Author Topic: Buffalo Horn or Not Buffalo Horn ??  (Read 1465 times)

Alan Mclellan

Buffalo Horn or Not Buffalo Horn ??
« on: December 18, 2020, 05:31:27 AM »
Hi all,.. i have this old Powder Horn and would like to know if anyone could help me out if it is Buffalo Horn or other, ? it has real age to it, The raw hide has gone very hard, the hide strap appears to be a later addition but is attached to what i think is Original leather. it's 31cm in a straight line,. it has great patina,.. i'm thinking it may be Native American but not sure,. Thank you. Cheers Alan..

Offline Jeff Murray

Re: Buffalo Horn or Not Buffalo Horn ??
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 06:10:15 AM »
It is hard to tell from the pictures. the third shot appears to have some grain running along the curve.  I have found the buffalo horns that I have worked show more (coarser)  grain running the length of the horn than cow horns.  They seem to have an appearance  that looks more like cemented hair which they basically are. 

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 06:15:08 AM »
The horn appears to be a cow horn to me. Its surface roughness makes it a little harder to see the actual surface, but the gentler curve and less striation in surface look a lot more like cow than buffalo...and I don't see the darker color so often associated with buffalo horn. Shelby Gallien

Alan Mclellan

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 01:27:51 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys,.. you're probably correct about it being Cow Horn,.. my camera is not real good but i will try and get a clearer pic of the Horn some time soon,.. Cheers..

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 06:35:39 PM »
 About half way down you will see some light color, you see that one some horns. I have never seen that on a Buff horn, usually Solid Black, making me think too that it is cow.

Tim C.