Author Topic: Strong affection for a lock  (Read 4836 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Strong affection for a lock
« on: July 18, 2020, 01:26:09 AM »
Hi,
Back in 1980, I was the deer management biologist for New Jersey responsible for deer management and research within the north half of the state.  I also was active building muzzleloaders.  This was before I moved to Vermont to get my MS studying coyotes and before I moved to Alaska to get a PhD. but stayed 22 years   working for the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game to study wolves, deer, and bears.  A friend from work brought over a flintlock musket to see if I could fix the lock and stock.  It was a British pattern 1769 Brown Bess on which the barrel and stock were shortened to 36".  It was a bit of a wreck, but I made a new mainspring for the lock and fixed the sear spring and some heavily corroded screws.  I also stabilized the barrel and fixed the cracks in the stock.  It was that gun that prompted me to seek out experienced help and I found Kit Ravenshear.  I made the connection through old Charlie Stone who owned Neshanic Depot Antiques in NJ.  Charlie was a colorful character whose dealings sometimes were pretty dubious.  Anyway, Kit provided guidance and I was successful.  That was the first lock I ever tried to work over and make parts for.  As a learning device about locks, you could not ask for better because everything is so big.  The parts are big, the geometry is big, the action is big.  Everything plays out on wide screen cinema scope (I am dating myself) and nothing is hidden.  I learned a lot about locks.  Jumping forward to today, I've built a lot of Brown Bess and British Brown Bess style carbine guns and locks. This year my work load focuses almost entirely on 18th century British military guns.  So below are photos of an early pattern Brown Bess lock with "banana" plate that I am building.  The main spring is in the oven tempering. Obviously, I have a lot of polishing to do and when I am done the lock will, admittedly, be more finely made than the originals. However, from the outside, you won't know until you feel the oily smooth action when you cock it.  This lock was meant to work in all conditions.  Look at the position of the cock at full.  Look at the arc it will make toward the frizzen.  The strong spring and heavy but smooth resistance from the frizzen will force the dullest flint to scrape off sparks into the pan despite fouling.  It is a wonderful "Mack truck" of locks and deserves our admiration. 

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline okieboy

Re: Strong affection for a lock
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 01:35:54 AM »
 Thanks for the most interesting post that I've read in a while.
Okieboy

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 01:53:17 AM »
What okieboy said plus one
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 03:00:58 AM »
Thank you for the post and the photos of a very cool old lock. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 04:20:51 AM »
Good days back then.
Andover, Vermont

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 06:02:18 PM »
  Dave long time ago. I had a lock simular to it. It was a sparking machine. Never ever did it fail, powder in pan or no powder in pan...Had to sell it do to layoff...Truly regret selling that gun...Thank you for your post..     Oldtravler

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 06:17:24 PM »
I'm just nostalgically happy that you mentioned Neshanic; I have a lot of good memories in the Neshanic Station / Rocky Hill / Sourlands area, grew up right near there.  Although I was only 10 in 1980!  But central jersey used to be a very different place than it is now.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 09:00:47 PM »
I have that same lock mounted in a blunderbuss (first model bess pattern) that Kit tutored me on in his shop thirty years ago...Great lock

Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 10:05:09 PM »
That is a spectacular looking blunderbuss.  :D
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 10:54:29 PM »
What Eric said.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 01:24:27 AM »
What all of them said.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 01:28:44 AM »
 Yes an I like it too...!!! One cool blunderbus...Oldtravler

Offline Coastal Plain

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 02:55:23 AM »
Those early Banana shaped English Locks are my favorite locks of all time.  Will hopefully have one built up into a Brown Bess one day. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 04:33:26 AM »
I'm just nostalgically happy that you mentioned Neshanic; I have a lot of good memories in the Neshanic Station / Rocky Hill / Sourlands area, grew up right near there.  Although I was only 10 in 1980!  But central jersey used to be a very different place than it is now.

I used to go to Neshanic Station on weekends late 70s a it and some into the early 80s. We’d go to the flea market and stop in Charlie Stone’s shop. I sold some accoutrements and a rifle there. When Chuck Dixon opened shop on Hawk Mountain I started going there.

