Author Topic: Ohio Rifle Percussion Kits or Builders  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Pmringer

• Starting Member
Ohio Rifle Percussion Kits or Builders
« on: November 03, 2020, 03:54:23 PM »
Good morning,

After years of shooting flintlocks I have a bug for a half stock percussion rifle.  Being from Ohio I am thinking an Ohio style in .45 caliber.  Sitting Fox has a "Michigan" kit  that is reasonably priced and has a slight different stock shape than typical.

At any rate, curious what everyone's thoughts are on this style in terms of builders or kits that aren't overly expensive.

thanks
Patrick M. Ferringer

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: Ohio Rifle Percussion Kits or Builders
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 06:35:26 AM »
I would look at a Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply Vincent kit or their Ohio kit. I think that the Vincent is pretty nice & goes together pretty easily. They aren't really cheap but are good value for your money.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 09:04:41 AM »
What part of Ohio are you from? I looked at that kit and it looks to have a slight perchbelly to it, sorta what would have been found in the northwest corner of Ohio. The example shown didn't strike me as anything to say "WOW", I think it's somewhat chunky and not overly sleek  (which is what I like), but the figure in the wood is nice.
Personally, I am not a kit builder, but rather assemble parts based upon an idea of what I'd like to build. I truly enjoy making Ohio based halfstocks and I am fortunate that I live very close to the Log Cabin and have access to museum pieces and originals that come in. I use these to establish a stock profile and ideas as to decorative inlays, patch boxes and engraving patterns. There are many styles of Ohio rifles that have distinctive features that are derived from regional areas.
When I make a halfstock I always ask myself would this have been used in my state or close proximity to Ohio? Many of those halfstocks were true working pieces with no frills, but there are also those that show a very gifted hand and are quite pleasing to the eye.

Offline Pmringer

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »
I was born in raised in Wooster and have since settled in SE Indiana after moving all over the country for my job for 10 years after college.

Log Cabin was a weekly trip for me just to check things out. 

I agree.  No frills working "tool" rifles are my preference.  I like .45 or bigger caliber even though a lot of Ohios were smaller.  Need to make sure it is adequate for deer.

I am not opposed to buying or trading for a new one.  In fact, I posted one of my fowlers for trade yesterday.
Patrick M. Ferringer

galudwig

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »
I dearly love Vincent rifles, but this one is on my bucket list of builds.

The Teafe family worked out of Steubenville in Jefferson Co. not far from where I grew up. I have an original Teafe rifle from James Jr. that I can use for a stock pattern and references. Very "Reading-esque" with the comb profile and unadorned patchbox. Most people associate Ohio-made guns with the percussion era, but there are plenty of examples of flintlocks out there.

This example was gleaned from an AOLRC (Association of Ohio Long Rifle Collectors) newsletter that had an in-depth article about the Teafe Family of gunsmiths.

If you are looking for ideas for real Ohio rifles; percussion or flint, I highly recommend you check out ALL the newsletters on the AOLRC website. Don't limit yourself to the so-called "Ohio rifles" on the pre-carve market. You can get a barrel channel cut and ramrod hole drilled fairly cheaply (by Pecatonica or others) in a blank and you can draw on any pattern that you like. Besides, friends don't let friends build X-ichgan rifles...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 04:24:29 PM by galudwig »

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM »

The Teafe family worked out of Steubenville in Jefferson Co. not far from where I grew up. I have an original Teafe rifle from James Jr. that I can use for a stock pattern and references. Very "Reading-esque" with the comb profile and unadorned patchbox. Most people associate Ohio-made guns with the percussion era, but there are plenty of examples of flintlocks out there.

This example was gleaned from an AOLRC (Association of Ohio Long Rifle Collectors) newsletter that had an in-depth article about the Teafe Family of gunsmiths.

If you are looking for ideas for real Ohio rifles; percussion or flint, I highly recommend you check out ALL the newsletters on the AOLRC website. Don't limit yourself to the so-called "Ohio rifles" on the pre-carve market. You can get a barrel channel cut and ramrod hole drilled fairly cheaply (by Pecatonica or others) in a blank and you can draw on any pattern that you like. Besides, friends don't let friends build X-ichgan rifles...  ;)

That's funny: friends don't let friends build X-ichigan rifles! Galudwig's advice is great with regards to the AOLRC. The Log Cabin can put in a channel and ramrod hole for you if you'd   like to take that approach.

Offline Pmringer

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 09:10:28 PM »

That design is amazing.  I really like the simple full stock blending in to the distinctly regional butt stock shape.  I may have to dig into that a little more.
Patrick M. Ferringer

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 11:29:52 PM »

I was told by many there was "no such thing" as halfstocked American flintlock civilian rifles.

This proves otherwise.

galudwig

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 10:41:09 AM »
The lower rifle was made by James Teafe Jr. The patchbox on my rifle is very similar to that of the flint rifle; at least from the hinge to the buttplate. The lids and release mechanisms are the same as are the stock profiles. Mine is a full stock, but the Teafe family worked well into the percussion era and half stocks were in their repertoire.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 05:34:32 AM »
PM,
I have a spotless Vincent built by Jerry Kirklin in Michigan, 1986. It was one of 3 prototypes for Golden Age Arms Vincent kits and is marked #1. Asking $1500 plus shipping. Can send pics.
Mark

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 07:02:15 AM »
PM,
I have a spotless Vincent built by Jerry Kirklin in Michigan, 1986. It was one of 3 prototypes for Golden Age Arms Vincent kits and is marked #1. Asking $1500 plus shipping. Can send pics.
I would like to find one of the early Vincents sold by Golden Age Arms. Well before the 1980s.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Not English

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 09:47:25 AM »
Smokinbuck, more info please.  A Vincent is my next project.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 01:40:16 AM »
  Speaking of Ohio rifles. I have an original full stock percussion I would like to get more info on. It's rear sight has been replaced by a Winchester rifle sight. The wrist has a period repair. But it is unsigned.....   Oldtravler

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 02:08:17 AM »
Not English,
I will attach some pics for you.[/img][/url]
dupe [url=https://ibb.co/7k8KprZ]]
Mark

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 02:13:40 AM »
[/img][/url]

Having trouble posting more.