Author Topic: Load Testing From a Bench - Why?  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Daryl

Load Testing From a Bench - Why?
« on: November 12, 2020, 09:39:54 PM »
I bench a gun, testing different powder charges and different patches to find the most accurate load for that gun - for a given purpose, whether it is target shooting or hunting.
Of course, the lubricants I use for each endeavour are different.  I do way more shooting on targets than on game - WAY more, 5,000/1 more, thus I decided to use a relatively
inexpensive water based lube for targets & straight Track's mink oil or Neetsfoot oil for hunting.  It would simply cost too much to use those two hunting lubes, for target work.

The reason I do all my testing from the bench, is due to the inherent precision & accuracy potential of shooting from a rest, as opposed to position shooting, ie: prone, kneeling
and standing.
I know for a fact, that if I can achieve  better precision/accuracy on paper using a bench & that those results will translate into better grouping from any other shooting position
I happen to be shooting from.

Oft times you will see or hear guys say, bench accuracy doesn't matter because I am shooting offhand.  That is just plainly incorrect. It does matter.

For example, if your gun is capable of shooting into 1/2" off the bags at 50yards, and your kneeling capability at that range is 3", then you should be shooting a
potential  'group' of 3" + 1/2" + 1/2" = 4" or slightly less depending on where your 'accuracy' had the shot land ie:on the edge of your ability's 3" or inside that group.

If the gun is capable is making a 2" group at 50yards off the bags and your kneeling capability is the same 3" previously noted, you will potentially shoot a group of
3" + 2" + 2" = 7" or slightly less depending on where the shots fall.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline shifty

Re: Load Testing From a Bench - Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 10:01:03 PM »
   I agree its the best way to know for sure what your combos are doing.

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 11:28:39 PM »
I agree. Bench for accuracy is best. That proves the accuracy potential of a load.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 12:22:48 AM »
I've never trusted my shooting skills alone to find an accurate load.  The bench is where I start and I do not move to "field" position shooting until I'm satisfied with the bench results.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 01:43:21 AM »
Yes Yes Yes, you just can't hit were your aiming if the gun isn't sighted in with a consistent repeatable load. Well if you got LUCKY maybe but that would be luck witch isn't usually repeatable every shot. I some times question those who claim to love to shoot their muzzle loaders but only shoot three shot groups to find the best loads. If you like to shoot do at least 5 shot groups, I do 10 shot groups if I have the time and ammo.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 04:48:55 AM »
I usually only use 5 shot groups, but a number of them, usually 3 or 4.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »
I usually only use 5 shot groups, but a number of them, usually 3 or 4.
That is a good regimen Daryl. I typically do my load development off cross sticks. Most ranges do not have benches adequate for muzzle loaders. When I lived in the Phoenix Valley, I used a range that had concrete benches.
However it is best to confirm your optimum load in the same manner that you stated on different days .
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline recurve

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 05:59:25 PM »
WHY? I want to KNOW what the rifle can do >>>---> then I can add in my mistakes

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 06:10:31 PM »
Every one is just a little different but for my shooting I can't trust my self with 3 shot groups as if one goes wide and two are touching each other I don't know if the wide shot is where the sights were or if the two touching holes are the actual group. Also if shooting in variable light conditions your shots can print in variable positions on target. Most guys are more steady than me so I need more verification ( more shots ) before I can make up my mind on a load or sight adjustment.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 07:30:51 PM »
If anyone disagrees with what Daryl posted I would like to hear it. That is exactly how and why you start off at the bench for all load development then you can shoot however you please. This process takes longer than most new shooters believe. It is however on of the things I love to do when I get a new rifle. What size ball, patch thickness and lube will this new child like? it is all part of the experience.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline kudu

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 08:28:56 PM »
It might be just me Butttt...

I have learned what most guns (should  like) "patch and ball combo"
when I start shooting a new Rifle and or Smoothbore. I start with the following.

most guns I and the little woman shoot like a thicker patch .016 or more nothing below .015

also the ball size is almost always .008-.010 under bore size.

