Author Topic: Old powder horn.  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Old powder horn.
« on: June 11, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »
Not sure How old, gents, but this powder horn came to me from I believe N Carolina a long time ago.
It shows age and use, and is a nice clean little horn I think.
Very thin and light, and  can see powder through it.

Base is a shade  under 2 3/4 inches across at widest measurement, and it measures 12  7/8"   around the curve.
It has had a wire loop at the base  end, that went through the horn, then out onto the base of the plug, and then curled into two loops through which  nails were driven to hold it firmly in place.  This wire loop has rusted away, only leaving some wire around the attaching nails.

No idea on age, but  thought I'd share.

Best,
Richard.

PS, I Do like this new section of the forum!  (Antique) 

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: Old powder horn.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 04:52:51 PM »
That is a sleek horn. 

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 04:11:20 PM »
Thanks Cory.

Would it hurt to replace the wire loop so I could use it?

Thanks!

R.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 05:52:34 PM »
In my opinion it would be a shame not too replace the wire and use it as long as the horn is structurally sound. Which it appears to be.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »
Richard, that horn may be very old. It has two holes pierced into the end of the horn and through the wood for attaching the carry strap. This feature seems to be mainly found on earlier hours; we're talking 1750-1780. And, it's not all that common then. Some owner didn't like that arrangement it seems, plugging the holes and using another method. Nice horn! Thank you for showing it here.
Dick

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 03:21:12 PM »
Thank you for the replies and thoughts, gents.

Dick,
Thank you for the information!
Very interesting.
Do you know of a source where I could look at horns of the type you mention?

I will do a search on -line, but any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,
Richard.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 09:11:29 PM »
Richard, I would suggest that you contact Art DeCamp, the horn historian with this question. Art has forgotten more than most people know about powder horns. I have a hundred or so, horns of all ages, and only two have the same kind of rear strap fastener that yours has. One horn is dated 1765 and the other is 1776. I don't know why the horner turned to that method to secure the strap as it appears to be a weak solution to the problem. As such it seems to have been used very infrequently. More commonly found on the early horns is a lobe extending out from the butt, which is perforated with one or two holes. These tended to break off and drawer pulls, staples, loops, eye screws and such were then employed.  Hope that this helps some. Good luck on your search.
Dick

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 12:30:44 AM »
 Although carved on pages 50-51, 90-92, 124-125, 134-135, 162-163 of Dressler's Folk Art Of Early America; The Engraved Powder Horn you will see examples of the same type of attachment. There could have been a lobe that was broken off cleaned up and the two hole made for the strap. Early I think, New England?
 Gave me good reason to go back through a couple of Great books.

Tim C.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 06:30:18 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply, both Dick and Tim, And thank you for the information!

I do not have the books you mention Tim, so if it were possible to attach a photo of this type of horn with the strap in place, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Google has not turned any up....

Thank you both again !

Richard.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 01:10:15 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply, both Dick and Tim, And thank you for the information!

I do not have the books you mention Tim, so if it were possible to attach a photo of this type of horn with the strap in place, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Google has not turned any up....

Thank  straps attaxyou both again !

Richard.

Richard,
  The book shows no straps attached only the holes through both the horn and butt and or a description of the butt. TC

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 04:29:04 AM »
Ah, Thank you Tim, Got it!

I did see one in an on -line search, with same holes etc. 

Thanks again,
Richard.

Offline msellers

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 04:46:51 AM »
Richard,
That is a very nice looking horn, I would be proud to carry one like that someday.
Mike