Author Topic: Telescopic Sight on a "Firelock" in 1776 !  (Read 3122 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Telescopic Sight on a "Firelock" in 1776 !
« on: June 18, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
I am reading this book, the first in a trilogy about the American Revolution.....and it is outstanding!!!!  Incredibly well researched and fascinatingly written.  Atkinson has written a trilogy about the Second World War as well.....equally outstanding !!!

While reading this evening about Washington's retreat through New Jersey toward Trenton and Philadelphia, I came across this passage about the famous painter Charles Wilson Peale who served with the army.  I would call your attention to the part about him making a "prized... firelock with a telescopic sight that he had built with help from the astronomer David Rittenhouse."

Anyone else ever heard of this ?  And if so.....tell me again about "not historically correct sights" that are outlawed by some groups..... ;)

And I love the fact that both Peale and Paul Revere made false teeth for people.  Having worked all my young life as a dental technician in my Dad's laboratory, I can really identify with guys who make guns, teeth, silverware, and leatherwork !
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:56:37 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline RJD-VT

Re: Telescopic Sight on a "Firelock"
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 04:35:45 PM »
Thanks Dave & Dave. I find information like this very interesting. Especially when it provides links to further reading.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
 This is truly fascinating. I am astounded that given the fame of those involved more has not been written about this.

Hungry Horse

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 05:36:48 PM »
David,

Thanks for the link.  This was all a new one on me.  My first thought, when I read Atkinson's reference to Peale's telescopic sighted firelock, was too bad Peale and Patrick Ferguson had not met and been able to work together..... and not on opposite sides in a war.... :)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 05:46:54 PM »
Hi David,
Yes, that would have been a collaboration except it could have meant Washington shot in the back at Brandywine.  Actually, because of the primitive optics, your eye had to be on the scope and recoil probably gave you a nasty punch.

dave

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 09:11:17 PM »
Dave. I love this kind of info. Thanks Dave.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline flatsguide

Re: Telescopic Sight on a "Firelock" in 1776 !
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 06:31:22 AM »
Sounds like a good read. Thanks  for the heads up Skipper.
Cheers Richard

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 01:23:12 PM »
Hi David,
Yes, that would have been a collaboration except it could have meant Washington shot in the back at Brandywine.  Actually, because of the primitive optics, your eye had to be on the scope and recoil probably gave you a nasty punch.

dave
I did look thru an antique telescope and there wasn't a lot of eye relief. Still,  mounting a Leopold 3x9 on these things would solve the old eyes problem ;)

Offline heinz

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 03:37:30 PM »
"Primitive optics" would not require your eye to be in contact with the lens.  Focal length is determined by the refraction of the lens.  Did you ever notice they did not have to stick their reading glasses against their eyes.
kind regards, heinz

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 03:59:44 PM »
Hi Heinz,
Yes, but eye relief was exactly one of the problems Peale was trying to fix as he noted in his diary. He was tired of being punch in the eye.

dave

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 04:56:16 PM »
Considering glasses are perhaps an inch at most away from your eyes. Think about it, would you want your scope that close?

Offline Goo

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 04:46:03 AM »

Anyone else ever heard of this ?  And if so.....tell me again about "not historically correct sights" that are outlawed by some groups.....
[/quote].               

Which is why one should not surrender their own opinions or thoughts too quickly to those of so called experts.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 05:08:01 PM »
Hi Goo,
The problem is the technology Peale used apparently did not work very well and would not work very well until much later. So, if you want to put a scope on a flintlock and be historically correct, make sure it is one that punches you in the eye every shot.  Peter Kalthoff invented a very efficient repeater flintlock during the 17th century.  The problem was it was inherently dangerous when the metal to metal fit of parts wore and the powder magazine exploded. 

dave

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 07:33:50 PM »
It would be interesting to know how small that piece of paper was he shot at 100 yds.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 03:10:34 AM »
So, if you want to put a scope on a flintlock and be historically correct, make sure it is one that punches you in the eye every shot.
dave
That is for you guys who must be historically correct in your weak loading combinations.
ahh - just kidding?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Goo

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 10:49:15 AM »
I was inspired by your post to do an internet search.    Found this link with some interesting info that Prussian king Frederick fired a rifle with telescopic sights in 1737.   I can only assume his embarrassment over the black eye he must have gotten caused him not include that in the notes.     The article further states the first telescopes were invented by the Muslims in Arabia in the 11th century.     https://www.africanhuntinggazette.com/the-history-of-riflescopes/Online magazine Africa hunting.com
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Online alacran

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 02:42:30 PM »
I haven't done it myself A very good friend, and one of the best ML shooters in the western US, epoxies a Weaver base and mounts a scope on any new flintlock.  He does this to minimize sighting errors while working up loads. He says it saves both time,powder and lead.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass