Author Topic: Another old target rifle  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Another old target rifle
« on: July 05, 2020, 11:46:25 PM »
This is what I have on the builder, John Selah Vosburg, I don't know when the gun was made, hopefully it falls within the ALR guidelines.

Served in the 17th N.Y.L.A. (the Orleans Battery) in the Civil War. Was Adjutant General of the Arizona Territory 1873-75. He was a gunsmith who became wealthy after 'grubstaking' a prospector who had been told that all he'd get in Arizona was his tombstone. He found silver, and Tombstone, Arizona got its name!

From another source, probably more accurate.

John Silah Vosburg was born in New York in 1840. He became a gunsmith and decided to
move out West. He arrived in Tucson in 1870 and set up a gunshop. He served in the
Arizona Legislature in 1873 and became good friends with Governor Safford. In 1873,
Safford appointed him as Adjutant General and he served in that position until he was
named Territorial Auditor in 1877. He resigned from the position when the capital moved
to Prescott in 1877. He and Safford were important in the financing of the Tombstone
Mines, financing the Scheffelins and Richard Gird. When Vosburg sold his share of the
mining operation in the early 1880s, he made $147,000 and moved to Los Angeles. He was
divorced from his first wife, Kate Slauson, who was the mother of his three sons and later
married Anna S. McCrilus (1862-1948). Vosburg died in Los Angeles in 1931.

The gun was broken in half when my friend acquired it, he made the repairs to put it back together and tried to make them period correct looking.

The lock has what appears to be C Baker engraved on it.

image url host

Offline OLUT

Re: Another old target rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 12:22:57 AM »
Check out Selah Vosburgh of Alabama,NY (born 1807 & died 1876) in Sweeney's New York Firearms Trade; I think this is really your gun's maker. I have a NY State mule ear over under with the identical name stamping on the barrel.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 12:36:37 AM »
Check out Selah Vosburgh of Alabama,NY (born 1807 & died 1876) in Sweeney's New York Firearms Trade; I think this is really your gun's maker. I have a NY State mule ear over under with the identical name stamping on the barrel.
I pulled out my files and your John is the son of Selah.... see attached

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 12:50:06 AM »
Yep, you are right, just an S under the sight fixture, no J S.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 07:32:22 PM »
Nice old piece - looks as though it might have had a tang sight for a while.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 07:57:46 PM »
Nice old piece - looks as though it might have had a tang sight for a while.

Craig, Here's a Vosburgh tang peep..... I bet Eric's gun had a similar one.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 08:29:51 PM »
Great old 'Southwestern' gun in 'as found' condition. Do you know the caliber of this gun? There weren't many guns made down in these parts, so you have rarity on that score too. The rifle was well used, but is still in what I would consider to be in good condition. Now, if this one could talk, what tales it could tell. There was a lot of mining, ranching, and trying to control outlaws, the Ende People (Apache). and just a whole lot of activity in that region. Thanks for bringing it in.
Dick

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 09:19:39 PM »
It is, indeed, both a fantastic rifle and a possibly a wonderful story to tell.  It's what I, also, would call in good condition.  Provided the barrel is in fair condition, it probably has a lot more hole punching to do.

In that picture of the trigger guard area, can you think of any reason for that TG to be offset so toward the cheek side of the piece?  Inasmuch as it is still parallel to the barrel, it appears to have been done that way on purpose.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 11:01:11 PM »
It is .40 cal, the bore isn't bad from half way out but the other half is really rough.

Offline JudyGT

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 05:52:34 AM »
I'm a relative of John Selah Vosburgh

Offline LynnC

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 01:39:16 AM »
The trigger guard could be offset so that the front mounting screw does not pass thru the ramrod hole. Just a guess.....
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......