Just started shooting a new smoothbore I made. the bore is .579 (odd I know)

So i found a 562 mould It casts  .563 balls and my patching for a rifle .020 thousands and 65 grs. of 3f  went to the range. behind the barn.
Loads a little tight, not too Bad just a sharp smack of the short starter.  But jeepers It shoots real good, not in the RIGHT SPOT gotta flex the barrel yet- but it shoots good groups almost one hole at 30 yards.
I dont see alot more load development maybe powder charge  up and down (mostly Up I suspect), will see at 50 yards.  but  some barrel flexing / bending is Definitely in order.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 12:00:18 AM »
kudu - a 24 bore, that's cool!  Used to be a popular size, even into the ctg. era.
Daryl

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 02:35:34 AM »
The process Daryl outlined is the one I have used for years.  I have found that the optimum load off a sand bag/bench setup will shoot pretty dead on off hand (at least as dead on as I can hold any more) but will tend to shoot a little high off of cross sticks.  I also use a muzzle rest for the greatest level of stability, ramrod out.  Since hunting charges are heavier than target/silhouette charges, working up a hunting load is a separate process.   I usually bench hunting loads at 25 yard increments out to 125 yards to determine point of impact at different ranges.  Rate of drop accelerates pretty quickly beyond 75 yards.

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 03:55:56 AM »
If shooting off bags on the bench place the bags where your hand will support the rifle offhand
It will affect your impact point
Just my opinion

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 03:00:55 PM »
If shooting off bags on the bench place the bags where your hand will support the rifle offhand
It will affect your impact point
Just my opinion
If you are shooting to develop the most accurate load, where your group is on the target is not relevant. In fact you shouldn't fiddle with your sights at all until you have established your best load.
Once you are certain you have your best load , if the gun is going to be a bench bench gun go ahead and make sight adjustments.
If the gun is going to be an offhand  gun, unless the groups are wildly off the mark, make your sight adjustments while shooting offhand.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 05:14:56 PM »
Daryl,

You are spot on, as usual!!

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 11:54:43 PM »
This was an exercise in futility to a great degree but the wind was nil and I wanted to check this rifles zero out! I had to shoot at least 25 shots because I was getting FITPs every other shot due to the fact that on this particular day the lock decided to take a dump by only falling to the half cock position every other attempt to get a shot off! I have since solved the problem as it was the trigger assembly rather than the lock!

.54 Hawken Flintlock by Sharps Man, on Flickr

For those that shoot competition where shooting offhand is required...totally OK! I don't shoot competition so offhand or standing shooting I don't bother with! I can....but I don't! Early on I was taught that when hunting.....use some form of rest when shooting if possible....no matter how good a marksman you may be and I have maintained this concept throughout my 70 years of hunting! 98% of my shooting is off my bench because I know that this position will deliver to me the best possible accuracy and frankly....I want to see just how well I can make the rifle and load I'm using deliver to me group wise! A static bench procedure delivers the best for me! Oft times a group or something that's been noticed while shooting a string will jump out at you! For instance....the shots toward the 6 o/clock position were made after I noticed that I could not get those four loads to seat properly due to a powder ring forming in the barrel! I was using pillow ticking with spit patch for all the ten shots made and was not wiping! This was made shooting my .54 Hawken using 100 grs. KIK 2F powder and Hornady swaged balls. Shot from 70 yards!

The forearm rests in my right hand and my hand rest atop the rolled up shooting mat!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:12:10 AM by Sharpsman »
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 12:59:40 AM »
If your developing a crud ring it might be caused by a variety of reasons. Granulation size of the powder (?) lube (?), powder Brand (?), relative humidity or maybe others. Changing one variable at a time , you might find the cause.

Offline Sharpsman

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 01:20:02 AM »
RH in these parts is the major contributor to the problem! Four hurricanes the last six months....can be highly conducive to the cause! ::) ::) :'(

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 09:03:46 PM »
Sharpsman, your position looks pretty good. I use a very similar position, however I shoot right handed. I see you also have a left hand bench.  My bench is cut
out on both sides, so easily shootable either left or right. Lock trouble can screw up a target, that otherwise would have been better, more consistent. Perhaps
 a little wetter patch would reduce or eliminate the 'fouling ring'. Except for the 2 or 3 shots to the left, it's not a bad group & sounds like a decent load.
I find holding the rifle as you are, on the bench, I get good groups as well as identical point of impact to shooting offhand, as I hold the rifle in exactly the same
location on the forend when shooting offhand or bench.
Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 09:17:43 PM »
Sharpsman that is a fine looking bench!

Mike

Offline alacran

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 10:39:43 AM »
Gee I wonder why the competition bench shooters rest their barrels at the muzzle huh? Could it be that they have no intention on ever shooting those heavy rifles offhand? Or could it be that they minimize horizontal spread by resting at the muzzle?

Offline Sharpsman

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 07:15:47 PM »
Sharpsman that is a fine looking bench!

Mike

Thanks! Trained all my grandkids on it in the beginning!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 09:53:47 PM »
Ahh - now I see the side I couldn't, in the first picture. ;)
Daryl