I remember Kit well. He knew how to make guns when parts were not so available. He was such an enthusiastic teacher.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 03:43:55 PM »
Love those big old military locks until I go bird hunting with a gun built around one. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 04:05:17 PM »
Hi Mike,
Yeah! A two pound lock kind of makes for a 10 pound gun particularly with a 3/4" ID water pipe for a barrel. It always fires but the birds are in the next county by the time the lock cycles.  I suppose you could mount the bayonet and just stab the birds. 

dave

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 05:42:53 PM »
#@!! $#@* -- I also went to Charlie Stone's Neshanic Station store in the 70's & 80's. Loved that big pot belly stove he had in there. I lived in East Windsor and Hightstown at that time. I must have rubbed shoulders with you guys a time or two. I remember asking Charlie if he had any lock drawings so that I could see how they were built & put together and one of the customers got some paper and a pencil and drew a complete detailed flintlock drawing for me.  I heard that Stone moved to PA and got into some trouble either before or after the move. I also did a lot of road trips to Chuck Dixon's Hawk Mountain chicken coop shop - WOW does that bring back a LOT of good memories! Did a LOT of trout fishing in North Jersey - a LOT and I miss wading through the streams with my fly rod in hand big time :(.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline BJH

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 06:16:29 PM »
I was at the gunmakers fair, and Bill Kennedy told me about Charlie’s shop. So I took a road trip to Charlie’s shop after he moved to Pa. After hearing Bill speak about his time with him I decided I need to meet him. I can remember that he had cardboard box after box of gun mount castings on the floor of the shop. I only got to visit one time. That had to be about 20 years ago. BJH
BJH

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 06:16:56 PM »
Ever fish the Muskenetcong? One of my favorites back then.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 06:33:24 PM »
Hi,
Old Charlie liked my dad and me because we were close and did things together like visit his shop and build guns.  Charlie was always complaining about his kids and hiding money and stuff from his wife.  If anyone ever looked like a starving soldier at Valley Forge it was Charlie.  I was the one who got Charlie to set up as a deer checking station.  Well, I am almost done with the workings of the Bess lock.  I'll give it a few test runs tonight and post some photos of the shower of sparks.

dave 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 11:27:36 PM »
Hi,
Lots of sparks right where you want them.  I love this lock.  You can feel a shutter go up your arm when the flint hits the frizzen and the action resounds with a loud "kerchunk". Nothing is subtle about it and it is pretty darn good looking. Much classier than muskets from other countries.  It has style, and I greatly respect the ordnance system and skilled workmen who manufactured it.  The designers and tradesmen deserve our admiration. On the world stage, think how important their output and product was.

dave
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:19:43 AM by smart dog »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 09:07:29 PM »
Ever fish the Muskenetcong? One of my favorites back then.

MANY many many times  ;D- the Paulinskill, the Flatbrook - the Pequest, South Branch of the Raritian (Ken Lockwood Gorge) and other smaller streams and brooks from Flemington north up into Stokes State Forest. My father showed me all his trout fishing spots and we would fish them together every year. In 1953 my dad caught a 5+ pound rainbow that he got an award for and a write-up in The Daily Home News of New Brunswick N.J.. Boy - do I miss those days :( :(
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 09:13:11 PM »
Hi,
Old Charlie liked my dad and me because we were close and did things together like visit his shop and build guns.  Charlie was always complaining about his kids and hiding money and stuff from his wife.  If anyone ever looked like a starving soldier at Valley Forge it was Charlie.  I was the one who got Charlie to set up as a deer checking station.  Well, I am almost done with the workings of the Bess lock.  I'll give it a few test runs tonight and post some photos of the shower of sparks.

dave

I think he like to dress up as Abe Lincoln with that top hat on his head ;)

Offline TPH

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 12:05:20 AM »

dave

A beautifully made lock with excellent function, BRAVO!  :)
T.P. Hern

Offline blienemann

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2020, 12:26:10 AM »
Dave, you always educate us with your projects, while we admire your approach and work.  Teaching is a special talent, and takes a good deal of extra time.  Thank you.

I was fortunate to make a new friend recently, Curator Emeritus, Royal Armouries and Editor of their Arms & Armour magazine.  He explained that locks for military arms were not finished as well outside as those for private customers, but they were just as carefully made, well designed and well finished inside.  The British Empire depended upon the men and their arms sent into the field around the world.  I was reminded of his statement as I followed your construction of this lock.  Thanks again, Bob