Author Topic: Cleaning Between Shots?  (Read 5584 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Re: Cleaning Between Shots?
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »
DTS, I agree... that would be ideal.  When we call cease fire on the line, all arms must be completely unloaded.   Still, the wetter patches worked quite well. 
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2020, 11:11:24 PM »
As I read your initial question I thought about a situation I once had. I was using too tight of cleaning jag. Instead of pulling crud out with the cleaning patch, I was pushing it down into the breech plug face. Try a smaller diameter jag. It won’t need to be much smaller than what you’re using. Jerry

Offline bones92

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2020, 11:59:31 PM »
I've wondered about that, as well, Jerry.  Could probably chuck the jag in a power drill and run it holding a piece of sandpaper alongside the jag. 

I've actually been thinking of a jag that is narrow going down and can expand at the bottom, thereby pulling all fouling out.  I have a few ideas as to design.  Simpler is better.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2020, 03:27:35 AM »
Don't over-think this.  Wiping is not necessary if you use a snug ball and patch combination with a fairly wet patch.
Even if the last shot's fouling has time to dry, it is still loadable.
For when it's time to clean the bore, we normally size the jag to allow a doubled cleaning patch, especially for cleaning
 deep, rounded grooves.
Chucking in an electric drill and running it against a file, is preferable to running it against sand paper held in fingers,
which will round the corners needed for 'grabbing' the patch.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2020, 06:17:55 AM »
Now here is one you may not have heard of. Some serious match shooters shoot, reload, THEN wipe the bore!!!!!!  A brass brush with a patch stuck to it wipes above the ball!

Now it’s just possible that the guy showing me this was pulling my leg. But I think it’s an actual practice.

One thing to remember- if you have confidence in your technique and feel you have an advantage then you will shoot well. Whether hocus-pocus or not- if a shooter believes it will shoot better, it may.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2020, 08:11:47 AM »
Rich: I have seen several shooters clean after loading before shooting. Some of the long range bullet muzzle loading shooters do with their Gibbs rifles.

codger

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »
Rich.. at the old club where I shot; sadly long gone, all the old timers used a damp patch on the jag of the range rod to seat the ball. You need 10's and x's to beat those fellows. ;)

Offline bones92

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »
Daryl, that's a good idea.  I've tried using two patches before, but it's too tight.  Slightly reducing the jag diameter to allow two patches with a nice, tight fit would be ideal.