Author Topic: J. Harder Rifles  (Read 1270 times)

THRbroker

J. Harder Rifles
« on: November 02, 2020, 04:50:13 PM »
I'm writing a detailed history of 19th century Harder Family rifle production in middle Pennsylvania and I'm particularly interested in any examples of three-barrel rifles similar to this post of any Waverly marked rifles or any three-barrel rifle marked Harder from the various locations he produced rifles in P.A.:
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2943.0

This post shows a plate marked "J. Harder, Waverly, N.Y." which is not typical of J. Harder rifles out of Athens, or Lock Haven, PA. that are stamped on the top of the barrel. I believe this was originally posted by someone from a museum so if you happen to know which museum that would be useful to me.

If any of you have photo's of Harder rifles you'd be willing to share I'd like to see them. So far I have examples of 7 different marks from Jacob and his sons.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Lanny

Offline OLUT

Re: J. Harder Rifles
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 05:28:35 PM »
Lanny, I have specialized my collecting to percussion two-barreled over under guns and am particularly interested in Jacob Harder as he was a major maker of this type gun. Although I have no 3 barrel versions from him and none marked with the Waverly or Athens address, I do have 9 other percussion versions ( and one of his cartridge versions). My earliest version is a swivel breech without any town name stamping that I think was made just after he left his apprenticeship with Bartlett Brothers in Binghamton, NY. Thus I am extremely interested in your detailed history. As you undoubtedly know, his sons also made similar guns after moving out of Lock Haven, Pa. I am aware that a collector of his guns died in the last year or two and MAYBE another member can direct you to that collection.
Let me know by e-mail to WGLOWE@TDS.NET specifically what you need in the way of photos, info, etc & I'll try to send the info directly to you rather than bogging down the ALR link.
A question for you: It appears that Harder started serial numbering his guns when he began to stamp them "J Harder and Son". Is this also your finding, or?

THRbroker

Re: J. Harder Rifles
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 05:30:39 PM »
OLUT,
I will send you an email. BTW the link I had below was the wrong message thread. This is the Waverly three-barrel: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2944.0