lock guns and the things that go with them. Cool flask!
CW

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:22:20 PM »
backsplash75; Sir, In the Bible of powder horn. "The Powder FLask Book" by Ray Riling. Copyright 1953. (Reprints are floating around) I direct you to page #393 - 401. Heading "HORN", text and 74 horn flasks for your viewing pleasure. Description and pictures. Have a great week. Thanks for sharing. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Crow Boy

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:33:20 PM »
Gentlemen,

At the risk of inferring too much from the 1758 portrait of Gov. Page, he must have been right proud of his flask to have it placed so prominantly in the foreground.   I concur with Clint--cool flask!

-Caw

Offline Mick C

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 04:51:54 PM »
Never seen one of horn before.  I'm guessing it's very rare indeed.  Thank you so much for sharing both the flask and the print.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 06:16:27 PM »
Horn flasks were well know in England, but not common by any means.
Same with coconut, (French V often) and tortoise -shell.
V nice, V different, and V practical!

V nice flask, Clint!!

Offline backsplash75

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 06:29:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on Riling's book, I snagged a copy.  :)

As mentioned above, these were pretty common in English sporting use and portraits, some were used here in America.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Joseph_Wright_(of_Derby)_-_Fleetwood_Hesketh_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:38:52 PM by backsplash75 »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 04:37:59 PM »
Backsplash,

With flasks of this type, it's best to carry them in a pocket or if suspended that way up, (In above photo) to carry under the coat so no sparks can fall into the spout.
I understand the photo is just to illustrate this type, and isn't a recommendation as to how to carry in the field, but just thought I'd throw this in.  :-)

Best,
Richard.

Offline cable

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 06:23:20 AM »
those reminded me of a couple I picked up some years back from an auction.  I suspect these are mid to late 19th century, but what do I know?  they are in fine, usable condition.

anybody know anything about these?  they are both adjustable , not marked as to weight etc , but maybe for shot or powder? 

they seem like they would be quite usable