Author Topic: Built Kibler rifle kits  (Read 5417 times)

Offline electricfactory

• Starting Member
Built Kibler rifle kits
« on: August 15, 2020, 01:28:58 AM »
Gentlemen,
 I have lately seen pictures of several built Kibler rifles online, and have read as many glowing reviews of Kibler kits. My interest has now been thoroughly piqued, am wondering what a good price would be to find a built Kibler rifle kit on the used market ? Building my own is for a number of reasons simply not an option, hence my inquiry. Thanks in adavnce to all responders, am very pleased that I found this forum, have picked up so many great tips and ideas already!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Built Kibler rifle kits
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 01:44:38 AM »
Welcome. Depends on who built it and how well they did, I suppose. Our member Muskrat Mike has one built and finished by Jim hisownself so that's the high end and a well put together plain one by a hack like me might go for $$1300- 1500 with no extra work done to it. So call it $1300 for a steal and $2500 and up for one with a lot of extra work done to it. Our very own Mike Brooks built one recently that would bust that high end....

Depends on what you want.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 03:40:44 AM »
Another option is to buy the kit and have Jim send it to one of his "finishers" to complete it and send it to you. Then you would have a "new to you" rifle. Not the cheapest option but cheaper than trying to buy mine from me!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 04:52:47 AM »
Like Bob said, it depends.  Kind of like asking “ How much does a car cost?”.
Gotta know what accessories and upgrades are included.
Simple assembly $500-$600.  Goes up from there.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 07:07:26 AM »
Most of the reviews are posted by people who reviewed the assembling of the kit.  If you are wanting an assembled rifle, there are many options besides the Kibler rifle.  There isn't enough difference in the parts to matter.  You may want a gun with an LOP, shorter barrel, or drop that fits you better than the Kibler guns.
Brice Stultz

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 04:58:45 PM »
EC,
But now you’re getting into custom work,...... at about double the price.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »
There a lots of used guns around if you shop a little.

For example, I bought this one "used" for $2000 with no 3yr. wait, and it is a perfect fit.   Must have been a closet queen.  That isn't much more than a plain Kibler kit with third party assembly. 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:50:52 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 07:51:55 PM »
Sometimes you get lucky and find a deal and sometimes the seller just wants to dump a lemon and prices it at a low price. For my money I would buy a used gun only if I can examine and test it. Pictures can make the gun look great but may not set off the pan powder 100% of the time and fire even less. I build my own that way I know what I have. With the quality of the kits out there and some time you COULD make a fine rifle of your own ;D!  $1000+ is a LOT of money to spend on a "pig in a poke". My two cents worth ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline electricfactory

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 12:18:55 AM »

Now that is a fact.

....$1000+ is a LOT of money to spend on a "pig in a poke". My two cents worth ;)

Offline Molly

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 02:26:19 PM »
Try putting a listing in the "for sale/wanted" topic.  I bet there are a lot of people who would offer one they made and be willing to make themselves another.  This way you at least get to see what your getting.  In fact one of the members in our club has one that was put together by Kibler and finished by a local builder.  Looks great and shoots great and he has talked about selling it but ???

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 04:28:38 PM »

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 10:46:24 PM »
You don’t have to settle with just a Kibler.

Post a WTB and make sure the seller has a good amount of posts and is reputable. For the same or less as a finished out Kibler you can get some extraordinary guns. Check Track of the Wolf as they always have a number of custom guns for sale and you can bet your bottom dollar they will not sell you a bum gun, awesome folks to do business with.

Jeff

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 05:24:24 AM »
It never hurts to ask.  There is a very nice man called Mike Brooks in Ohio. He builds really cool Flintlocks. Talk to him about payment terms..... Jeff

Offline Joey R

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 03:06:19 PM »
Ohio??
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline electricfactory

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »
I have to admit there's no way to spot a lemon from a listing- a rifle which has sparking issues, poor lock/ trigger installation etc. I actually found a finished Kibler at a listing in DE, very attractive rifle and in the style and caliber( .54, also .50) that I'm looking for.
But as you point out a 'bum' gun doesn't advertise the fact through pictures. What style rifle would you call this ?

You don’t have to settle with just a Kibler.

Post a WTB and make sure the seller has a good amount of posts and is reputable. For the same or less as a finished out Kibler you can get some extraordinary guns. Check Track of the Wolf as they always have a number of custom guns for sale and you can bet your bottom dollar they will not sell you a bum gun, awesome folks to do business with.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 04:15:15 PM by electricfacrtory »

Jeff

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 12:44:23 AM »
opps wrong state my bad

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 03:00:35 AM »
The Kiblers are about 2 months behind on quoted rifle kit orders.

I have been patiently waiting for mine and was told the waiting period would be 1 month, but it has turned into 3.

This is a very good thing. It means their business is booming! More folks with time at home and wanting something to do such as building a rifle, and their are no finer made kits than the Kiblers. Awesome people and guns and even though their wait times are up right now, it’s still a fraction of the time it’d take to get many kits not to mention the waiting lists from some builders are in the years, not months.

Can’t wait for mine! :)

Offline EC121

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 04:14:06 AM »
Kibler calls it a Colonial style.  That would be pre-revolution.  That about covers it.   It should be OK.  The rifle is advertised as new.

Brice Stultz

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2020, 03:37:42 AM »
The second rifle would have been better without the crude carving  IMHO.  It will be mechanically good though.

Offline Gene Slodysko

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 09:52:37 PM »
What would be some of the causes for concerns, leading to a lemon posting? What would be the culprit for issues with burning pan powder or ignition in general?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 10:34:50 PM »
What would be some of the causes for concerns, leading to a lemon posting? What would be the culprit for issues with burning pan powder or ignition in general?
Gene, are you asking how you could know a rifle for sale is a “lemon”? Specifically, in functioning poorly or being inaccurate?

If a gun is a build of a high quality kit, you know it has good components and is unlikely to need more than a little fiddling and getting used to.  If a used gun or a scratch build, if made by a reputable builder, and well maintained, it should be good.  Outside of that, the things to be sure of are the barrel and the lock. If commonly viewed as excellent, those are 2 less things to worry about.

I’d not advise buying a gun of unknown origin as a shooter unless it was coming from someone with a trustworthy reputation who is also a shooter who insists on good quality for their guns.

A great many functional issues can arise. Slow locks with poor ignition of prime. Poor touchhole placement. Poor trigger function. Barrels with issues.
Andover, Vermont