Author Topic: John Bivins Bicentennial 50 caliber rifle  (Read 5289 times)

robpack@Hotmail.com

John Bivins Bicentennial 50 caliber rifle
« on: May 21, 2020, 03:11:16 AM »
Well the bidding on the John Bivins ends tomorrow Gonna be sad to see it go, but happy it will get shot and used.... Plus the proceeds will help with the purchase of our dream home with a wrap around deck and some acreage to call our own!!!!! Thanks for all the information and help everyone has given me regarding this "ole gun".....

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:01:58 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Stoner creek

Re: John Bivins Bicentennial 50 caliber rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:45:53 AM »
That gun is a bargain at it’s current price.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 04:02:32 AM »
It is a shame for sure. Only us ol hivernans know anything about it,or who J Bivins was. Someone is getting a heckuva deal. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 02:33:12 PM »
Does that rifle have a liner like a white lighting in the touch hole.  Were proably not around in 1976.  I remember well when Bivins was working on these rifles.  I was just getting into owning a custom built rifle.  Still have my mountain rifle that I bought in 1976.
Not sure what the final bid will be but where its at now is a bargain. 
iloco

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 06:09:11 PM »
I remember the goings on with the IRS when those rifles were being built.  Now I am too old to care about buying it.  Oh well!!   ;)
Brice Stultz

Offline iloco

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 11:38:28 PM »
$4625.00
iloco

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 11:51:37 PM »
$4625.00
That is about what I thought it should bring.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 02:50:34 AM »
What Mike said.  I estimated it around $4K somewhere.
Brice Stultz

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 03:45:18 AM »
Indeed !!  8) 8)

Offline iloco

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 05:05:47 PM »
I wonder if a member here bought the rifle...?
iloco

Offline lexington1

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 01:39:34 AM »
I tried, but was the 2nd place bid. I hope somebody here got it.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 03:20:03 AM »
About 15 years ago for a client,  I sold the # 2 gun by Jack Haugh, w/ bag, horn etc. on TOW for $6,500.  Not a good investment of those $ for that amount of time...Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »
 A few years ago I was in a local gunshop here in Lancaster and bought several rifles that had recently come in. I suspect that the Bivins rifle had just been purchased from the dealer shortly before that for a song based on the previous owners original post and conversations I had with the dealer. I always kick myself for not going there a few days earlier. I wouldn't have sold it.

robpack@Hotmail.com

John Bivins Bicentennial 50 caliber rifle (NO.3)
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »
Well my buyer defaulted on the Bivins....It is in gunbrokers hands once again... Thanks again everyone for all the help.. 

Offline lexington1

Re: John Bivins Bicentennial 50 caliber rifle (NO.3)
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 09:27:25 PM »
Well darn. I was the second highest bidder...

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 05:53:18 AM »
This rifle is for sale again.... My last buyer had second thoughts....

robpack@Hotmail.com

Re: John Bivins Bicentennial 50 caliber rifle (NO.3)
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 05:55:32 AM »
yep its back up..... I like it but to be honest I would be SO afraid to drop, scratch, or somehow damage this long rifle hunting with it...I don't get around all that well, and I am VERY prone to small spills and trips....Guaranteed I would mess her up.... Plus the extra cash will help with a home the wife and I are purchasing the end of July..Good luck if you bid on it.....

Offline EC121

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 09:04:01 PM »
It sold today for $4025. 
Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 04:38:26 PM »
It sold today for $4025.
You buy?
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline EC121

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 09:48:57 PM »
Nope.  Wasn't me Mike.  I went out at $3500.  I already have a bicentennial rifle from Larry Mrock.  I'm waiting on your current project now.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 04:29:23 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline lexington1

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2020, 03:38:07 AM »
Sorry, but I bid against you and got the rifle. When I was just a kid I saw these and wanted one in the worst way. In 1979 I graduated from high school and worked that summer saving all of my $ for a nice flintlock. I finally saved $800 and bought a decent rifle. $800 was a lot of money for me then, forget about the 2000 or so that the Bicentennial guns were. Since then I've had many nice longrifles, but I never forgot about the Bivins Bicentennial rifles, plus I always really looked up to Bivins himself. To say I'm thrilled to get this is an understatement.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2020, 03:45:33 AM »
Sorry, but I bid against you and got the rifle. When I was just a kid I saw these and wanted one in the worst way. In 1979 I graduated from high school and worked that summer saving all of my $ for a nice flintlock. I finally saved $800 and bought a decent rifle. $800 was a lot of money for me then, forget about the 2000 or so that the Bicentennial guns were. Since then I've had many nice longrifles, but I never forgot about the Bivins Bicentennial rifles, plus I always really looked up to Bivins himself. To say I'm thrilled to get this is an understatement.

We want to see more pics in the 'Contemporary Longrifles' Subforum and a pic of you and the gun in the OTBF "Post a pic of what you're up to" thread! Nice catch!

Offline lexington1

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 03:47:17 AM »

We want to see more pics in the 'Contemporary Longrifles' Subforum and a pic of you and the gun in the OTBF "Post a pic of what you're up to" thread! Nice catch! 

Will do!

Offline EC121

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 04:24:51 AM »

Congratulations on the buy.  No problem for me.  I have owned one and shot a couple more Bivins guns.  At my age I try to buy the rifle not the story.  ;)   I mentally put a piece of tape over the signature and decide what I think the gun is worth to me.  No builder's name premium added.   I set my price to myself and let the loose ends drag after that.  There is always another rifle just around the proverbial corner waiting for me to find it.  :)

Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 05:09:14 PM »
Nope.  Wasn't me Mike.  I went out at $3500.  I already have a bicentennial rifle from Larry Mrock.  I'm waiting on your current project now.
I guess I better quit fishing and entertaining and get back to work.....LOL!