Author Topic: Tomahawk and Shot Bag - More Pics  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Bill-52

Tomahawk and Shot Bag - More Pics
« on: June 03, 2020, 10:56:59 PM »
Both of these were found 75+ years ago in a plowed field in western NY, likely Chautauqua County. The tomahawk is similar in size and style to the one Rich Pierce posted earlier.

Any thoughts on origin and dates would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:40:13 PM by Bill-52 »

Offline Nazgul

Re: Tomahawk and Shot Bag
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 02:22:19 AM »
Interesting. I grew up in Chautauqua County, never found anything like this!!

Don

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 06:44:33 AM »
The tomahawk looks like a fairly standard trade axe of the 18th to early 19th century. I could be wrong, but I think that is an English style. They were made by the thousands in the UK and shipped over for the fur trade. The French also made more square polled axes, both in France and "Nouvelle France" for the same purpose.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 07:10:15 AM »
Axes of this type, often called Biscayne axes, remained largely unchanged from the 1500s forward. Age is usually inferred from archaeological context more than form. There is a nice review here: https://scavengeology.com/biscayne-trade-axes-the-earliest-known-metal-axes-in-north-america/
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bill-52

Re: Tomahawk and Shot Bag - More Pics
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:39:12 PM »
Thanks very much for the information and, Rich, the link.  I've added two additional pics of the axe.  The eye is more round than oval and there is no notch where the blade meets the eye.  Are these meaningful distinctions?  Thanks as always.