Author Topic: Henry Leman Thesis  (Read 4366 times)

Offline scottmc

Henry Leman Thesis
« on: January 29, 2021, 03:11:41 PM »

As promised, attached is a nice Thesis on "Henry Leman and His Production of the Pennsylvania Rifle."
This was written by Sam Nolt, nephew of the late Vince Nolt, while he was completing his master's degree at F&M College in Lancaster, PA.  Sam is currently a member of my club, The Lancaster Muzzle loading Rifle Association, and presented this several years ago at one of our meetings.  Enjoy!

https://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/Leman_History_Thesis.pdf

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:28:17 AM by scottmc »
Remember Paoli!

Offline OLUT

Re: Henry Leman Thesis
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 08:10:49 PM »
Although the attachments are switched, all the info is useful. Additionally, In his will, Henry was explicit, "If the executors deem it advantageous to my estate to run the Rifle Works on James Street for one or more years they may do so". "The stock of rifles, barrels, locks, mountings and all materials I order to be sold to gun dealers in the trade and not by public sale unless they can not be otherwise disposed of".
Although the "tired old man portrait" of Henry Eichholtz Leman is the one always used. I much prefer the National Gallery of Art's portrait of a younger and more vibrant man!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 12:28:50 AM »
This one takes me to the list of Lancaster gun makers. Maybe edit your topic titles.
It was my screw-up, in a hurry and only checked that the link was working to the .pdf didn't pay attention to whether it matched the topic or not! Sorry
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline scottmc

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 12:31:17 AM »
It's all good now.  I just shuffled things around.
Remember Paoli!

Offline FALout

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 03:51:58 AM »
Very good read
Bob

buck conner

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 03:35:38 AM »
Good information.

Online wormey

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 04:16:28 AM »
I enjoyed the article with one major exception!  He repeated for posterity the myth about wrapping oil soaked string around the stock and setting it on fire to create  fake stripes on a plain maple stock. Misinformation is perpetuated forever when put into print. wormey

Offline scottmc

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 06:45:28 PM »
Keep in mind that this Thesis was written in the late 60s. We have been able to unveil more information and secrets since then I believe.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 10:53:56 PM »
Before such products as "EssayEdge" came along, I did quite a bit of editing for both fiction and non-fiction authors.  And indeed, some would want the editing done to reflect one thing, another author might want it swayed in another direction.

Was usually fun, sometimes profitable, and always educational.

I find discussions on this forum to be almost always educational, and feel let down if I don't learn at least one thing each day here.  Many very knowledgeable people on the forum, ALL more than willing to share their knowledge without maintaining that theirs is the only way.  Very appreciative!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.