Author Topic: Reenactments- Scheduling?  (Read 5040 times)

PINYONE

Reenactments- Scheduling?
« on: August 03, 2008, 12:20:05 AM »
I don't know if its me or are BlackPowder events held the wrong time of year? this time of year any events that you go to are miserable- yes because of 100 degree temps. people set with fans about to die at anytime, look like there on there last leg. Then every one is dressed for 40 below in Vermont. The slightest smell of burnt powder adds to the misery. you would think that the organizers of the events might somehow think " maybe we should do the in the fall and Winter months. All of the photos I have seen from Dixons - looks like everyone there was about to die- RED IN THE FACE- I personally get along much better in the cooler months- how about all of you Hillbillies? Pinyon Le Francais Whisky Trader.

Candle Snuffer

Re: Reenactments- Scheduling?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:07:39 AM »
I guess it depends on the events...  Historically, Rendezvous were held in the summer time.  Aside from the monthly shoots, Rondy, and State Shoot that I do, I'll leave the other events for those who take part in them, to comment.

On the other side of the coin bringing us up to date.  I think most folks vacation in the summer when school is out.  I expect this may have the most bearing on when events are held?

I do agree, I would rather do Rendezvous in the early Spring or in the Fall, though in my area I don't see that happening anytime soon, if at all...

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »
If you are talking about historical reenactments, many are held at the same place and time of the original battle and armies didn't much enter into battles in the cold, snowy months of the year. Historical reenactments are also supposed to be family oriented so some are at the time of year when children are out of school.

Rendezvous as well as monthly shoots in my area are held all year long. There are not as many participants in the Winter, but enough show up to make it worthwhile to put one on during the Winter.

When I ran three rendezvous a year, they were the third weekend in May, the third weekend in October and the third weekend in February. There were always so many rendezvous in my area that you had to pick dates that didn't conflict with rendezvous put on by other clubs.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »
I strongly suspect that very little clothing was worn at rondyvous in the heat of the summer. The re-enactors are prone to showing off ALL of their 'nice' period clothing, and thus peer pressure makes them wear too much clothing.  If a rondyvous is being portraited, a 'clout' is about all would be worn by men, and perhaps bloomers 'cut-off' or a loose cotton dress by women.  Now, 'back East' where rondy's weren't held, it's hard to say what they might wear.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »
Well seems like the temp depends on luck.  This past weekend 2 day shoot at Shartlesville, Pa Tem around 80 and low humidity!  Beautiful

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »
80? Gads - sit in the shade and drink beer!

Mike R

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 09:33:54 PM »
Most of our 18th & early 19th cent events are late fall, winter and early spring--it is too hot otherwise. It was 104 here last two days and over 100 all last week.  The exceptions are the 1860s civil war events which are held near to their actual dates and civil war memorials that some of us do in full wool unifroms--summers are HOT here!  But winters can be pretty cold here, too--there are a couple of Arkansas winter events that we've missed due to icing roads and bitter cold [for us anyway--probably would not faze you Canadians].  We typically don't have the clothes for it here. But they are unpredictable.  I have been sweating at a December event in Natchitoches, LA and freezing during a fall event near Monroe, LA  when a blue norther swept in [saved by a matchcoat I had taken along for "show" as all I was wearing was a thin linen hunting shirt and breeches].  For those of you that don't know, Natchitoches was the first european [french] settlement in Louisiana, ca. 1716, and had a frontier fort there through 1760s.  Monroe was a trading spot on the Ouachita River that flowed out of the Arkansas mountains and site of a later 18th & 19th cent cent post.  The Dunbar-Hunter expedition sent out by Pres. Jefferson reoutfitted at Monroe [Ouachita Post] before proceeding upriver ca. 1805 [the expedition was one of four planned by Jefferson--the "biggie" being the L&C one up the Missouri].  Our next "big" event is in December at Ft St Jean Baptiste in Natchitoches, where my French Marine woolens will be either too hot or not enough depending on the fronts....

PINYONE

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »
Hey Mike- just got to love Louisiana, I spend time in St. Francisville every year. I believe there are more early french Artifacts being dug there than the whole rest of the Country. Can't say enough about that State- good Luck to you- PINYON- Still Hot!!!!!