Author Topic: Rifle used by John Wayne in THE ALAMO: NEED PHOTOS AND DIMENSIONS  (Read 1060 times)

Peter Stines

I'm looking for good photos of the half stock percussion rifle that John Wayne used in his film THE ALAMO. From what I've read this gun was either made by Hacker Martin or that Martin modified and original piece to Wayne's needs. Some sources describe the gun as .36 caliber. It seemed really short and light. I'd like to get dimensions of this gun and pictures of the lock, patchbox, inlays etc. Also would like to get photos and measurements of the pouch and powder horn used by Wayne. I have the cover of the DGW catalog that saluted Wayne. It looks like Duke wanted a copy of the "Nashville 1822" rifle presented to Crockett and is on display at the Alamo. I have info and pictures of that gun. Any help appreciated.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Rifle used by John Wayne in THE ALAMO: NEED PHOTOS AND DIMENSIONS
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 06:15:41 PM »
You could search for the list of guns sold at this auction back in 2007. As I remember, most important guns had several pictures attached to the description.

https://www.originalprop.com/blog/dylsoagh/2007/06/little-john-auction-service.jpg
John Robbins

Offline Einsiedler

Re: Rifle used by John Wayne in THE ALAMO: NEED PHOTOS AND DIMENSIONS
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 01:36:48 AM »
I was always under the impression that longtime gun collector and one of the original member  of the Texas Gun Collectors Assn (TGCA), S. P. Stevens (of San Antonio)  supplied all the principals in the Alamo production with firearms from his personal collection. I was told this by former President of the TCGA, James T. Brown DVM, after being introduced to Mr. Stevens at a TCGA show in Dallas about 1984 or 85.