Author Topic: Midway USA  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Sawfiler

Midway USA
« on: October 28, 2020, 09:01:53 PM »
Just got two pounds of FF and two pounds of FFF Goex from Midway USA for $18.99 per pounds plus an eleven dollar hazmat and free shipping. I liked that there was no minimum quantity and the hazmat wasn't too bad. I also was ordering some things for my modern guns so it shipped with those. Just thought I would pass it along.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline Sweeney

Re: Midway USA
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 10:07:09 PM »
Midway is a true 'mom and pop' organization, good folks. Great to do business with. And since Cabelas has been on a downward spiral after selling out to Bass pro, I try to get all I need from Midway.

Offline RANGER94

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 10:31:07 PM »
Thanks I am going to look into that!

Ranger94

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 11:50:21 PM »
Midway is a true 'mom and pop' organization, good folks. Great to do business with. And since Cabelas has been on a downward spiral after selling out to Bass pro, I try to get all I need from Midway.

Me too.  I agree.  I used to get shipments from Cabela's probably weekly.  Haven't gotten one since they became Bass Pro.  Pretty sad as they were a great  place to deal with.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 09:57:47 PM »
Midway...........Midway to where?????????????????  They don't ship to Canada!!

But they keep sending me email adverts with all the stuff I can't order. Can't get off their email list!

What is the matter with them? No one else has trouble shipping to Canada!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 10:01:31 PM by canadianml1 »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 11:14:00 PM »
Midway stopped shipping to Canada after they got caught shipping rifle scopes to Canadians, back in the Clinton years (this, after an agreement between that Pres. and the then PM Trudeau that
USA companies would be restricted from shipping rifle (sniper) scopes to Canadian citizens.  This was declared across the USA - still, Canadian wholesalers could buy scopes from the States, just
not individual civilians.
I was informed, Midway was fined something like $250,000.00 for their transgressions and that was the end of their shipping anything to Canadians.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 02:33:02 AM »
Interesting point about the riflescopes. Is it a case that they have to be registered and purchased from approved vendors? Not trying to discuss forbidden objects, just curious about our neighbors to the North.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 06:54:11 AM »
The restrictions with respect scopes and any other thing that attaches to a gun, cannot be exported to Canada according to American law. What part the Canadian government played in this is a mystery to me but I have no reason to doubt Daryl's account.

I used to buy scopes and such directly from US sources but now I must purchase them from a Canadian retailer. The problem is the price is higher and the choices are very limited eg. just try an find in Canada a fixed power Weaver Classic 6X. Scopes are not registered nor are long guns if they are in the non-restricted class. Presumably wholesalers in Canada would need to be approved to obtain scopes by the US export authorities.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 02:56:47 PM »
Ok guys this topic has drifted from it's original discussion regarding the purchase of black powder. Let's not get further into the politics of international sales.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 04:10:02 PM »
I see that Midway limits you to 2 pounds of any particular powder... I guess they don't want people hoarding black powder.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 06:41:01 PM »
Thanks for the note, I've not traded with Midway in years. Had no recollection of them even handling black powder.  Is GOEX the only flavor?
Hold to the Wind

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 11:21:07 PM »
I've done business with Midway a fair amount in the past and had no complaints.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 01:11:47 AM »
I live about 1 hr from midway great people we also have Graffs reloading in Mexico Missouri
I am also close to them I usually just drive up and pu my powder it is about a 3 coffee trip

Offline Gene Slodysko

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 02:11:18 AM »
I think you can buy 2 of each type of black powder. Meaning you could buy 2-3f Goex ,2-2f Goex, and 2-2f Old Enysford, etc

Offline wolf

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 02:34:20 AM »
I am also a handloader, for about 53 years now. and I have been buy from midway longer than I can remember. before the internet came along. they are good to deal with,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Gene Slodysko

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 03:34:53 AM »
I just tried to place an order for black powder. It now doesn’t qualify for free shipping since a “purchase limit” was issued. Is there any other good sites to purchase from that offers free shipping and hazmat only charges?

arcticap

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 07:30:20 AM »
Graf's sells Goex under their own Graf's label at a discount for $16.59 per pound but they're out of stock of Graf's in 2F and 3F at the moment.
The offer $9.95 flat rate shipping plus $12.50 Hazmat. --->>>  https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501
However there's no limit on the amount of powder and the Goex red label is $19.95 plus they have some other brands.
Normally buying Graf's powder at the lower price would offset some of the shipping costs vs. buying Goex at Midway.
Look closely and you'll see that the Graf's powder label clearly states that it's made by Goex.
They sells tons of Goex powder under their blue label at a discount price to customers throughout the US.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 07:40:48 AM by arcticap »

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 10:06:30 AM »
I have bought from Graf's and Midway, in person and by order.  Both are great businesses.  Grafs has great Black powder deals.  Midway no longer has a storefront, alas....

Bought a lot of BP from Graf's a short while ago.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2020, 12:53:27 AM »
Hear good things about Graf's and that they ship all over the USA - wish we had an outfit like that.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V