Author Topic: New England rifle  (Read 2933 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
New England rifle
« on: August 08, 2020, 06:42:31 PM »
I actually finished building this rifle two years ago.  I didn't build it for any person in particular,   I used it to demonstrate the different aspects of building to some of my students and friends, and after a while there was the gun, all finished.

The rifle is typical N.E. style, with a hickory wood under rib.   I did slim it down a bit and the weight comes in at just over six lbs.  It has a hooked breach and I just added a 54 cal smooth bore barrel to it.   It shoots both shot and round ball excellent.

One of my neighbors dropped by my shop for visit last week and fell in love with it so it has found a new home.

These two targets tell the whole story.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: New England rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 06:44:47 PM »
Very cool and interesting Dave. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 07:01:25 PM »
That is a neat, pretty little gun, Dave. Very "useful" as well as shown by the targets.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob hertrich

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 07:06:28 PM »
Very nice. Who made the barrel and is the stock cherry?

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 09:04:17 PM »
Bob,
Yes the stock is cherry .  Most NE Guns were either walnut or cherry, but not all.  The 40 cal rifle barrel was a barrel I purchased many years ago which was  with a group of ten barrels.  I believe it was a Douglas.  It is capable of shooting one hole at 25 yds.  The 54 cal smooth bore is one of the barrels that was left over from my swivel breach kit project, built by Green Mt.

NE guns had a few distinct features that other styles did not have.  I have included a picture of the original rifle that I copied the patch box, engraving, and checkering from.  Also notice the nose cap, the double pinned thimbles, and the little tab at the front of the trigger guard.  The builder of this antique was Henry Pratt of Boston.

The silver inlay and wire in the cheek piece I copied from an original Silas Allen rifle

These last two pictures show the cow horn on my rifle, I think I made it a tad too long, and the little tab on the front of the trigger guard.

Offline Telgan

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 10:35:31 PM »
David - Glad i got a chance to look at this one before it left your shop and went down the road

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 01:27:07 AM »
David--You've built a very nice rifle!

I'm partial to New England Rifles rather than Kentucky Rifles. Unfortunately, the New England rifles do not have the mystique of Kentucky rifles. I only have one of each, New England and Kentucky, primarily because that's what I can afford at this late stage of life.

I believe that relative to quantities of each type built and surviving, the New England rifles tend to have survived more in original condition, in other words, original flint. I attribute that to the fact that the majority of New England Rifles were built for Militia members as evidenced by the fact that most were in .54 cal which was standard for U.S Military flint rifles of the period. The .54 cal was much too heavy for hunting in New England in the 19th Century as most of the big game in Southern New England had been hunted to the brink of extinction in contrast to the game in PA, VA, Ohio, etc. The Kentucky's, in my opinion, were mostly converted to percussion and used for many years out of necessity because they were needed to acquire the staple of life, food.

In any event I posted my one and only New England Rifle back in August 2019. Below are a couple photos as a reminder.

Kent Johns

"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 01:36:07 AM »
David - as always, absolutely beautiful work and exceptional craftsmanship - I remember that rifle - and i'm glad it has a new home - Very well done my friend -

Jon

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 05:47:50 AM »
  David your work is very impressive.. Thanks for showing great  gun...  Oldtravler

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 01:57:27 PM »
Wonderful gun Dave!  You captured the style of engraving very well too.  It is remarkable how consistent it was among rifles from different makers. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 02:45:17 PM »
  It is remarkable how consistent it was among rifles from different makers. 
dave

The similarity of builder's work may be due to the fact that, in actuality, there were very few builders and many apprenticed for the same person. Also, it has been speculated that many of the builders purchased some of the brass components from a single source. The very similar engraving on much of the brass furniture is notable. As many of these New England rifles were for militia members it is to be expected that an approved "pattern" was followed.

Again, a very nice rifle indeed!

"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."

Offline alacran

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »
Very nice, don't get to see many New England builds.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline bob hertrich

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 04:48:26 PM »
Dave, how were the hickory ribs attached to the barrel?

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 09:35:22 PM »
It's beautiful David, as are all of your creations.   

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 11:43:30 PM »
Does anybody sell the furniture for these? My father has a great example that I would like to copy, but furniture seems to be not too commonly sold. Beautiful gun

Greg

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 12:50:14 AM »
Dave, how were the hickory ribs attached to the barrel?

I'm not Dave but... the ribs are pinned to barrel lugs just as they'd be on a full stock.
Kevin

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 11:05:44 PM »
Kevin,
You are right.  The thimbles were made with two tabs on them.  The correct way to install them was to straddle the lug on the barrel. 

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 01:37:20 AM »
Kevin,
You are right.  The thimbles were made with two tabs on them.  The correct way to install them was to straddle the lug on the barrel. 

David,
 I'm not sure that I've seen any late flint, New England rifles where the pipes didn't straddle the barrel tenons.  And, I don't recall seeing this anywhere else. Also, I really enjoy seeing your rifles. Thank you.
  I do have a question on the trigger guards... were the guards cast with the little tab on the front or were they soldered on later? 
Kevin

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 02:12:18 AM »
Kevin
When I was designing my NE Rifle I had the benefit of twelve original rifles here in my shop to examine,  that were owned by my friends.  All the trigger guards had the little tab on the front cast with the trigger guard.  I can't say that all NE rifles were that way, only the ones that I have seen.   I can't help but wonder what was the purpose of it.

David Price

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 02:51:46 AM »
All the trigger guards had the little tab on the front cast with the trigger guard.  I can't say that all NE rifles were that way, only the ones that I have seen.   I can't help but wonder what was the purpose of it.
David Price

Dave,
That style triggerguard is a hallmark of the New England rifle. I've never read anything about the "why of it". I can recall seeing only one rifle that had all of the defining characteristics of the New England Rifle that had a triggerguard without that long narrow tit at the front.
I'm trying to locate a very old issue of Man at Arms that had an article about these rifles. Perhaps the secret is in that article.
Anyway, love your rifle.
Kent

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 08:38:21 PM »

I have one with the identical patch box - which is not one of the common ones - signed "W. Allen" on the barrel. So far, I've not been able to identify W. Allen though it's almost certain he was a relative of Silas. As to trigger guards...I have two or three that don't have the little projecting tit at the front. Henry Pratt often didn't use it but had a distinctive guard with a hand rail similar to the 1817 Common Rifle. I also have one with an obviously imported English trigger guard that is also seen on militia muskets and fowlers.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 08:42:33 PM »

I have one with the identical patch box - which is not one of the common ones - signed "W. Allen" on the barrel. So far, I've not been able to identify W. Allen though it's almost certain he was a relative of Silas. As to trigger guards...I have two or three that don't have the little projecting tit at the front. Henry Pratt often didn't use it but had a distinctive guard with a hand rail similar to the 1817 Common Rifle. I also have one with an obviously imported English trigger guard that is also seen on militia muskets and fowlers.

The article was by Don Andreason. It had to be nearly 30 years ago and I also remember that it was in an issue we had a problem with. There were just enough copies to mail to the subscribers so I'm sure we don't have a left over back issue. If you call the office, Kristin can get you a scan of that issue. It was the only article by Don so it should be easy to find in the index.

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 08:50:25 PM »
Joe--Thanks for the info.

I was able to find my copy of the Mag. It was Vol four number six Nov/Dec 1982. pgs 10-15.

It is a great article for anyone with even a passing interest in New England rifles. It draws from Andreasen's many years of collecting and these great rifles and examining well over 200 examples.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:13:37 PM by WESTbury »