Author Topic: W N & J M Beals WR Longrifle  (Read 2322 times)

MoJo1161

W N & J M Beals WR Longrifle
« on: March 01, 2021, 09:01:59 PM »
I inherited this longrifle and do not know much about this gun. I did find out that W N & J N Beals were gunmakers in East Tennessee. I would appreciate any input regarding this gun.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: W N & J M Beals WR Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:46:50 PM »
 :o :o... William Nelson and Joseph Morgan BEALS  built longrifles in the Unicoi Co. Tennessee area between 1860-1890 era,... they built some of the finest Tennessee rifles I have examined,..it is also believed they may have made barrels to sell to other gunsmiths in the area,... I cannot tell much from these photos,... give some photos of the cheek side, the barrel tang, trigger-guard, rammer entry pipe, toeplate and muzzle,... detail shots of these areas will help I.D. ,.... CCF 

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 11:16:59 PM »
 ;) ;)... MoJo,... I don't know where you are located, but you must get Dave Byrd's blue book,...CCF

MoJo1161

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 11:45:22 PM »
Thanks Cade Cove Fiddler. I will take more pictures. I live in Oklahoma. Have family in Tennessee.

MoJo1161

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 11:53:49 PM »
Cades Cove Fiddler,
I just looked on the map where Cades Cove is located, that is assuming your user name reflects a location. I am attending a family wedding in the Walland, TN area in the month of April. I would be willing to bring the gun in hopes that you could look at it, which might help determine the origination of this gun.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 01:03:50 AM »
 8) 8)... will be glad to try to connect,... BTW,... the Knoxville gun show is April 30-May1,... more original Tennessee made rifles than you can shake a stick at,...

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 09:30:17 PM »
:o :o... William Nelson and Joseph Morgan BEALS  built longrifles in the Unicoi Co. Tennessee area between 1860-1890 era,... they built some of the finest Tennessee rifles I have examined,..it is also believed they may have made barrels to sell to other gunsmiths in the area,... I cannot tell much from these photos,... give some photos of the cheek side, the barrel tang, trigger-guard, rammer entry pipe, toeplate and muzzle,... detail shots of these areas will help I.D. ,.... CCF
Yes the Beals did make gun barrels for sale to others, I have photos of a Gillespie with a Beals barrel on it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline albert

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 02:52:41 AM »
Does anyone know if William Beals ever put just W B on his guns instead of spelling out his name? I  have a nice Tennessee style half stock rifle with just initials  , 46" handforged bbl.
j albert miles

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 04:07:15 AM »
 :)... I've never seen one,... is yours stamped or engraved,... post some photos of the gun and the signature,...

Offline albert

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 05:49:54 PM »

j albert miles

Offline albert

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 05:51:08 PM »

j albert miles

Offline albert

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 05:52:03 PM »
j albert miles

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 09:22:56 PM »
Here is a barrel signed by Wm N Beals

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

MoJo1161

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 09:59:58 PM »
Cades Cove Fiddler
Here are some more pictures. I apologize for not getting this posted sooner. I hope these photos are what you asked for.