Author Topic: Bag #35 & #36 - Sibling plain mountain bags  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Marcruger

Bag #35 & #36 - Sibling plain mountain bags
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:10:07 AM »
A good friend asked if I would make a couple of bags of a pattern he likes to accompany two rifles he's building.  I created these two of 4-5 ounce cowhide, 6.5" by 7", with a small internal pocket in each.  These are simple, such as would be for an average man to carry with a less dressy gun.  Function over frills.  I tend to like to make fancier bags, but I think these carry the look with their shape and finish.  Iron buckles.  Waxed Irish linen thread hand stitched.  Sorry about the poor photos.  My favorite photo tree out back is standing in cold rain right now.  Best wishes and God Bless,    Marc

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Bag #35 & #36 - Sibling plain mountain bags
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 12:17:51 AM »
 Good looking bags, the stitching looks good and the bags look like they are period.

Tim
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 09:23:19 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 03:00:34 AM »
Looks good to me as well hope they enjoy the bags.
-Robert

Offline DougS

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 04:46:52 PM »
Simple yet beautiful!

Love the rich color.

Thanks for sharing Marc.

Regards,

Doug

Offline old george

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 04:54:08 PM »
Nice looking bags. I second the choice of color also.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 06:01:15 PM »
Very nice. Everything neat and clean, this makes simplicity elegant.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 07:06:24 PM »
Good lookin bags Marc!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 11:00:03 PM »
Thank you for the kind words gents.

As far as the color, I was pretty pleased with the deep russet color.  If you like it, then credit James Rogers for that.  He taught me a lot of the process.  If you don't like it, it was my fault.   :-) 

It is Fiebing's Pro Dye "Dark Brown" thinned down.  I applied two coats and let each dry overnight.  This is the hard part....it often looks fairly unappealing at this stage....sort of like AF on maple with no finish.  These two dye coats left the color sort of a light rust with a mauve tint.  Yech.  You have to stop a couple of shades lighter than you ultimately want.  Burnish the leather well.  Once dried, I rubbed a light coat of neatsfoot oil into the leather with a paper towel.  Once set overnight, I did that again.  The oil takes the color down a shade and adds richness.  Once allowed to set/disperse overnight, burnish again.  Then I add my top finish, which again darkens the leather by one shade.  Buff well and the finish is done. 

On this one, I wanted sort of a "marbled" effect, as these are supposed to replicate a bag appropriate to perhaps the SW mountains of NC.  Not a professional leathercrafting shop in London. 

Thank you again, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 03:20:42 AM »
That’s a couple more nice ones, Marc!  Those should bring the new owner many years of service, and look good doing it!  I think I’ve turned the corner on this bout of COVID, and I’m itching to get back in the shop. Nothing big planned, but I have a lot of little projects piling up.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 08:52:54 AM »
They look great, Marc. Greg glad to hear you’re about to beat this bug.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 04:30:35 PM »
Nice looking pair of bags Marc, especially like the color and your explanation how it was achieved.  Keep on sewing.

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Palmetto1781

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 06:07:18 PM »
Great looking bags. Marc, I am continuously amazed at the range and diversity of your work. From the simple to intricately detailed and everything in between you continue to provide great examples of leatherwork. Be it a gentleman hunter or backwoodsman scout your bags always seem to fit right in with 18th century living! Can't wait to see what you show us next!  Regards, Bill