Author Topic: Watson knifes  (Read 1867 times)

Offline snapper

Watson knifes
« on: August 10, 2020, 05:16:37 PM »
Some of you will remember that a set of 5 Billy Watson knifes were recently sold here.

I got busy over the weekend.  Cleaned up the knifes, put a razor edge on them and made 4 sheaths. 

For the leather I heat up equal parts of neats foot oil and bees wax on the stove just warm enough to make it liquid.   The leather goes in the oven at 175 F.   Once everything is heated up I simply use a cheap paint brush and liberally apply the mixture.   Pop them back in the oven and let the mixture soak into the leather.  I do this twice.

I dont dye my leather, I like to just let it darken with age and use.

The largest knife I have not made a sheath for yet.  Not sure what I am going to do with that one.

One of the smaller ones will go to a buddy this week that I owe for all the work that he has recently helped me with.

I think my 22 year old son must be sick.  I asked him last night if he wanted one of them.   He told me that I have already made and given him more knifes then he knows what to do with.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Watson knifes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 02:39:27 PM »
Those are some nice looking knives, for sure!  I use the beeswax treatment on knife/axe sheaths and such as well...it’s pretty durable and makes a nice looking finish, I think. I’ll have to try the oven trick...I usually just use a heat gun.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 03:56:01 PM »
For those that were interested in the smaller knifes, my oldest son latched on to the smallest one when I stayed with him Friday night.   My buddy that I owed a gift to picked the  second smallest one.   The middle sized one is for me.  The two largest ones I have not decide if they go or stay yet.

Fleener

Offline Ezra

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 08:36:25 PM »
Excellent, nice to see they went to a good home.  They served us well for many years.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 09:03:17 PM »
The largest one has found a home in the kitchen.  Used it just a few hours ago to cut up a tomato.

Fleener

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »
Great work. If you decide to rehome either of the big knives, I'd be interested.

Cheers, Jordan