Author Topic: "Moravian" smooth rifle at auction.  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
"Moravian" smooth rifle at auction.
« on: October 10, 2020, 04:47:24 PM »
In addition to the great stuff coming up at Morphy's in November, it looks like this little sweetie is coming up for auction in December at Poulin's:

https://www.poulinauctions.com/fine-important-18th-century-moravian-smooth-rifle/

I've always thought this one is particularly interesting.

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: "Moravian" smooth rifle at auction.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 05:46:28 PM »
Dang it! I just blew my money on a couple 94's.......... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline alex e.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »
A very handsome gun.
First thing I noticed was the absence of carvings on the lock panels. With all the other stylings, it works fine without them.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 06:12:59 PM »
Rich Husja used to hunt out of a cabin about 20 minutes from me and he would often stop up here for "show and tell."  He brought this one up a couple of times.  It's really amazing as to just how light and graceful it actually is, despite having a good sized breech and lock plate that is really a little oversized for the gun.  Just a super gun.

If it was mine the first thing I would do would be to remove the old replacement lock parts, certainly the cock and frizzen spring, and come up with something to my eye more appropriate and believable.

This has been defined as a "Moravian" rifle largely based upon the style of cheek carving and the dovetailed toe plate.  All I can say is that - again, to "my eye" - the carver does not appear to be the same guy who carved 41/43, nor 42.  Nor does it really mesh with the lion/lamb, nor Oerter's griffin rifle, nor the 'two tailed dog.'  The side plate does not match up with any of Oerter's very repeatable arrow side plates; this one looks to be a more developed form closer to Allentown (Moll) influence.  I have no doubt that it's a Northampton county piece, but if it is indeed a Moravian piece, I think it's possible that it may display a different hand than the usual suspects
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 12:42:03 AM »
That's a great piece - I like it. Rich was a gentleman, I didn't know him well but was fortunate to have conversed with him extensively the last 3 or 4 KRA shows before he passed.

Buck

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 02:13:44 AM »
I actually built my turkey gun around this piece a couple of years ago.  Spoke with Rich about it at the Morgantown show a couple years back.  He seemed to think it could have been done by George Weiss at the CS shop.  All I know is like Eric mentioned, it is light and a dream to carry.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 11:58:08 PM »
Buck:  Rich used to tell me about riding around on his bike when he was still in school, picking up rifles from various old shops, and that was late 1940s I think!!!!  He was one of those real treasures that was always interested in these old guns, and pretty much saw it all through the entire second half of the 20th century.  His brother is also a great guy likewise!  Both of them the kind of guys willing to bend over backwards to help someone get 'hands on' a bunch of these great old pieces.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 01:51:53 AM »
Eric,

Obviously I didn’t know him as well as you did, but I had the good fortune of enjoying some time with him at the KRA. A exceptional individual.

Buck

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 05:10:21 AM »
I'm not sure I've ever seen a relief carved rifle (smooth or rifled) without a patchbox. Very unique.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 05:25:54 AM »
I'm not sure I've ever seen a relief carved rifle (smooth or rifled) without a patchbox. Very unique.
The Wm Antes-attributed early smooth rifle (is it RCA 17?) comes to mind as a carved smooth rifle sans patchbox.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bill Wilde

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 02:09:08 AM »
I first saw this firearm back in the mid 1970's on display at the Eagle Gun Museum which was owned and operated by the late Vince and Helen Nolt. Vince had an auction in 1984 when he closed the museum and sold most of his collection including this gun. It sold back then for $4620.00! Not sure if Rich was the highest bidder back in 1984.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 02:32:47 AM »
It’s one of the most elegant guns of the period.
Andover, Vermont

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 04:38:21 AM »
This is a truly fine 'smooth rifle' with a lot of class. One very much like it was sold, probably five years ago, in an upstate NY auction house. Carving was incised. It had a 'Monte Carlo' or rounded cheek rest, as I recall. It gaveled down at about 10K. Surprised that these guns haven't grown patchboxes by now. Many have. Give it time though and some ambitious fellow will
attend to it. Thanks for bringing it to our notice.
Dick

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 04:44:12 AM »
Surprised that these guns haven't grown patchboxes by now. Many have. Give it time though and some ambitious fellow will attend to it.

WINNING COMMENT OF THE DECADE!!!!!!!

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 05:27:51 AM »
In the spirit of learning, are those light areas around the cheek piece star and on top of the comb ahead of buttplate where the brass was cleaned at some point?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 06:22:42 AM »
Any original from the period that doesn’t look black and crusty has been at least cleaned and washed at some point.  But beneath the grime and gunk there will have been more wear at the places where it was often touched and handled. These will include the wrist, forearm, and the face plant spot. Many makers today simulate the varied tones from wear using different techniques.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 03:05:09 PM »
What Rich said above.  Also, yes, it was quite common to clean the brass.  One *assumes* that brass was cleaned or polished in-period, otherwise why polish it in the first place?  Subsequently, into the 20th century, it was very common for people to "clean" the brass on these (now antique pieces) with brasso or something similar, and it often removed finish around the brass components being cleaned.  This was unfortunately almost a 'standard' well into the 1950s and 1960s.  Maybe even the 70s too, although I think attitudes were beginning to change at that point.

Nowadays, I sometimes get old guns here from folks who want the over polished metal darkened back up!!!  :P

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 02:13:44 AM »
Thanks, I was wondering because the wood around the star is much lighter than the wrist, which normally would receive more wear. I think it would take a while with some pretty gritty whiskers to create that look. :)