Author Topic: Old Alcan Wads - Any Use in Muzzleloading?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Kevin

Old Alcan Wads - Any Use in Muzzleloading?
« on: November 29, 2020, 10:49:42 PM »
Greetings All,

I came across some new-old-stock Alcan 3/8 waxed shotgun wads (10 ga.) amongst some other stuff.

Has anyone ever made good use of such wads in conjunction with a muzzleloading smoothbore?

Many Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Scota4570

Re: Old Alcan Wads - Any Use in Muzzleloading?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 11:19:26 PM »
I have used them in 12 ga.  The fiber wads and over shot cards fit my bore and loaded fine.  Fitting the bore is key.  They are more difficult to load than the super soft circle fly ones.  You may want a 5/8 or 3/4" hardwood dowel for loading.  I used the 1/8 card for over shot.  They made a seal unless is nicked the edge to allow air to escape.  IF not the air pushed the ramrod back up.   

Offline Kevin

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 03:52:16 AM »
Scota4570,

Thanks for sharing your M.L. experience with such wads.  The word "waxed" in the description on the box made them sound like they might be questionable.

Thanks Again,
Kevin

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 04:43:16 AM »
The only "trouble" with the waxed wads, is the weight of them. If shooting without a choke, (which tends to separate the wads from the shot column) the heavier wads will tend to blast
through or into the shot cloud after it leaves the muzzle, and 'blow' the pattern into donuts.  I have seen these results when using normal-type wad columns in muzzleloading guns without
any choke. Of course, it also happens in non-choked modern guns made around the turn of the 20th century (late 1800's).
I have one such gun, a London gun which shoots fine with simpler wad column without heavy "lubed" wads.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 12:46:33 AM »
Daryl,
Thank you for the additional observations regarding these wads.

Kevin