Author Topic: Making a percussion breech plug with a snail, tutorial.  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Making a percussion breech plug with a snail, tutorial.
« on: June 30, 2020, 07:19:44 PM »
The project started with this old damascus percussion barrel and a beautiful left-hand percussion lock that D. Taylor Sapergia kindly sold me.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=57924.msg579837#msg579837 
This is how I solved it, comments and suggestions for easier solutions are wellcome.

With the plug out, the next step was to make a lefthanded plug. This picture shows the tools used for carving the snail.

20mm ball punch (top left)
Set of cheap diamond burrs (middle left, two sets, coarse + middle fine, eBay, 13$ a set)
Barret needle file #2, (bottom left)
Two rotary files
12,5 mm short drill
14mm ball nose endmill.

I started with a piece of 45mm mild steel round stock.

The threads on the original breech plug proved to be M17. I turned down the threaded portion to 17mm and threaded it in the lath using a M17 Die.  Getting a M17 die proved to be a challenge. It is an obsolete thread, and no one stocks them in Norway. Die size jumps from M16 to M18. One supplier in Norway could get me one from Germany for a little over 100$. Quick search on eBay, and I got one from China for 12$ including postage. It did the job perfectly, but I had to wait 8weeks for it.

Next, I used a 14mm ball nose endmill in the lath to drill the powder chamber. Sorry forgot to take pictures. I then fitted the threaded portion using Prussian blue, so it fits tight to the bore shoulder and the end of the breech. It turns out that the original plug was a sloppy fit, with a gap about 1/32” between the plug and the bore shoulder.  Since the new plug is threaded with a die, I had to remove the last one and half threads to get it tight up against the barrel. The plug has five and a half threads. Should be strong enough.

I could have gotten away with using a smaller diameter of round stock if I turned the threaded portion off center.  I chose not to because, this way I did not have to worry about timing the plug. Just cut the snail wherever it fits.

Mill down the top, bottom, and right side of the plug.  The snail going to be on the left side. Leave the sides 1/32” oversized. This will be fixed when drawn filing the barrel and plug together.

On the left side, mill the snail blank to match the bottom corner of the left barrel flat.

Remove as much waste material as possible from the diagonal flats by milling stepwise.

The top of the snail can be broken down to a series of circles drilled off center and blended in. Mount the blank in the mill at the needed angel and drill out with the 12,5mm drill. The hole defines the outer perimeter of the snail.

Next is the flat bottom of the top face. It is done with a 10mm end mill. The center is inline with the top corner of the left-hand barrel flat and a little towards the rear of the plug.

The base of the nipple is 7.76mm.  Mill out the nipple seat with an 8mm endmill.  Start the hole for the nipple with a center drill.

Drill and thread the hole for the nipple (1/4x28). The depth of the hole is a hair past the middle of the left barrel flat. Use a bottom tap.
[

Start scooping out the top face with a 14mm ball nose end mill. Locate mill so it touches the left side of the 12,5mm hole and as close as possible to the front of the same hole.

Start filing out the front of the snail, following the edge of the 12,5mm hole.  Slope and blend in the right and left side of the top face using rotary files and diamond burrs. The burrs fit in a Dremel. The rotary files are too big for the Dremel and I used a regular cordless drill. This shaping left a lumpy surface an uneven curvature. This was smoothed out by cold forming with the 20 mm ball punch. The surface was finish off with valve grinding compound and polishing pads for the Dremel.  Sorry, I forgot to take pictures of the whole process. 

File out the side profile of the plug and mark off ample extra room for the shield.  I use about 1/8 “.  If was going to start over again I’d use 3/16”. The shield is dough out with coarse diamond burrs.

It is hard to follow the curve when starting the groove with small pointed burrs. I needed the extra material to smooth out the groove using cylinder shaped burrs. This process moves the groove closer to the edge off the shield. To get the groove deep enough, you must dig in with pointed burrs which moves the curve further to the edge.  Also, when focusing on the tip the burr following the groove, its easy to forget the where the rear of the burr is pointing and get notches in the shield. I ended up with a shield that is a bit smaller and thinner than I wanted. I had to throw away my first attempt, so this one will have to do. I lack “the get up go” for a third attempt. 

Digging out the shield with burrs leaves a slightly rounded bottom of the groove and blurs the definition between the snail and the shield. I used the tip of a Barrett needle file to get a sharp corner. The barrett file was also good for smoothing out the inside of the shield.

The shield was then polished with valve grinding compound on a stick (took quite a few hours).

I drilled a 3,3 mm hole from the right side of the plug which intersects with bottom of the nipple hole. A 3,0mm hole was then drilled in the lath from the center of the powder chamber to connect with this hole. The bottom of the nipple hole is cleaned out with a ball diamond burr.

