Author Topic: Got The Rifle To Group, However Exhausted Sight Adjustment  (Read 6991 times)

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
Re: Got The Rifle To Group, However Exhausted Sight Adjustment
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2021, 08:03:13 PM »
Good Luck MB, I “adjusted “ the barrel on my smoothbore last weekend...

It had always shot low and left, about an inch outside the 7 o’clock on a 6” target..at 25 yards.

It took taking the barrel off twice too get it centered, but now I’m a happy camper!

My barrel looked perfectly straight , before the “adjustment “.... now it definitely takes curve up and too the right....

The only issue I had was one pin didn’t follow the original hole going back in...
It came out thru the wood about 1/16 th off center of the existing hole.. slotted tenons may have prevented this.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2021, 02:01:24 AM »
Good Luck MB, I “adjusted “ the barrel on my smoothbore last weekend...

It had always shot low and left, about an inch outside the 7 o’clock on a 6” target..at 25 yards.

It took taking the barrel off twice too get it centered, but now I’m a happy camper!

My barrel looked perfectly straight , before the “adjustment “.... now it definitely takes curve up and too the right....

The only issue I had was one pin didn’t follow the original hole going back in...
It came out thru the wood about 1/16 th off center of the existing hole.. slotted tenons may have prevented this.

Thanks, got to run the gun today some before the rain hit. Now it's shooting mostly to the center, but got to work on tightening up the grouping. I am hoping that I can get that done next time at the range     
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2021, 02:30:44 AM »
A nicely smoothed crown, a ball .010" or .005" under bore size and a 10 ounce denim patch(.021" to .0225").
Short starter to get it started and down with the rifle's rod - or a range rod if yo prefer.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2021, 03:16:38 PM »
My message to them this morning

Folks, there is just no way this barrel will ever shoot right. I am totally fed up with it.

I have tried everything, it will shoot an x, then shoot to the right and high. Shooting .490 with .20 patch, 70 grains fff.
All shot from a bench, and I have expended much lead and powder do no avail. 
I think this barrel is a lemon, and I want to change it out. What is your warranty policy on something like this?
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2021, 06:44:03 PM »
What warranty policy?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2021, 06:54:53 PM »
I'm confused here. You got the rifle to group but now its shooting all over the paper. What did you change that it will not group any more?