Author Topic: Hudson Valley fowler from debnal  (Read 7352 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Hudson Valley fowler from debnal
« on: August 13, 2009, 05:51:14 PM »
Here are some pictures sent me that show an early unpublished Hudson Valley fowler.  The lock dates to 1680-1720, I’d think.  It has the early 1740's style buttstock/comb architecture, but unlike some of that period, the buttplate is not nailed but is screwed in place and possible cast.  It is an exceptional piece nearly entirely in original condition.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 08:15:50 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Collector

Re: Hudson Valley fowler from debnal
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:02:17 PM »
Another beautiful Hudson Valley Fowler piece.  These pieces just seem to capture one's attention and imagination.  They are just 'grand' pieces as mr. no gold so aptly puts it.  Thanks for the photos and I'm sure that a few of the builders would like to have some particulars on this piece.  Thanks to debnal for sharing these with us and richpierce for posting them.

Offline Collector

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »
Amongst others, on this board, that I'm waiting to see comments from, I'm hoping to see something from Mike Brooks and Eric Kettenburg on this Hudson Valley Fowler.   A 61 inch barrel... WOW!  But, I have to say, that these pieces just don't look right with short(er) barrels.  It's just an integral part of their architecture and mystique.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:46:31 AM »
Rich, thanks for posting these photos. What a magnificent fowler! It looks to me as if it's stocked in maple--is that right?  I'm glad to see that another one of these fine old pieces has survived intact. The way the lock panel rolls in to the lock is beautiful and is almost a lost art today. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:47:15 AM by GOEX4fg »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »
Great old gun, thanks for sharing the pictures.  Looks like a classic HVF. I'm not so sure that isn't a Davis jeager lock as a replacement for the original. If it isn't it's a dead ringer!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 04:43:31 PM »
I would like to thank debnal for shareing with us this very wonderful extraordinary fine HV fowler!! And extend to you a warm and humble welcome to this great resourceful ALR site. I look forward to your input and knowledgable opinions on these great works. Welcome aboard Alan!!
Joel Hall

Offline debnal

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »
I would laike to thank Rich for posting the pictures of my HVF. I will learn how to do that, hopefully. What a wonderful site! I love reading all the insightful comments and discussion. This fowler came out of a house in upstate NY a few years ago and was in totally attic condition. The good news was the barrel was still in its original 61 inch length. The butt is 2 5/16 inches wide. The forestock was splintered ahead of the rear ramrod pipe and I have had that restored. The lock was in percussion and I had that reconverted. The remainder of the piece is as found.The wood is curly maple. The lock is 5.5 inches long and appears to have a makers name along the botton edge but I cannot make it out. For me this was an opportunity to acquire a fine example of a gun that otherwise I could not afford. I don't know how everyone feels about reconversions but it sure makes the gun look good to me.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 12:05:27 AM »
To echo Gaylord, thank you for showing us a superb Hudson Valley Fowler. This kind of defies ones expectations for a good gun. It is monumental!
The fact that it has an unshortened barrel is phenomenal, as most were cut back. Your restorations were completely in order, to the good of the gun and certainly not overdone. From the photos, I would have taken it for a 100% gun.
As you as commented earlier, the sideplate motif does have a demonic aspect to it, although I see it more as a modified dragon plate.
Well, what else is there to say about a wonderful gun? Thanks agin for letting us look at it and good on you for finding it!
Dick