Author Topic: Lancaster rifle at alamo museum  (Read 1886 times)

Offline DaveM

Lancaster rifle at alamo museum
« on: February 13, 2021, 07:52:53 PM »
I saw this picture online of a rifle that was donated to the museum at the alamo.  It looks like a Lancaster made rifle.  I was curious if anyone knows anything about this gun, or who the maker is, or if anyone has been to the museum and may have any other photos of this one?

upload images

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Re: Lancaster rifle at alamo museum
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:59:45 PM »
Giggle search “ Dickert Rifle at the Alamo”. The story and good photos are there. Quite a rifle and quite a story. That rifle is 58 cal.

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline DaveM

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 12:50:39 AM »
Bob, I did see the Dickert you mention.  That is a different rifle than the one in the photo I posted, with the separate patchbox sideplates, supposedly also at the museum which is what I was curious about.  Maybe the one in the photo I posted is just another random rifle on display there.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 01:14:44 AM »
Yes Dave, a different rifle.

In 2002 Mike Branson, Jack Brooks and I stocked rifles and pistols for the latest Alamo movie, and the props folks looked at the Dickert rifle in the museum with us. The rifle has more of a Lehigh stock pattern, different mounts, and a lot of wood around the lock - looked like a contemporary restock of old parts, not what we see on old rifles or Dickert's work. There were several stories - one that this rifle was made up in the 1920's or 30's of parts donated, which may have been found in the general area. At some point they were making a replica of the rifle to raise funds for a museum. Here are couple pics below.

Movie folks wanted something else, that would have been common in 1820's and 30's, which we provided. Then plans changed, and Mike Branson made a pair of rifles in 1780's Dickert style, which Billy Bob used in the movie.

This could be another, later original Dickert / Lancaster trade rifle, or could be a contemp rifle with age. A touchy topic. Bob

Offline FALout

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 02:45:40 AM »
Movie guns are usually a “touchy topic”
Bob
Bob

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 05:48:47 PM »
Yes Dave, a different rifle.

In 2002 Mike Branson, Jack Brooks and I stocked rifles and pistols for the latest Alamo movie, and the props folks looked at the Dickert rifle in the museum with us. The rifle has more of a Lehigh stock pattern, different mounts, and a lot of wood around the lock - looked like a contemporary restock of old parts, not what we see on old rifles or Dickert's work. There were several stories - one that this rifle was made up in the 1920's or 30's of parts donated, which may have been found in the general area. At some point they were making a replica of the rifle to raise funds for a museum. Here are couple pics below.

Movie folks wanted something else, that would have been common in 1820's and 30's, which we provided. Then plans changed, and Mike Branson made a pair of rifles in 1780's Dickert style, which Billy Bob used in the movie.

This could be another, later original Dickert / Lancaster trade rifle, or could be a contemp rifle with age. A touchy topic. Bob

I was able to handle this rifle.  I made limited edition copies of it in the 1980s.  IMHO, it is a restocked Dickert rifle from 1820-early 1830s.  I examined it very closely.  The story you gave was speculation.  Chris Hirsch

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 10:12:20 PM »
I did a reverse image search on Google and found the article where the picture below was originally used (see link below).  It was in an anti-gun article on an anti-gun website.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/news/2013/10/22/77789/race-and-beyond-parsing-myth-from-reality-in-u-s-gun-culture/

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/guns-crime/view/

The caption to the picture says, "Fess Parker, who gained fame for his portrayal of Davy Crockett in the 1950s Walt Disney TV series, center, visits with Alamo director David Roberts, right, after he presented a 180-year-old Kentucky long rifle to the Alamo for its collection at the Alamo in San Antonio, Friday, March 5, 2004."

That is the most information the article gives about the rifle since it actually has nothing to do with the article's objective.

Further searching on the internet didn't turn up much other information.  Evidently, Fess Parker donated the subject rifle to the Alamo museum and a coonskin cap to the Smithsonian as part of Disney's celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Davy Crockett TV show and as a tie-in promotion of the 2004 Disney remake of the Alamo.

Disney's promotion of both events was only halfhearted as they got very little press coverage, hence the lack of details on the rifle that Fess Parker donated.
Phil Meek

Offline DaveM

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 11:37:18 PM »
Thanks very much for checking into this Bob and Phil - and yes it is was Fess Parker donated rifle that got my attention.   I was hoping for better / additional pictures, and maybe who signed the gun.  But thanks all!  I wonder if he used that rifle on the Davy Crockett series? 

Offline blienemann

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 12:15:48 AM »
Chris, thank you for your comments, as you were able to handle the rifle, and make copies. Do you have photos of the patchbox, cheek side or other details of the Dickert rifle you copied? Have you seen this second rifle that Fess gave to the Alamo folks in 2004? 180 years old puts it in the 1820's, which looks good.

Following on Mtn Meek's search, I found several articles saying that the NRA gave this second rifle to Fess Parker in 1955 - but no details or photos. Their records might tell us more? Bob