Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
Finally!
« on: December 25, 2020, 11:35:44 PM »
Merry Christmas to all! I’ve finally got a start on my first ever LR build. I’m going for an SMR from a blank I got from Allen Martin, a Rice Southern Classic in .50. I’ve got the wood all laid out and drawn and I’ll be cutting the profile out on my buddies band saw soon. Today I dove in and draw filed the barrel which went much better than expected. I’ve got all the iron hardware selected but I’m still up in the air with the lock choice. I’d like to hear some opinions/suggestions. I’m going to use this rifle a good bit, trail walks, hunting and I want the best lock option that fits the best for the style and most of all, reliability. Thank you Bill Raby for the inspiration and all your videos, it’s led me down a looong path as well as this forum!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: Finally!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 11:54:23 PM »
I wouldn’t pass on the opportunity to use a Late Ketland.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 12:41:42 AM »
Late Ketland from Kibler or Chambers.I assume your thinking flint?

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 01:17:04 AM »
Late Ketland from Kibler or Chambers.I assume your thinking flint?

Absolutely. Should have mentioned that.

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 07:51:10 AM »
Another vote for the Kibler Ketland.

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 09:03:42 AM »
I also vote for a late Ketland.  Reliable and fast. Good luck with your build.
                                                       Roger Sells

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
   Working from a blank for the first one. I love it!!! Building a gun is really hard. I could never do it. But draw filing a barrel is pretty easy. So is cutting a profile. Inletting a barrel is not very hard either. Actually none of the steps are really very hard. So just do a bunch of individual steps that are all pretty easy and eventually you have a finished gun without even realizing it.

The whole secret to success is your attitude. Don't think of the goal as a finished rifle. Make the goal to enjoy the time that you spend building it. And don't try to make it as nice as some gun you saw in a picture on the internet that was made by a guy with 40 years of experience. Instead, make every effort to do the best job that you are capable of doing. No shortcuts! If you are capable of doing a better job on some step, do it, even if it takes an extra week.

I am glad to hear that the videos inspired you. Hopefully they will help you along the way also.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 02:05:57 PM »
I always used Chambers Late Ketland, fast reliably. I like the Kibler Ketland and will hopefully use one as soon as I get caught up with some unfinished projects.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 06:38:21 PM »
Bill Raby,

Very good advice.    What you say is a bit like the old advice on quitting smoking, don't look at the big picture, start with a minute, then two minutes at a time!
I always think with gun -building, what Herschel House told me one time;  If you get to a difficult bit, stay with it, don't try to go around it but stay with it and work through.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 09:33:57 PM »
Late Ketland is the easy choice here. It’s the appropriate style for a SMR and has a long history of reliability.

I might also add my 2 cents for any first time builder.  WITH RARE EXCEPTIONS, a nice PLAIN, well designed rifle, (such as a SMR), is the best choice for a first build, with the best odds of becoming a rifle that will still be utilized and appreciated years from now.  Carving and engraving on that first build often fall short either in design or execution, or both.
For examples of great looking plain, and some not so plain, rifles check out the thread titled Plan n Perdy Riffles started by blienemann.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=50924.msg505314#msg505314

FWIW,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 11:41:00 PM »
Jim Chambers late Ketland. 
David

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 03:26:26 AM »
   Working from a blank for the first one. I love it!!! Building a gun is really hard. I could never do it. But draw filing a barrel is pretty easy. So is cutting a profile. Inletting a barrel is not very hard either. Actually none of the steps are really very hard. So just do a bunch of individual steps that are all pretty easy and eventually you have a finished gun without even realizing it.

The whole secret to success is your attitude. Don't think of the goal as a finished rifle. Make the goal to enjoy the time that you spend building it. And don't try to make it as nice as some gun you saw in a picture on the internet that was made by a guy with 40 years of experience. Instead, make every effort to do the best job that you are capable of doing. No shortcuts! If you are capable of doing a better job on some step, do it, even if it takes an extra week.

I am glad to hear that the videos inspired you. Hopefully they will help you along the way also.

The way you’ve presented the steps in the building process in the Tennessee rifle series really resonated with my style of learning a new skill set. The process of breaking each task down into its own contribution to the overall finished rifle makes good mechanical sense. It’s also noteworthy that you did not edit out the “oh s$&t” moments and included your methods of saving the project and/or just getting yourself out of a potential jamb. Tool sharpening is IMO the most important part of that series, I’ve since learned much in that area.

Late Ketland it is, I’ll post some pics as things develop, I’m sure I’ll be asking for advice along the way!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 05:53:45 AM »
A copy of “southern mountain rifles” and the KRA disk for southern mountain rifles will answer a bunch of your questions.

Offline Not English

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 07:36:39 AM »
Wingshot, I won't contradict any one's lock recommendations. On a totally personal note, I don't like late English locks. They're very good locks and probably represent the heighth of flintlock development. As far as a first build goes, I applaud building from a slab. Be aware that the most common mistake by first time builders is to have too much wood on the stock. If you think in terms of everything hung off of the barrel, it will help in thinking regarding forestock dimensions.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 09:59:13 AM »
Take off as much wood as you dare. Then take off a little bit more. When you realize that you screwed up and took off too much, you probably have it just about right.

Offline RMann

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 06:38:32 PM »
If using that Late Ketland lock, is it OK to round off the rear tail of the lock like I see in so many original Southern Mt. rifles?  I am ready to, just a little nervous....

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 06:52:26 PM »
Yes indeed. Not a problem.  Let er rip!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 07:10:58 PM »
If using that Late Ketland lock, is it OK to round off the rear tail of the lock like I see in so many original Southern Mt. rifles?  I am ready to, just a little nervous....
Here is an example late Ketland lock with a rounded tail on my Gillespie.  I also changed out the cock to a double throated one.

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 02:20:46 AM »
This is going to be a slow moving project and I plan to take pics along the way, I’ll do my best to update as often as possible. I kind of like the idea of having all the talent here looking over my shoulder even if it’s only virtually.

Offline RMann

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 10:17:18 PM »
Rounded my tail... thanks guys for the confidence.