The right side of the hole was threaded for a M4 bolt, made from the same stock as the plug and peened shut. The hole in the powder chamber was the re-drilled to get rid of the protruding bolt.

Next, I milled out the hook of the breech plug.

The last step was to draw file everything so the profiles of the plug and barrel match.

Finished breech plug compared with the original.
The shield should have been a bit larger, otherwise I am happy with the result. Took me about 25-30 hours to make a plug.

Barrel with the lock from Taylor.
I am planning to make a Le Paige style pistol and inlet gold wedding bands on the barrel.
Next step is to make the standing breech tang and find a nice walnut stock blank.

Best regards
Rolf
PS.I have some questions regarding the standing breech and will post them in a separate thread, so they do not get lost in this thread.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 12:29:22 PM by Rolf »

Offline Daryl

Re: Making a percussion breech plug with a snail, tutorial.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 07:27:21 PM »
Exceptionally good work Rolf. Thanks for sharing the process. Amazing.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 07:29:40 PM »
Very nice work, as usual from your shop. I would gladly take one of these if you ever felt the urge to make another.
Mike

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 07:30:56 PM »
Nice whittling Rolf.  I'm looking forward to this project.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 10:02:14 PM »
Rolf,
  That was an excellent write up. Thanks for taking the time. I’m looking forward to seeing the standing breech.
Thank you,
Kevin Houlihan

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 10:19:35 PM »
Rolf,
You make this stuff look so easy, which, with my machinist background I know better.  Great tutorial, as always.
David

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 11:06:03 PM »
Rolf is a credit to the whole profession.  Very nice Rolf.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 12:56:35 AM »
Hi Rolf,
Beautifully made!  Machining can be its own art.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 05:38:17 AM »
No fear. Nicely done and demonstrated.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 06:43:49 AM »
Most impressive work there Rolf!  Wonderful job, than you so much for posting your process for us here.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline TPH

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 06:53:35 PM »
All I can say is WOW!
T.P. Hern

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 08:05:57 PM »
Rolf,

It's a gift that your hands can make what you see with your eyes.
Great job, I am looking forward to see your pistol!
That's what we call craftsmanship.

Adrie

Offline Rolf

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 11:15:25 PM »
Thank you all, for your kind replies. I'working on the standing breech and will post when done.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 08:13:21 PM »
Rolf, outstanding work, both in the design process and the actual building.

But watching you polish with the stick and valve grinding compound made me feel sorry for your poor, overworked hands.  Next time you need to polish something like this, please consider using the little sanding sticks like David Rase (and several others, including me) uses.

They are available in quite a few grit sizes, Rio Grande jewelry supply has some really fine ones.  But from Amazon at:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079GHS13V?aaxitk=BjhPW.OfNRwSAJO2fZcH6w&pd_rd_i=B079GHS13V&pf_rd_p=591760d1-6468-480f-9b10-0ee9c85706fd&hsa_cr_id=9367417650701&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=5%20Piece%20Sanding%20Detailer%20Stick%20Set%20with%202%20Extra%20Replacement%20Belts%20Per%20Stick%2C%205%20Grits%20120%2C%20240%2C%20320%2C%20400%20%26%20500%20Grit%20Made%20in%20The%20USA%20for%20Sanding%20Wood%2C%20Metal%20%26%20Plastics%2C%20Long%20Life%20Sanding%20Belts
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Rolf

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 10:28:15 AM »
Rolf, outstanding work, both in the design process and the actual building.

But watching you polish with the stick and valve grinding compound made me feel sorry for your poor, overworked hands.  Next time you need to polish something like this, please consider using the little sanding sticks like David Rase (and several others, including me) uses.

They are available in quite a few grit sizes, Rio Grande jewelry supply has some really fine ones.  But from Amazon at:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079GHS13V?aaxitk=BjhPW.OfNRwSAJO2fZcH6w&pd_rd_i=B079GHS13V&pf_rd_p=591760d1-6468-480f-9b10-0ee9c85706fd&hsa_cr_id=9367417650701&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=5%20Piece%20Sanding%20Detailer%20Stick%20Set%20with%202%20Extra%20Replacement%20Belts%20Per%20Stick%2C%205%20Grits%20120%2C%20240%2C%20320%2C%20400%20%26%20500%20Grit%20Made%20in%20The%20USA%20for%20Sanding%20Wood%2C%20Metal%20%26%20Plastics%2C%20Long%20Life%20Sanding%20Belts

Good idea, but exspensive shipping. Amazon wants 47$ to ship a set of sticks to Norway. I'll do a search on the net and see if I can find a european or asian supplier.

Best regards
Rolf