Author Topic: William Shreckengost rifles  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
William Shreckengost rifles
« on: May 21, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »
Like Mike Briggs, I sure miss seeing longrifles, so I thought I would post this compilation of my ancestor's work.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:26:57 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Re: William Shreckengost rifles
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 09:00:44 PM »
Great job, I am glad you have saved these.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Algae

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:52:44 AM »
Wonderful eye candy!! Thanks Shreck!

Al Jenkins

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 01:13:55 AM »
Rob, you've done a wonderful job putting this collection together.
My personal favorite is the one with the wire repair. I'm a sucker for a well used gun.
Jim
JIM

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 02:59:58 AM »
Thank you for posting these very unique and interesting rifles. You are fortunate to have them since they werre made by your family, but even more fortunate in that you have a stong and lively interest in collecting them and preserving them.
Dick

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 03:03:35 AM »
Thanks Shrek! Super!

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 03:27:37 AM »
Thanks for your kind words. To date I’ve uncovered about 75 of them. My dream would be to gather them all together for a KRA display at an annual meeting.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 06:20:20 AM »
Extraordinary beautiful, thanks a lot for posting these great rifles!
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline rsherman

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 07:04:38 PM »
Thanks shreck,
The first longrifle i got to see was a shreckengost that my grandfather owned in the early seventies. He had it hanging on the wall, the most striking thing to me was the slender tiger maple stock, with it's melow honey color and redish-black stripes,then the mystical, 'witchy' inlaly designs, its the only way i can describe it.
One day i went to my grandparents house, when i went to see the gun, it was gone. Grandpa said he put it away so it wouldn't get stolen. One day i was upstairs snooping and discovered the gun in a spare bedroom and i was finally able to secretly handle the relic! The octagon barrel had an ancient rust brown finish and a tiny bore size. The double set triggers also confounded me because i could cock the gun but couldn't figure how to release the hammer regularly, then sometimes i couldn't cock it at all.
From then on, whenever we visited my grandparents i would try to come up with any excuse to go to that room, or just outright sneak up there to handle that rifle.
Much to my disappointment, my grandpa eventually sold the rifle. As much as I've tried I can't remember exact details of that gun, but the aura of pioneers , and the smokey past that it conjured up in my imagination has never left me.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 07:24:20 PM »
Wonderful story Randy. I feel the same way about them

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 09:17:35 PM »
Some real history there,you should be proud.

Offline rsherman

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 10:31:06 PM »
Shreck, do you remember if you purchased any of your colletion from Phil Lucas?   His name was mentioned as to who may have bought the rifle i refered to.  Also do you live in or around Putneyville?

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 06:05:52 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for sharing! Awesome family collection.

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 11:41:32 PM »
Shreck, do you remember if you purchased any of your colletion from Phil Lucas?   His name was mentioned as to who may have bought the rifle i refered to.  Also do you live in or around Putneyville?

I didn’t get one from Phil but I remember him saying he had one years ago. I’m 20 miles from Putneyville. I have photos of 75 or so Shreck rifles so there’s a good chance I have a picture of the one you remember. If you’re ever near Ford City stop by the office and you can look through the pics. 1509 4th ave

Offline rsherman

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 03:16:16 PM »
Thank you,
I travel between punxy and emlenton weekly and was thinking of detouring down to find Putneyville and maybe ask about the seeing old gunshop.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 10:37:14 PM »
Down 66 turn left at distant pa ice cream shop and go straight 3 miles. Cross the bridge in Putneyville and the shop is behind the modern house on right just after bridge. Charlie Olinger owns the property and his wife is a Shreck descendant

Offline rsherman

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 03:25:39 AM »
Thanks again shreck.
 Gonna go check it out when i get a little time.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »
Mr. Meister,
On your directions, if you cross the Putneyville bridge, you will be in the picturesque Putneyville Municipal Park, where the millrace for the grain mill was.
Nice guns BTW!
Denny Shreckengost

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 05:30:39 PM »
Depends on which way you cross the bridge :)  Am I losing it or when you come in from Distant don't you come to the store first and then cross
the bridge?

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 04:16:57 PM »
Rob,
Yeah, you are losing it. :o
It is the other way around.
Denny