Author Topic: Who makes a Model 1817 “common rifle” today?  (Read 1978 times)

cjsoccer3

Who makes a Model 1817 “common rifle” today?
« on: January 02, 2021, 06:51:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

Happy holidays and I hope this post finds you well. I am new to the forum, and I wanted to ask if anybody knew anyplace to find a model 1817 reproduction? I think it would be really nice to get a moderate to higher end (at least solid quality) flintlock that is very overbuild and that late military pattern would easily fit the bill. It would be a pretty rifle to take out hunting and also not have to worry about ammo / cap shortages.

Thanks!

Offline Gunnermike

Re: Who makes a Model 1817 “common rifle” today?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 09:06:30 PM »
The Rifle Shoppe is the only place I know of that makes a complete parts set for the 1817.  Years ago they used to offer completed guns but they are so inundated with orders apparently they do not offer that option now.  Track of the Wolf has offered 1817's for sale once in a blue moon over the years, but it is very rare.  They used of carry parts from The Rifle Shoppe but only have a few parts left now.  I bought parts from Track years ago (it was a very trying experience) & from the The Rifle Shoppe (bought a 1817 lock set from them) which went okay. 

I eventually finished the rifle while taking a machining course at a junior college.  I wound up machining every screw on the gun including the wood screws, lock screws and breech plug & made the ramrod because Track sent me a 33" rod instead of the correct 36" one.   Had to weld up casting flaws also - good times!?

Here's a couple of photos of mine from 2007:

good luck with your search, Mike

Offline 45-110

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 09:55:57 PM »
Gunnermike
That sure is a fine build, well done. I have lusted over this model for years. They are a fine handling rifle.
Maybe this is the winter  I will build one.
kw
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:41:40 AM by 45-110 »

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 10:29:21 PM »
KW Thanks much for those kind words.  I understand why cjsoccer3 is looking for one, you won't never see 2 of them on a firing range at the same time.
Mike
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:36:25 PM by Gunnermike »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 11:24:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

Happy holidays and I hope this post finds you well. I am new to the forum, and I wanted to ask if anybody knew anyplace to find a model 1817 reproduction? I think it would be really nice to get a moderate to higher end (at least solid quality) flintlock that is very overbuild and that late military pattern would easily fit the bill. It would be a pretty rifle to take out hunting and also not have to worry about ammo / cap shortages.

Thanks!

Check with Don Stith at Donstith.com he sells component kits for the Lewis & Clark rifle and MAY have info on the common rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline emmagee

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 05:03:35 AM »
I have a Rifle Shoppe 1817 that I bought several months ago. Whoever built it did not do a very good job so I have sent it to a real rifle maker to redo it.

A handsome rifle to be sure. The quality of your build is very apparent. Enjoy!