Author Topic: Substitute Powders with RB loads  (Read 4975 times)

Offline smoke

Substitute Powders with RB loads
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:43:49 AM »
Hi: Has anyone tried Shockeys Gold or Triple7 with patched RB loads. Thank's Dan

caliber45

Re: Substitute Powders with RB loads
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
Hey, Dan -- Since no one else wants to 'fess up, I'll do it. I've used Triple 7 with my .40 and .45 percussion "carbines," and had good luck with it. Usually could get half-inch or 3/4ths-inch groups at 25 yards with it (barrels are 21 inches) over a rest. Not wonderful, but, hey, I ain't much of a sharpshooter anyways. I switched to "real" black powder after realizing that all the old hands on this forum turn up their noses at the synthetic stuff. I find the accuracy about the same for both. The good thing, though, is that while I was paying $25-plus per pound of Triple 7 purchased in the only black powder shop I can find in Tucson (pop. 1 million), the nice folks on this forum steered me to the mail order suppliers who are kind enough to sell me a pound of the real stuff for around $13~! Thanks, guys. p.s. I found the cleanup about the same for Triple 7 as I do for the real stuff, too. - paul

Offline smoke

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:06:36 AM »
Thank's Paul. It seems that the real stuff is in short supply in Canada that is why i am asking. They make a big deal about shipping BP while they should be more concerned with what's in tankers going up and down the country. Dan

Harnic

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 02:45:23 AM »
Welcome to the board Dan.  I use 777 exclusively in my Ruger Old Army revolver, but can't in my flintlock rifle as it's too difficult to ignite.  In the ROA, I find it far more accurate & powerful that bp & cleanup is a snap with the stainless pistol.  I like it & it is a lot easier to find here in Canada.

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 04:31:41 AM »
My hunting pard uses nothing but 777 and loves it.  In periods when Goex gets in short supply locally I've worked lots with Pyrodex, and prefer it to the 777.  My rifles almost universally prefer P over RS or Select and shoot it as well or better than real black.  The same applies for Goex 3f. 

Neither 777 nor Pyrodex offers any cleaning advantage that I can see, but they will make your gun go bang when there's no real black to be had.  I'd rather keep shooting than stop just because someone else doesn't like the subs.  My guns.  My choice.

Offline smoke

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:24:47 PM »
Thank You. That is good news as the local supplier has no trouble getting substitutes but BP not so easy.

I have a caplock now but hope to get a flintlock soon. Thank You for the welcome. Dan

DBox

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 02:36:04 AM »
I use triple 7 FFFG in my 45 and 50. It works better in the 50.

Harnic

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:56:26 AM »
The distributors aren't the trouble RB, it's government regulation.  They've changed the shipping/storage regulations so much over the past few years, it's just too complicated & expensive for dealers to stock something that doesn't sell very well.  I imagine the insurance companies have played a role in most shops decision not to carry black powder anymore too.  The result is more & more shooters are moving away from flintlocks to caplocks or (shudder) inlines so they can use the subs.  I rarely shoot my flintlock anymore, preferring to shoot the ROA with 777.  I managed to get my mitts on 4,000 CCI #11 caps & 777 is easy to find, so far.  The end result is I'm getting pretty good with the pistol & can't hit the broad side of a flock of barns with my 50 cal flinter!

Harnic

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 04:34:30 AM »
I never even try to buy locally...I just have a distributor direct ship a case of it to me...are you not allowed to buy it like that?

I've never tried RB, but that's not a bad idea.  Just get a couple friends together & split a case.  I'll look into it.  Thanks for the idea!  I'm still going to use 777 in my ROA, it works MUCH better! ;)

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 06:19:14 AM »
The federally licenced shipper for explosives in Canada, refuses to ship black powder - at least in BC.  We get powder at rendezvous.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:19:35 AM by Daryl »

Harnic

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 07:20:22 AM »
Well, I have 5 pounds of Goex fffg, enough for 5 or 6 more years at the rate I shoot, so I'll wait a while.  ;)

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
Just finished off the 25 pounds I bought at rondy last year, a couple days ago.  MORE POWDER!!

Offline smoke

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 03:40:33 AM »
Hi : I have already talked to McLeods near Victoria last year and shipping is the problem. That is also the story my local store gives me.

Harnic

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 06:52:01 AM »
I guess those looney bureaucrats back east want us to start manufacturing our own !@*%&@ powder!  I know a guy who's planning to do just that.  I better stay in his good books!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:53:04 AM by Harnic »