Author Topic: Video of me shooting the 2 Bore Boxlock Muzzleloader  (Read 10458 times)

CowboyCS

Video of me shooting the 2 Bore Boxlock Muzzleloader
« on: August 27, 2009, 02:50:24 AM »
The moment so many have been waiting to see; VIDEO of me actually shooting it. There should be two videos below one is hi-res(16mb) for the guys who have faster internet, and the other one is lo-res(2mb) for the dial-up users. They are the same footage of me taking three different shots; the first shot was the very first shot from the shoulder, the load was 13 drams(355 grains FFg) and patched round ball, the other two shots in the video were the final shots I made, 16 drams(437 grains FFg) and patched round ball.

Hi-res:

Lo-res:

This was the target from the last two shots in the video, shot at 50 yards:

I'm not sure exactly how to describe the felt recoil other than it was a lot, but it is still within my range of tolerance.

Colin

eseabee1

Re: Video of me shooting the 2 Bore Boxlock Muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 03:16:28 AM »
all I have to say to that is ouch

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:26:14 AM »
You may be my brother's brother, and I may be adopted.  Lord have mercy!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:36:32 AM »
I could tell you have a young, nimble body.   No way would I shoot that thing.   By the way, when are you leaving for Africa?...........Don

CowboyCS

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:37:24 AM »
As soon as somebody drop a truck load of money off at my house.

Colin

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 03:40:11 AM »
As the French would say"SACRE MERDE!!"  And up would go the white flag. ;D

Bill
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:43:13 AM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Colonial Riflesmith

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 05:08:16 AM »
Aim small, Miss small.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 05:40:49 AM »
I can't imagine shooting 355 & 437 grains of powder.  If I did I could very well end up in the next county - possibly state?

Have to admit, you don't see that every day.  Wow!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:43:54 AM by Candle Snuffer »

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 05:42:25 AM »
I can't imagine shooting 355 & 437 grains of powder.  If I did I could very well end up in the next county - possibly state?

Have to admit, you don't see that every day.  Wow!

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 06:44:26 AM »
Hat's off to you Cowboy - that rifle doesn't look as if it kicks any more than my 14 bore - however, it MUST.  You absorb recoil like a young fellow - I used to be young ---- once - probably, don't remember but sometimes think I'm younger than I actually am.  That hurts, normally.  Good shooting for such a belter.  24 pounds probably holds steady, eh. The hardest part would be keeping eyes open AFTER firing the first shot.

Way to go.

CowboyCS

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
Thank you, it does have a massive amount of recoil, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm not all bruised up like I was the last 4 bore I sighted in. I'm a little tender in the shoulder this morning, but not bad. I think if it's eventual owner(whoever that ends up being) wants to spend some time really developing the load, it could be a real good shooter. It handles very well for such a heavy rifle, you might have noticed in the video's that I am able to handle it with one hand, the balance came out very good.

I should try to do a frame by frame video, cause when I slow it down on my computer using the original footage, you can really see how it tries to twist me around and flex me over backwards at the waist, the muzzle comes up to about 40 degrees at full recoil. It's hard to see unless you slow the video and go frame by frame.

Colin

ironsights1

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »
Are you planning to work up loads with both 2F and 3F with Swiss as well as Goex for 25, 50, and 100 yards? If so, is there a waiver in your insurance policy addressing this sort of self-abuse?

CowboyCS

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 04:44:14 PM »
Nope, 50 yards and 2f is as far as I'm going to take it, this thing is really only good for hunting Elephant, and the average shot on Jumbo is usually around 35 yards.
And I'm fairly sure my insurance man would laugh in my face, if I tried to file a claim for an injury from this type of activity.

Colin

CowboyCS

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 05:02:08 PM »
I took a little time this morning and made a frame by frame video so you could really get and idea of what kind of recoil this thing has.

Here's a link to it:

It's really quite impressive when you slow it down and see what is actually happening.

Colin

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 06:02:30 PM »
I think you've found your deer rifle!  :o ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

CowboyCS

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 06:04:22 PM »
Just pointing it at them should make them lay down and surrender.

Colin

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »
Nope, 50 yards and 2f is as far as I'm going to take it, this thing is really only good for hunting Elephant, and the average shot on Jumbo is usually around 35 yards.
And I'm fairly sure my insurance man would laugh in my face, if I tried to file a claim for an injury from this type of activity.

Colin

You are correct. I would never shoot FFFG in this, bore is far too large. Even FF is plenty small.
But then I would never shoot it anyway being a notorious sissy.

If I wanted to shoot  elephant (supposing the wife should win the big lottery) with a ML I would "probably" use a 4 to 6 bore with rifling.
Be a little lighter and if Bakers rifle of this approx bore size "never failed to floor a charging elephant" its big enough. Or ambush one as Taylor did and use a 10 or 12 bore.

Someone should recreate the 4 bore smooth Selous used to use and make a video of shooting it with a handful of powder. 4 oz ball, 18-20 drams, 12-14 pound gun. Sounds like a real challenge.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Jeff Peters

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 07:46:13 PM »
That is a shoulder cannon ... not a rifle
#@!! $#@* what a hole

Jeff

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »
 Just curious, did you proof test before you put that thing to your shoulder? If so what kind of load did you use?

Thanks, Tim C.

CowboyCS

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 09:01:53 PM »
There is another thread up in the gun builders section (2 Bore Boxlock Muzzleloader) with a link to the build documentation. In the middle of my build page there is a video of the proof test with 1000gr FFg and double ball.

Colin
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:02:43 PM by CowboyCS »

Bob F

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 04:41:18 AM »
I've done a lot of crazy things when I was younger, like flying a large plane toward a SAM site on purpose, but there is no way I would have fired that monster!  I like the fact that my arm is still attached to my body via my shoulder.  If I fired that cannon I would now be a lefty!

One thing...that video looked awesome!!!   ;D

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 05:26:18 AM »
That is a very cool video! I bet you ain't gunna spend the afternoon burnin' up powder with that thing. ;D
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

CowboyCS

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »
Sir Samuel baker said he fired his 2 Bore "Baby" about twenty times over the course of several years, I'm thinking half that is probably to many times.  ;D

Colin

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 04:12:26 PM »
Well, just watching the video makes my shoulder hurt as I head off to work.  As I said, you don't see this kind of stuff everyday.  Could you post some close up pictures of the rifle.  I'd kind'a like to see it.  Looks really interesting. :)

CowboyCS

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 04:58:51 PM »
Well, just watching the video makes my shoulder hurt as I head off to work.  As I said, you don't see this kind of stuff everyday.  Could you post some close up pictures of the rifle.  I'd kind'a like to see it.  Looks really interesting. :)
There is another thread up in the gun building section here: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6293.0 that I posted the pictures of the rifle in. There is also a link in that thread to the documentation of the build from start to current, takes you to my website.

Colin