Author Topic: tapered rod tapered channel  (Read 3334 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
tapered rod tapered channel
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:06:53 PM »
when one makes a gun with a tapered rod does the channel has to have a small tapered to it
Denis

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: tapered rod tapered channel
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
If the rod has a fairly significant taper in the area exposed, I would taper the rod groove slightly.  I'm sure treatment on origninal guns varies quite a bit, but I have noticed tapered grooves on a few.  RCA #42 comes immediately to mind.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:56:16 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:54:05 PM »
There's at least 4 ways to do this.  The hole, the groove, or both can be tapered, and the groove can be tapered along the whole length, or mostly widened at the muzzle.
1) Make a non-tapered ramrod groove, drill the hole with the same sized straight drill, then progressively widen the groove all along the length.  You'll need custom thimbles.
2) Same but mostly widen the groove mostly at the muzzle end and possibly also make the groove deeper at the muzzle end to make a slimmer forend and nosecap.  First thimble is bigger.
3) Make a non-tapered ramrod groove, drill with a straight bit a smaller size, and taper the ramrod in the hole.  Thimbles all the same size.
4) Make a non-tapered ramrod groove, drill the hole a smaller size and then ream it out with a tapered bit so the hole is tapered.  Thimbles all the same size.

I prefer #2, a unifornly made ramrod groove the same diameter as the ramrod drill, to make the drilling go right, and then change things later, usually widening the ramrod groove and making it a little deeper at the muzzle end so the ramrod swells mostly at the end.  Then I taper the ramrod in the hole somewhat so it can't bind.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:56:02 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:46:34 PM »
I agree with Rich and Jim.
Personally I only taper the channel if the original I have in mind while building has one also, and even then not always. I would only caution not to have the fit be to tight....a little humidity can reek havoc on a tight rod. 

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:59:51 PM »
thank you gentlemen this will be done shortly.
 i am now in the critical phase of trimming the excess wood and repairing the don't do again mishap's. I will keep just enough wood for the sanding and adding a patch box. Pressurrrrre
Denis