Author Topic: Patch Lube Update - Hoppe's BP  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Marcruger

Patch Lube Update - Hoppe's BP
« on: November 30, 2020, 09:32:39 PM »
Hi Folks,

I did a back to back comparison of two lubes yesterday. 

The lubes are HOPPE'S Black Powder Gun Bore Cleaner and Patch Lubricant, and HOPPE'S Black Powder Gun Bore Cleaner (notice no mention of patch lube on the second one). 

My go-to after testing has been the HOPPE'S Black Powder Gun Bore Cleaner and Patch Lubricant, a slimy greasy liquid that is tan colored.  What I would guess owl snot is like after a bad sneeze.  Works for me better than tallow or Lehigh Valley Lube (the original).  Works great at wet patching as Daryl advises. 

I was down to one bottle, so I ordered three more bottles online.  Uh oh.  I got the second cleaner with no "lube" in the name.  It is labeled HOPPE'S Black Powder Gun Bore Cleaner.  This stuff is a liquid that looks and feels like milk.  Smells similar to the other cleaner and lube. 

I tested both yesterday as patch lube.  The groups were the same on target, with a small edge to the milky stuff.  Could have been my eyes though.  The milky stuff actually rams down the bore easier than the slimy stuff.  I attribute this to the thinner liquid penetrating the patch canvas easier and more thoroughly.  No difference in patch condition after firing.  No difference I can see in cleanup, so apparently this "cleaner" also works pretty well as a patch lube.  Happy coincidence. 

Load was .495 roundball with a .015 canvas The-Minute-Men untreated 100% cotton canvas patch over 72 grains of Goex 2f.  No sunlight shows through a fired patch after recovery (my patch quality test).   Fairly tight load for ramming, and I used a ball starter. 

On the target below, the shot at lower right is the first shot from a clean bore at 50 yards.  The cloverleaf of three rounds are the next three shots.  Wet lubed.  No wiping between shots.  The picture of the two bottles shows the difference in the two liquids, both labeled Hoppe's BP. 

I also noticed that at 50 yards, there is a 1" difference in the first shot from a clean dry bore versus from a fouled bore.  Hardly anything to worry about unless head-shooting squirrels. 

I hope this helps someone a little.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

Re: Patch Lube Update - Hoppe's BP
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:59:23 PM »
Marc - the tan coloured cleaner and patch lube, sounds like the old Hoppe's #9 PLUS, BP cleaner and lube.
The milky stuff, I have not seen.
When Taylor and I shot the postal match yesterday, I ran out of my LHV lubed patches, so was using spit
for lube as I failed to put the bottle in my canvas range bag. There was a difference, of course, in loading
with the LHV being super slippery, compared to spit. Loading the .682 slightly hard balls (brinel about 10)
with the 10 ounce denim at .021" was a bit harder than prior, with the rifle's Osage rod, but it worked just
 fine.
Good shooting, BTW.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 10:13:07 PM »
Marc:  nice write-up and comparison.  Over the course of my BP shooting 'career', I have only used one bottle of Hoppe's 9 Plus, and I found it to be excellent patch lube, though I never used it to clean my rifles...water works just fine and is free.  That said, I have also used and still use other concoctions that work just as well.  I would not be able to say that Hoppe's was better or worse than some of the simple lubes I use.  These days, I tend to go with lubes that don't cost me anything, but work perfectly.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 10:36:11 PM »
Hi Marc: I also use the old Hoppe's at times and have had good luck with it. I too like my patches to be soaked clear through as you noted, I'm thinking that that first shot might be off this time around but more tests wwith a clean dry barrel might show other wise. A worthy experiment I think. Nice shooting BTW.  :)

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 11:06:26 PM »
Just to be clear, I am not using either Hoppe's for cleaning, just for patch lube. 

I've always used room temp water for cleaning, but at a friend's suggestion I have recently been trying cheap blue windshield washer fluid for cleanup.  It does seem to work a bit better. 

Thank you for the thoughts guys.  I certainly bow to those who have much greater experience than I do. 

Daryl, on shooting my last shot with a 20-grain squib-ish load to minimize fouling cleanup, I had a fascinating phenomenon occur.  The atmospheric conditions made for a delightful smoke display.  It looked like the weeping willow-like tendrils of smoke you see after some fireworks burst.  Do you ever get these with your last shot "squib"?

God Bless,   Marc

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 02:14:38 AM »
Marc, you've been using my favorite patch lube.  When I started using Hoppes BP lube it was a thin cloudy liquid which still worked very well.  Later they changed it to a thicker, brown liquid that worked like a dream.  Now, as you found, the lube is thinner and the cleaner is thin and relatively clear.

I did some testing as you did but NOT as in-depth as your test.  I found both to be excellent patch lubes and would be hard pressed picking one over the other.  I have a couple bottles of each for most shooting needs.  TOW mink oil is still my hunting lube of choice but the Hoppes gets used much more often.

This is the last Hoppes I bought and don't think these drums are still available.  It was near empty when I moved so gave it to a friend.  It was the great thick, brown lube I liked so much.  But as you experienced, I believe the current liquids will do just as well, at least from my abreviated test.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »
I am with Hanshi I use a lot of Hoppes BP Cleaner and Lube at the range and Mink Oil when Hunting. I do have the habit after shooting of running a couple of wet Hoppes patches through the barrel followed by a couple of dry just to remove the heavy fouling before heading home. Thanks to an internet screw up on my part I have enough Hoppes BP Cleaner and Lube to last longer than I will be around but I guess there are worse problems. I haven't found a need yet for anything other than these two lubes.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 10:01:11 PM »
Just to be clear, I am not using either Hoppe's for cleaning, just for patch lube. 

I've always used room temp water for cleaning, but at a friend's suggestion I have recently been trying cheap blue windshield washer fluid for cleanup.  It does seem to work a bit better. 

Thank you for the thoughts guys.  I certainly bow to those who have much greater experience than I do. 

Daryl, on shooting my last shot with a 20-grain squib-ish load to minimize fouling cleanup, I had a fascinating phenomenon occur.  The atmospheric conditions made for a delightful smoke display.  It looked like the weeping willow-like tendrils of smoke you see after some fireworks burst.  Do you ever get these with your last shot "squib"?

God Bless,   Marc

No I don't Marc, however I will watch for that next time. 
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V