Author Topic: Tapered breech plug wrench  (Read 3337 times)

Offline 577SXS

Tapered breech plug wrench
« on: January 16, 2021, 04:14:59 PM »
Several times when I was removing breech plugs I'd use a Cresent wrench to clamp on the plug. I'd use lead sheet to protect the plug but I always seem to get a scratch or two that got marred. I just got in a new Rice barrel and wanted to pull the breech plug out. I had decided to make a solid tool steel wrench to fit perfectly. Well as I got to thinking I decided to try something else first. I had a cheap Chinese Cresent wrench hanging on the wall so I took my side grinder to the upper jaw. I didn't like that so I tried a file which normally would not cut a GOOD wrench because of hardened jaw. Well my file cut it fine and I filed the top jaw on a taper to fit breech plug. I didn't have to file moveable jaw because of the slop in it. Pulled plug right out without a scratch.

be safe images
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 10:27:31 PM by 577SXS »

Offline WKevinD

Re: Tapered breech plug wrench
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 09:48:21 PM »
Of you get a chance try one of Rices breech plug wrenchs.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 10:49:51 PM »
I ground an angle and soldered on brass plate to the Jaws of mine

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »
One inch square X 12 inch long key stock + four 5/16 bolts can be adjusted to fit any taper.

Thats two pieces of key stock not just one. IIRC it was about $3-4 bucks worth of stuff to make when I made it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:28:04 PM by smylee grouch »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 11:16:41 PM »
One inch square X 12 inch long key stock + four 5/16 bolts can be adjusted to fit any taper.

Thats two pieces of key stock not just one. IIRC it was about $3-4 bucks worth of stuff to make when I made it.

YUP -- that's what I made also but on mine I cut the ends at 3" long - turned them round so I can slip a pipe over the ends - take sup less room when I put it away ;D ;D ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 06:04:26 PM »
I just use an old Smooth jawed Stilson wrench? Mine even says Ford on it  ;)
learned early on it doesn't take a gorilla or a 4' cheater to tighten a breech plug.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 01:03:58 AM »
Turning the ends round would be s good option. Some people have trouble inbreeding because they clamp the barrel in the vice right over the breech plug threads. Not good.