Author Topic: Oxidation on lead balls  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Scattershot

• Starting Member
Oxidation on lead balls
« on: November 28, 2020, 06:39:20 PM »
I recently came across some .54 lead balls I had forgotten about. They were covered with a white powdery oxidation, and I’d like to remove it. What is the best way to clean these up?
Suppository guns are just a passing fad.

Offline wolf

Re: Oxidation on lead balls
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 07:50:32 PM »
i would just was them in dawn and water. or shoot them as is, it won't hurt a thing,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Stillwater Dan

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 07:53:58 PM »
I have thrown a batch or two in my brass media tumbler , cleaned them up pretty good .

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 08:03:12 PM »
Don't handle them with your bare hands, until they are clean. The oxides are quite nasty, I've read.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 08:16:39 PM »
I just use a rag.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 08:25:58 PM »
Shoot them that will get rid of the oxidation ;) ::) ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Scattershot

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 08:26:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far. These are thoroughly coated, like a powdered sugar donut. A dry rag doesn’t work.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 08:36:15 PM »
Spray them with WD-40, then wipe off with a rag.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 09:21:30 PM »
Put on disposable gloves.  Yes, WD40, put all in a folded rag, roll them back and forth in the rag tube.  Throw the rag away.  Wash your hands thoroughly.  The white powder is lead oxide, it is very toxic and easily absorbed. 

IF I am getting fancy I tumble may cast balls with graphite.  It makes them pretty, removes the sprue and slows oxidation. 

Offline redheart

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 10:30:03 PM »
Put on disposable gloves.  Yes, WD40, put all in a folded rag, roll them back and forth in the rag tube.  Throw the rag away.  Wash your hands thoroughly.  The white powder is lead oxide, it is very toxic and easily absorbed. 
IF I am getting fancy I tumble may cast balls with graphite.  It makes them pretty, removes the sprue and slows oxidation.

I'm with Scota. This works great! ;)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 12:01:47 AM »
For what's worth, I don't seem to have that problem even though I have some cast bullets and round balls which are more than a few years old.  I spray them down with WD40 [ stored in plastic peanut butter jars ]  after casting .    I did have some old Dominion lead bullet ammo which was covered in oxide. Must be the oxygen in the air ?  Damp ?

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 02:14:53 AM »
Like Bob, I have some boxes that are over 20 years old and still in good shape.   A plastic tub or an old military ammo box make a good storage containers for the boxes.   Gloves are a good idea, and a mask  or a good fan when  you cast hot lead.  The fumes are not friendly either.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 04:44:30 AM »
Those things are quite dangerous and will cause death to any deer hit with them!  Send them to me for environmentally safe disposal.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Scattershot

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 05:27:59 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys, including the offer to dispose of them for me. I wound up spraying them with WD40 and rolling them in an old towel (twice) and tumbling them. They came out  clean. Not pretty, but clean. FYI, these were in a leather pouch. The older balls stored in a box or plastic bin were fine.

Offline Percy

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 05:40:32 PM »
I put the balls in a  plastic soda bottle, add enough water to cover. Add a teaspoon of Dawn plus a tablespoon of CLR. Shake for a few minutes and let sit overnight. Next day shake again and drain the liquid, balls are nice and shiny.

Percy

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »
At one time, in order to add weight to a shotgun stock, people would drill a hole under the plate, then pour in lead shot. this would balance out a barrel heavy gun.
Over time the lead would oxidize causing the  shot to swell. I've seen more than one stock split because of this .

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 05:23:17 PM »
For what's worth, I don't seem to have that problem even though I have some cast bullets and round balls which are more than a few years old.  I spray them down with WD40 [ stored in plastic peanut butter jars ]  after casting .

I do exactly the same thing and have some balls I cast years ago.  They have no oxidation and are just fine. 

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »
Good stuff here.

Some old-timer once said to me: That white is oxidized lead--it won't bother you (as if oxidized lead was not toxic).

He wasn't right, as you fellows know and as I just double checked with modern information.

I'll handle the white lead more carefully now, but I should notify my pal who digs the stuff up in his spare time. 

Here's a cowboy way to vacuum seal your pb against O2.  Put the lead into a canning jar, heat it/balls and the jar (top of wood stove is great), then cap when hot.  When it cools down a seal will form as the air inside the jar (dried from the heat) shrinks as it cools.  No excess oxygen, no moisture, no oxidation.   Also no oily balls.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 07:44:30 PM »
If you're brave (or crazy) enough you could collect and save the lead oxide for producing the compound to fashion a spotted horn.

But it probably isn't conducive to a long and healthy life.

Mike

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 08:40:20 PM »
Earl Lanning gave me an old receipe for making an oil finish. It needed to be "mulled" for a while with several corroded round balls. The lead oxide was to help it dry. I could not get enough lead oxide in it to help drying so I added a drop or two of Japan dryer.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson